Borsiay
Accepted Solution

Hard drive interface compatibility

I have a Satellite A205-S5812 I want to replace the HDD with a larger one. Most of the hard drives I see are SATA/300 or SATA 3GB/s I do see a few SATA 1.5GB/s.

The spec sheet for my A205 just says Serial ATA.

I know that the drive in my HP laptop has blades that engage as the drive is dropped in and that the drive in my Toshiba requires that the drive be put in place then push in to engage the drive.

I live in a foreign country so I need to get this right the first time as I can't return or exchange anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: Hard drive interface compatibility

You should not have any problem in running a 250 G HD.  Make sure that you get a SATA 2.5".

Can I advise that you make a clone of your present HD, then it will be a question of one out/one in and you will be running as new.

Borsiay

Yes I am going to get a cloning setup.

My question isn't about the size (2.5" x 9.5mm)

Not all SATA HDDs are interchangeable just because it is 2.5x9.5 doesn't mean that it will match up.

There are different SATA interfaces. There is one that uses 7 blades and the drive just drops in engaging the blades. I think this is called SATA/300 or ATA 7. My HP uses this type.

The Toshiba uses a different interface where you place the drive in the case then slide it onto the connector. They only refer to it as SATA. Maybe when the A205 was made this was the only SATA.

How do I know which drives will fit / interface with my Toshiba what is the Toshiba SATA interface called? 

Borsiay

OK after reading instructions posted online, not in the HP manual, it looks like there is tiny adapter of some sort on the HP SATA HDD disguising the SATA interface. I don't have it with me as I had to return it for a motherboard replacement. I only remember taking the drive out and putting it back in.

So apparently there is only 1 SATA interface and any 70mm x 9.5mm drive will work.

Thanks to all.

PS don't buy an HP,, lol  

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Good morning Borsiay.

Borsiay wrote:

OK after reading instructions posted online, not in the HP manual, it looks like there is tiny adapter of some sort on the HP SATA HDD disguising the SATA interface. I don't have it with me as I had to return it for a motherboard replacement. I only remember taking the drive out and putting it back in.

So apparently there is only 1 SATA interface and any 70mm x 9.5mm drive will work.

Thanks to all.

PS don't buy an HP,, lol  

I goggled this for you :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

It might help understanding the "standard" in the industry.  I think that all laptops use the same connector, the one with the L notch on the two banks.  Keep in mind that nothing is standard !   ;-)

HP are good machines. Here, I read that a senior contributor would not buy a Toshiba, I run two and they are great. I do not drop them, I do not open them unnecessarily. Treat them nicely and the machine will perform.

Borsiay

Yes; there is only 1 laptop SATA interface, as I mentioned above. I ordered a WD 320gb 7200 rpm drive for my Toshiba.

The HP uses some type of connector that allows the case, or at least the drive bay, to be slightly narrower because the drive drops straight in. However the outside dimensions of the HP and Toshiba are the same.

As for HPs being good machines I have my doubts. My brother has 3 / 2 older ones and 1 new. They all run very hot and their power supplies not only run very hot but fail frequently he has replaced the PS more than once. They have all been to the repair shop multiple times. (Some of that is his fault.) The power supply for my HP is pretty cheesy it weighs 1/2 what the Toshiba weighs and is probably twice as hot under equal loads. Exact same dimensions, voltage, amperage, etc; even the wire is of a poorer grade and less flexible.  

I bought my HP only because I could buy it very cheap and I wanted a backup for my Toshiba should I ever have problems with it. Laptops, and any other PC, are 2-3x the US prices down here in Colombia.

My Toshiba, after I dumped Vista and upgraded to XP, has been very good. I have traveled with it since 2006 with very few problems. The only issue I have with it is that every once in awhile the display driver stops and I have to reboot.

Bottom line I should have known better than to buy an HP. Hopefully when I get it back it will be OK but I probably won't see it for at least a month or 2. This will be its 3rd mobo, the original + 2 replacements. Not a very good record considering that is has only been used about 3 months and only lightly.