formerlysmart

Hard drive crashed, replaced and usb ports don't quite work like they used to??

[ Edited ]

I need some adivce.  My hard drive crashed so I took it to a repair shop.  When I took it in they warned me that for this A135-S2276 their recovery process might "knock out the usb ports".  With no back up HD I agreed anyway (yes I was backing up and that apparently wasn't working correctly either).

Now the ports work with some devices, but not my Canon camera, nor my external drive, nor some thumb drives.

I hope I have provided enough information for some advice. 

My question is, I suppose, is there anything I can do about this problem short of getting a new laptop?

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: Hard drive crashed, replaced and usb ports don't quite work like they used to??

they should have fixed it correctly. if the recovery process was done correct then it would have been returned to factory out of box condition. if your usb ports worked when you first took it out of the box then they would work after the recovery. i would take it back and make them fix it.

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
formerlysmart

Re: Hard drive crashed, replaced and usb ports don't quite work like they used to??

Thanks civicman4.  Taking it back is an option of course.  I was trying to see if this was a common/known issue or not.

I forgot to mention I am running the factory Vista OS.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

well vista could always cause problems. it is very good at that. there has been a problem with several models usb ports not working but this should not happen after a restore. you can try to uninstall them in device manager then reboot the laptop. this will have windows try to reinstall them. if that doesnt work then you will either have to take it back to that place or a authorized toshiba repair center.

-civicman4-
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
formerlysmart

The place I took it to is an authorized Toshiba sc, so that would be one trip. 

Is there any reason to believe that Windows 7 might help, or is that just me looking for some new reason to justify that purchase?

Thanks.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

if there are problems in vista then they will be carried over to se7en if you upgrade. with a clean install you may be able to get everything up and running but you may have to check toshibas downloads to make sure they have supplied all the drivers you will need for your system

-civicman4-