Occasional Contributor
HaPo

How do I get Num Lock to go ON at start up (or restart)?

How do I get Num Lock to go ON at start up (or restart)?

My laptop, which came with Vista installed as the operating system, automatically lit up the Num Lock. Since upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit), this no longer happens. I have been told that this is a BIOS function and not a Windows function.

I have tried Toshiba > Utilities > Toshiba Assist > Optimize, but there is no setting apparent to me. I have also tried both F2 and F12 at boot up but, again, no setting seems appropriate to change.

Thanks for any useful hints.

HaPo

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How do I get Num Lock to go ON at start up (or restart)?

These two Microsoft articles apply to Windows Vista and 7 as well as Windows XP.

How to Set the NUM LOCK State at Logon in Windows XP

How do I enable the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen?

The value InitialKeyboardIndicators in the following registry key may now be set to the string 2147483648, which is the decimal equivalent of 0x80000000 (zero with a leading bit). It can be changed to 2 by setting the decimal string to 2147483650, which is 0x80000002. (I understand that the presence of that leading bit causes a BIOS setting of On to override a registry setting of Off.)

HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Thanks, Jerry. I finally got someone to explain to me how to edit a register entry, and found that the value you suggested to change to 2 was already set to 2, both in USERS and in CURRENTUSER. Any other suggestions - for which I thank you in advance.

Harvey

The value InitialKeyboardIndicators in the following registry key may now be set to the string 2147483648, which is the decimal equivalent of 0x80000000 (zero with a leading bit). It can be changed to 2 by setting the decimal string to 2147483650, which is 0x80000002. (I understand that the presence of that leading bit causes a BIOS setting of On to override a registry setting of Off.)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If it always turns up the way you don't like it, Harvey, you can use the technique described in the first article to toggle that state every time that Windows starts. Here's a step by step.

1. Download the attached file Numlock.vbs.txt to your hard drive. Remove the .txt extension so that it becomes Numlock.vbs. Double-click it in Windows Explorer to confirm that it toggles your numlock state. You may need to tell your malware protection that this file is not a bad guy.

2. Place a shortcut to that file (or the file itself) in the following folder.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

That will toggle the numlock state upon boot for every account.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Thanks, again, Jerry. Your explanation was much easier to follow than the one in the article. I need to define my problem more clearly... I have a password which must be entered before Windows is fully activated. This password is at least partially numeric, and I want the NumLock to be on when the password must be entered. Implementing the Numlock.vbs solution still requires that I turn the NumLock on manually - and then promptly turns it off once I enter the password :smileysurprised: - not quite what I wanted. Is there any way that you know of - short of eliminating the numerals from the password - that I can get the NumLock on automatically BEFORE entering the password, and which leaves it on? Once more, thanks, in advance. Harvey

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

the value you suggested to change to 2 was already set to 2, both in USERS and in CURRENTUSER.

Carefully set the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2147483650 in this key.

Which computer do you have?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Hi, Jerry,

Before I forget - I have an L350. When I first posted, I did not realize that there was more than one forum, and posted to the incorrect one.

I put the full decimal value (instead of just the '2') into the key - both the general startup key and the current user key - and tried the new value both with Numlock.vbs present and absent in the Startup folder. Still, the NumLock key does not go on prior to my being asked for my password. Am I doomed?

Thanks,

Harvey

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have tried Toshiba > Utilities > Toshiba Assist > Optimize

Harvey, see if the BIOS setting we're looking for is in here.

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > HWSetup

Which Satellite L350? What is the part number? Which country?

..both with Numlock.vbs present and absent in the Startup folder.

That won't be executed until after the login screen.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

L350-ST3702 PSLD8U-08U025 Purchased and activated in the USA, although that's not where I am now.

I went through all of the tabs in the file you recommended. Nothing fit the NumLock=On criteria. The only choice on the Keyboard tab was whether the keyboard could be used to wake the computer from the sleep state. It is set to Disabled.

Thanks for keeping on trying.

