libbynoreo

HELP! Satellite A105-S4284 Help

[ Edited ]

Nobody has answered me yet so I reworded some of it so maybe someone will know how to help me out. Please help, this is making me nuts, this computer being so slow when I am trying to work.

I need to upgrade but I am not sure what all needs to be upgraded, I use my computer for work, I do customer support phone calls on it, I use a DSL line threw AT&T, the phone has its own line the computer is the only thing that goes threw the DSL. I have the high speed line DSL. This computer has begun to slow down, I have two 512mb memory cards in it, I dont know what else is in it, It is WindosXP . When I right click on my computer it says genuine intel CPU T2050@1.60GHz 1.60 GHz, 504 MB of RAM. Some people tell me to replace the processor some say replace the RAM, I dont know what to do all I know is I need a faster computer, not for video or gaming but for work, if you all could tell me what upgrades I need to make to help with this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Sheila

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Satellite A105-S4284 Help

Upgrading to two gigs of ram would probably help and shouldn't cost that much You should update the bios to the latest version though to make sure the full amount of ram is utilized.  Use  2 sticks of Kingston KTT533D2/1G or KTT667D2/1G for best results and compatability.

CPU Upgrades are a lot more difficult on laptops than on desktops.  You would probably be able to upgrade to a T2450 from your current T2050, but that would only be an increase from 1.6GHz to 2.0GHz which might not be worth it depending on how much the new cpu costs.

To update the bios, go to the Product Support Link at the top of this page, enter in your model, then clik on the Download Tab to find the available bios files for that model.  DO NOT update the bios from within Windows.  Don't do it, don't even think about doing it if you want to use your computer again.  When you double click on the download you will be presented with the choice of creating a CD to flash the bios from.  USE THIS METHOD.  You can use a CD-RW so you don't waste a blank, but even the cost of a regular blank CD is cheap compared to the $100 that most places will charge you to fix a botched bios flash.  Make sure that your battery is fully charged, installed, and the AC Adapter is plugged in just in case.  

And don't forget to go into the bios and hit the F9 key to set Bios/Setup Defaults then F10 to exit and save just prior to and immediately after updating the bios.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

DarthFiber

Re: HELP! Satellite A105-S4284 Help

[ Edited ]

Ok there one thing you can do to improve your laptop's speed without spending money...

First thing is to do standard system maintenance  mainly keeping your Harddrive in good shape:

1.  Install all programs you don't use

2.  Reduce the number of programs that automatically run at start-up

3.  Back up your old files and clean out the "crud" that long time use of a computer can create I suggest a program called ccleaner (did I mentioning to back up your files first?)

4   Defragment your Harddrive.

Physically your computer could probably use a little cleaning...

There is a cooler in your system it had a fan and copper heatsink, on my A105-2201 the exhaust is on the left side.

1. Turn off your computer, unplugged, and battery is removed

2. Close your computer and turn it over, locate the fan.

3. Find something strong and thin to place into the fan to Keep it from turning. ( This is done to since a electrical motor can double as a generator and if spun too fast enough it could send dangerous voltage to your mobo)

4. Using a can of air or compressed air, shoot the air into the exhaust vent (not the intake) and watch dust fly out.

As for a upgrade....

I have two upgrades to suggest, 

First is one you mentioned Ram,  I saw much improvement in performance when I upgrades from 512mb to 1.5gig especially when using memory hungry applications like firefox.  Moving to 2 gigs will speed up your system and help eliminate some wear and tear on your HDD...

Now lets talk about your HDD.  I am not specifically talking upgrading in size but in speed.  Your drive is likely to be spin at 5400 RPM and there are better/quicker accessing options out there. You can get a HDD that spins at a faster at 7200 rpm allowing information to be read quicker, this would noticeably speed up loading of applications and the OS itself.   Another consideration is the Cache size on the HDD, roughly it is memory on a HDD having more of it can also aid in system speed when accessing large amounts of data on your HDD.

