Ste
Ste

How to reinstall Vista.

I would like to know how to reinstall windows vista on my A205-S5825 laptop.

I can give the serial number if needed.

Reformatting the hard drive as well, I do have the operating system disk as it was included when I purchased it.

I don't know how to do this so if you could provide step by step instructions on how to do a clean install that would be great.

many thanks.

I have tried googling them, but have not found anything yet..

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: How to reinstall Vista.

Is your disk a Recovery Disk or an actual Windows Install Disk?  Toshiba normally only includes Recovery Disks. 

See page 59 of your owners manual for instructions on Re-installing Windows.  Unless you have an actual WIndows Install Disk you will only be able to do a Recovery Install from a disk image back to Factory Out Of Box State rather than a Clean Install of Windows. 

The manual is on your hard drive in Adobe Acrobat Format.  If you can't locate it you can download a new copy by:

1. Clicking on the Product Support Link at the top of this page
  2. Clicking on the BLUE TEXT LINK that states Show All Models
  3. Entering in your models information
  4. Clicking on the User's Guide Tab
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Ste
Ste

I have already checked that guide but there is no instructions on how to reinstall and reformat the HD from the operating system disk.

It doesn't even seem to have reimage options from the recovery disk.

This is why Im asking, because I already checked the obvious places..

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=199822...

I may have to email toshiba for specific instructions?

Ste
Ste

ok well Im just going to try the recovery to out of box state first. And see if that solves the problem.

The reason I need to reimage/reinstall is because I have been trying to install office 2007 and when that did not work office 2003, and no matter what I try the setup continues to say I do not have permission to access the registry.

Ive tried over 20 different things along with the fixes in this artical. (Ive really tried everything)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687

So Im hopping a reimage will correct this and allow me to install office 2007

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If I'm not mistaken that system came with a version of Office 2007 trial version.  Did you un-install that first?  If not, that would prevent you from installing a full version. 

You might want to give the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility a shot to remove any previous versions of Office (such as the trial) as well as any leftovers from the failed installations. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Ste
Ste

The laptop is actually not mine, But I certainly did not see a trail version of it, and I did remove and older version of office through the add/remove programs before trying to install other versions.

I also did registry  cleaners and a boat load of other solutions to try and get it to work..

But thanks for that information, Ill make sure that if there is a trial version of it, it is removed using the program you suggested first, before trying to install a full version.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A205-S5825 

the setup continues to say I do not have permission to access the registry.

Try this. Right-click on the setup file and click Run as administrator.

In Windows Vista, it's not sufficient to log in with Administrator privileges.

-Jerry
Ste
Ste

First thing I tried, as well as many attempts on the hidden admin account..

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I doubt the previous version of Office has anything to do with this registry-permission problem, but it won't hurt to scrub the registry of any vestiges using Microsoft's Cleanup Utility.

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

-Jerry
Ste
Ste

The user is having problems getting into the recovery console (The one that can be accessed by holding down 0 as it is turned on, or so the user guide says)

I will have to email him again to see if he got it working..

But if after the out of box state recovery he still can't install it, Ill give that registry thing u linked a try.

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The user is having problems getting into the recovery console (The one that can be accessed by holding down 0 as it is turned on, or so the user guide says)

Sometimes one needs to burn the recovery discs instead.

the setup continues to say I do not have permission to access the registry

Can you quote the precise message, please?

-Jerry