Harvey

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L350-ST3702 

I put the full decimal value (instead of just the '2') into the key - both the general startup key and the current user key

I'd like to know more about that. We are interested in this key.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

In my system, the value InitialKeyboardIndicators occurs only in the keys shown on the attachment. The one above is the only one with \.DEFAULT\.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

I just discovered that only .txt files can be attached, so I am sending the attachment again, hoping that it will be usable.

Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Hi, Jerry,

I had prepared another response, before sending you the attachment, but it obviously did not get posted (my fault, I'm sure). I also see that the attachment is useless. So here's what I wanted to send in the first place.

The Initial Keyboard Values under the Current User key has the same path as the one you sent me for User Keys, except for the Default step. The method I use to access the Keys is Window Key + R, regedit + Enter. I changed both of the keys to the decimal value you gave me. The one in the User Keys now shows 0x80000002, but the one in the Current User key reverts back to 2 each time I try to change it.

I have also looked through the BIOS settings and found no entry for the NumLock default. If you can tell me a quick way to determine the edition of the BIOS which I have, I will tell you what it is; if not, I will restart and find it out.

Again, the NumLock=On worked fine under Vista, but changed when I upgraded to Windows 7.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have a password which must be entered before Windows is fully activated. This password is at least partially numeric, and I want the NumLock to be on when the password must be entered.

I does look like the best thing to do is change the password. You should be able to reach symbols using upper case. And we do know how to flip the thing after logging in. Will that work?

I also see that the attachment is useless.

BTW, that attachment works just fine. One downloads it, removes the .txt extension, and opens the .doc file.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Aw, shucks! I thought we (more like YOU) could lick this. However, the workaround does do the job. (For anyone who is following this thread, I changed the password to avoid numerics, and added the file Numlock.vbs to the start menu as instructed higher up.)

Thanks, Jerry, for your patience and your perseverance. And thanks for explaining how to get to the attachment (I did not have to do this for your attachment.)

Harvey

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't feel good about this solution, Harvey. Seems like we should be able to understand what's going on in your 32-bit Windows 7.

A clue may be that the data for the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators in this registry key flips from 0x80000002 to 2 when Windows is restarted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

If I have any other thoughts, I'm going to add them to this thread. I hope you and others will do the same.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Hi, Jerry,

Just to bring you up to date, I have gone back in and removed the Numlock.vbs from the startup file. While my new, non-numeric password WAS setting the NumLock on, eventually something triggered it to turn off again. So I am back to square 1.

Harvey

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

my new, non-numeric password WAS setting the NumLock on..

Sorry, I don't comprehend what you're describing. I don't even understand what the part above means.

Please take baby steps.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

Original question: How to get NumLock to be "on" automatically at Start (cold) or Restart (warm).

Supplementary: How to get this to happen BEFORE entering the password, part of which was numeric, to enter any "user" profile.

Your two proposed solutions: 1) Redefine the Initial Keyboard Indicators, and/or 2) insert Numlock.vbs in the startup folder. The first solution did not seem to work at all, since the value was already set correctly at '2', although not in the recommended hexadecimal form.

The second solution appeared to work, but only AFTER entering the password which, by this time, I had changed to non-numeric. I was writing now only to update you that the second solution also does not work. It will turn the NumLock on as soon as I enter the password and press Enter, but something else turns it off shortly afterward. Consequently, I have removed the Numlock.vbs from the startup folder, and am back to square one - activating NumLock manually. But, at least now it stays on.

Despite our mutual disappointment, I still cannot sufficiently express my thanks for your sharing and your perseverance.

Harvey

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for that.

It [numlock.vbs] will turn the NumLock on as soon as I enter the password and press Enter, but something else turns it off shortly afterward.

Strange. You must have made some change to cause this new effect.

But, at least now it stays on.

Stays on? But not through a reboot. Through what? Am I still missing something here?

Feel free to end things at this point. I don't believe I can help more. Just curiosity at this point.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
HaPo

You are quite correct. The NumLock now stays on for the duration of the current session, but turns off upon a cold or warm boot. While I had numlock.vbs in the start folder, the NumLock light status would change during the session. I did not try to investigate the circumstances.