bridle
Accepted Solution

Hard Drive Recovery

Hi Folks,
I own a Toshiba Satellite L655 - S5071 computer. 

I need help recovering my hard disc.

Recently I had a malware destroy many of my files and programs.  It was so serious that it dug deep and managed to destroy some items in the Control Panel.  I tried to do a restore but it simply makes things worse.  Now icons are distorted and files/programs destroyed.

Now, I need to reformat the hard drive and install Windows 7 and I’m having problems.

Fortunately I made the install discs --- as it was suggested when I purchased the computer.  And I have the Windows 7 Upgrade key, since I upgraded on purchase to a Home Premium version.

So here’s the problem, I tried to follow the owner's instructions to search “Recovering the Internal Storage Drive” and the instructions do not come up.  Perhaps the virus/malware destroyed that information, but I’m not sure.

So I’m stuck on how to proceed.  I’m a bit afraid to use the recovery discs without knowing the process for fear that the malware might also destroy those discs.

What should I do first?

Any help is appreciated.

Tom

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Hard Drive Recovery

Satellite L655-S5071 Specifications

Satellite L655-S5071 Downloads

There's very little chance that the malware messed up your Toshiba Recovery partition. But, it's not uncommon for it to become corrupted over time anyway. That's why you make a set of recovery disks, just in case that happens.

It sounds like you've been diligent in your reading & preparation, etc. But, just to make sure, when you try to run the recovery utility from the hard drive, you need to power off your unit, press and hold down the '0' (zero) key as you power on, and keep holding down the '0' key until you see the Toshiba Recovery menu.

No joy? Time to use your recovery disks. There is absolutely no chance the malware wil be able to corrupt your recovery disks. The malware is on your hard drive, almost without doubt just as part of the Windows installation. You will be booting off the recovery disks, so the malware program will have no chance to start. The first thing the recovery disks will do is re-partition and re-format your hard drive. This should wipe out all traces of the malware.

With the machine powered on, open your DVD drive, power off the unit by holding the power button down for at least 5 seconds, insert recovery disk 1 and close the DVD drive, power on, as soon as you see the Toshiba logo press the F12 key at the top of the keyboard to enter the Boot Sequence menu, use the up-down arrow keys to select the CD/DVD Optical Disk Drive, hit 'Enter' to boot from that drive.

With either the HDD or Disk recovery methods, select the return the unit to its factory default out-of-the-box settings.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

bridle

Hey Mike,

Thanks much for the step-by-step.  I'll give this a whirl and see what happens.  Crazy, isn't it, that this 'stuff' is out there.  Again, thanks.

Super Advisor
miker643

Happy to help. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

bridle

Mike,

You were right on the money.  I never had to bother with the disks.  Everything installed perfectly from the hard drive.  Thanks much for the help.

Super Advisor
miker643

Always happy to help if possible bridle. You're very welcome.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. The majority of the time people never let us know what happened. So, we really appreciate it when someone let's us know.

Mike

Pirealuar

When you come across the virus/malware destroy, you should not be Panic. There is no need to panic. If you computer can recognize your hard disk. You have the chance to recover all your data from the disk by the help of data recovery software. As to the partitions lost/damaged, I would suggest you try Yesterdata. The "HDD partitions Lost/Damaged" module may solve your problems easily.

If you have formatted your hard disk complete, don't write new data to it. (The Windows OS Only). Data overwritten is terrible for your lost data.