mlaboy777

Blank Screen after boot up page

I have a Toshiba A205-S7458 Laptop. When I start up it will go into the boot up menu, then it will ask me if I want to repair or start windows normally. then windows will load files. then then the microsoft load bar will start. then a black screen, and then my cursor will show for the whole duration. If I select if I want to repair it will go through the same process.  I am currently in Iraq and am limited to computer repair shops. We have an IT repair guy but he will not work on personal computers. Please help me with my means of communications to my family. 
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Blank Screen after boot up page

To deal with startup problems in Windows Vista, one needs either an installation DVD or an Anytime Upgrade DVD.

Otherwise, one can download the necessary disc from Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download.

Then see Microsoft's How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair start....

If necessary, use System Restore in the System Recovery Options dialog box to restore Windows Vista to a restore point that was created earlier.

-Jerry
skinnysim

Would the same apply for A215-7422, i have a similar problem, i get the boot screen, then blank (not black), can not boot from recovery cd, iam able to get into bios (F12), but nothing in there helps, bios is ver;1.00 (does that need to updated), thought it was a bad hard drive; so i replaced that with a brand new one:smileysad:, that did not help, same symptoms. if i get a bootable cd of the latest bios will i be able to load it (ref blank screen) or could it be something else thats wrong. this my kids laptop (15yrs old) and she is not going to survive to the end of the weekend if it cant be fixed. please help her and save my sanity
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

can not boot from recovery cd

If your optical drive is shot, there's not much you can do yourself.

-Jerry
skinnysim

Thanks for responding Jerry, you think i can do something using a usb port, i am just trying to figure if this laptop is salvagable. thankyou sir
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know if that model will boot from a USB-connected optical drive or not. Perhaps the BIOS can tell you.

If not, you're stuck replacing the internal optical drive.

-Jerry
skinnysim

Thanks again, yes in the bios I have boot from "USB memory" I was thinking of putting the recovery disc on to a big USB stick (one disc at a time) does that make any sense,even though i can hear the optical drive startup, but no display; and you sir , dont think it could just be outdated bios (i have 1.00 and have seen as high aas 1.80, toshiba says 1.70 update resolved "intermitent blank screen")
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I would expect it to say something about USB boot from CD/DVD disc if that were possible.
-Jerry
srushing

Hello , I am having the same problems, i just submitted a post today over the same issues.  I put my recovery CD disk or whatever the disk is that came in the box and attempted startup repair which got me back to all of mystuff except my system now runs insanely slows and says Windows Host stopped working.  I tried system restore without the disk in and keeps telling my restore was unsuccessful and i have tried like 3 different restore points.  I am not computer savvy and i am as well having heeps of difficulty.