Occasional Contributor
Brayton

Connecting Laptop and HDTV

I want to connect my Toshiba Laptop A505-S6980 to my Sony Bravia HDTV.  The computer has the HDMI output and the tv has four or five HDMI connection places.  Can someone give me the steps.  After I connect the cable is it just a matter of turning on the computer and turning on the tv and my computer screen will be on the tv.  Do I have to move the tv input button on the tv remote to get to the computer screen. Once I get a screen on the tv can I just put a cd in the d drive and will it play on the tv.  My wife will kill me if I mess up the tv and the computer at the same time.  I bought the HDMI cable today and I'm ready to try it and I'm just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks,

Brayton 

Super Advisor
brad

Re: Connecting Laptop and HDTV

Plug the cable in to the computer, and the TV.

The HDMI input on the TV will likely be labelled HDMI1, HMDI2, etc.  note which one you used, then use the TV input selector to pick that input.

On the computer, press and hold the Fn key, then press F5, it should pop up a box, keep the Fn held down and repeatedly press F5 until you've got the selection where it has the computer screen as "1" and the TV as "2"

That should get you both screens, but with the TV as just showing the background.

When you put a DVD into the computer, if it starts playing on the computer screen, you should be able to double click the player title bar if it is full screen, then drag the player window over to the TV and double click the title bar again to maximize it there.

If you can't get the dual screen setup to work, you should be able to use the Fn-F5 to set just the TV enabled, and everything will be just on the TV.  A bit simpler.

Occasional Contributor
Brayton

Re: Connecting Laptop and HDTV

Brad

Thanks for your help.  That worked great and I didn't have any problems.  I opted for the simpler method of just enabling the tv. I appreciate your help. 

Brayton