I don't want to go too in depth on the second part of HDD discussion,  but there is a alternative to spinning Harddrives, called solid state drives (SSD).  These are basically Drives using microchips to store your data instead of a magnetic spinning disc.  SSD devices can be much quicker to access data than traditional harddrives and are much more durable in portable electronics (used in military and commercial aircraft, as well as NASA), but more expensive from a price/storage view.  If you do decide to purchase a SSD (solid state drive) beware, since the market is relatively new still the not all the drives are equal, look for drives using MLC technology, specifically Intel's own drives or drives using Intel's SSD technology.

Boki

First step to improve speed is to kill - uninstall all programs that you don't need/use , which means if there is a bunch of icons in right bottom corner beside the clock, you have as much programs working in background every time you turn on laptop. Many installed programs and applications has option *by default* to be loaded all together with OS, so you must check your startup programs and cancel all programs which are not important for your specific needs. Speed of your laptop is very dependon several factors - of  % of RAM usage, % of Hdisc usage,try to  keep your registry cleanest possible and from my experience - most important factor is to use best antiviral software - KASPERSKY. Program you will download use and love CCcleaner..

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/download/5fe2e2248a38a9e27491341bff4c1a21/

Install, read options and use it. together with kaspersky antivirus it's best combo to keep your toshiba clean fast and protected. If this doesn't help you ... only thing that will is new clean installation but not from factory disc. It already has dozen background programs that kill speed in very begining. Try this you dont need any upgrades..*if there is 2gb ram*

WISH YOU LUCK !

especially if you don't read windows during installation process  processes  keep registry cleanest possible

FG
FG

Seems you've received some good suggestions, for the most part. 

Press control/alt/del to see what processes are running while your system is idle and while you're working.  You may see some that you desire to turn off or remove, just be sure its not something you'll need later, if removing it. 

The memory upgrade and harddrive clean up (and I don't see why you'd need an external program for this, simply use your system tools) are probably the two most important.  You may desire to turn off your automatic updates for your MS programs and anti-virus, also.  Just remember to periodically update these, esp the anti-virus.  If you're not using it for surfing the web, you may desire to turn off your anti-virus all together.  I use AVG and it does slow down my computer with all the scannig it does continuously while I'm on the web.  Defragmenting and removing old/unused files from the harddrive often helps a good bit.  Also, check to see how much memory your system is recognizing at present and compare that to what you have installed.  This is to make sure your two sticks of memory are still good.

Hope you the best.

jana_viestura

I have the same laptop Toshiba Satellite A105-S4284 and 1 Gb Ram and wanted to upgrate it more with 2 Gb Ram, I bought KTT667D2/2G, but when I install into computer it not work properly, the scree become dark in 2-3 min, sometimes immiadetly upon loading Windows XP, and i have Bios Ver. 2.00. What could it be? Thank you a lot.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hello Sheila.

If you have done the DVD recovery disks, I can suggest to save all your personal data then redo the machine and after, reload all your apps.  These machines get bloated after a while and thinning them really helps. This will be your dreamed off occasion to purge your computor.   Have at it !

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

jana_viestura wrote:

I have the same laptop Toshiba Satellite A105-S4284 and 1 Gb Ram and wanted to upgrate it more with 2 Gb Ram, I bought KTT667D2/2G, but when I install into computer it not work properly, the scree become dark in 2-3 min, sometimes immiadetly upon loading Windows XP, and i have Bios Ver. 2.00. What could it be? Thank you a lot.

Enter the bios, load setup defaults, then save and exit. 

Are you trying to use this new stick of ram with the old one to make a total of 3gigs?  If so what are the specs of the original ram that came in it? 

Have you tried it with JUST the new ram? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

jana_viestura

I have tried it with JUST the new ram, the blue screen is appear. I think two identical memeory ram in two slots may resolve this problem. I order one more memory, after I let you know how it is.