richardkk

A300 keeps restarting by itself

My A300 Satellite started a behaivor of restarting by itself. I thought it was an infection issue, so i installed an anti-virus software and scanned - but the problem persisted. Then i thought it was an overheating issue, so i took it to an expert and had it "opened up" and cleaned - still, the problem continues.

It is a Toshiba A300-1G3 C202 Satellite

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: A300 keeps restarting by itself

Satellite A300-1G3 (PSAG0E-02K029G3)

Tell us more about the restarting issue.

When does it occur? How often? At the same time of day?

Does it matter whether you are in hibernation mode or not?

Are you attached to a network when it happens?

Does it matter whether you are plugged into AC power or not?

-Jerry
richardkk

The restarting always happens after every 15 minutes but sometimes it can happen after 30 mins - ie, it can restart like 4 times in 1 hour.

It does not matter whether hibernation is on or not. I have even 'unchecked' the "Automatic shutdown" option but it still restarts.

It shutsdown whether am connected to a network or not and it even does not matter whether am plugged in or on battery.

- Richard

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It shutsdown..

I misunderstood you, Richard. I thought you meant it restarted after you turned it off.

I have even 'unchecked' the "Automatic shutdown" option

Did you mean "Automatic restart"? If not, uncheck that box and tell us about the blue screen you get.

-Jerry
richardkk

Sorry Jerry, i meant 'restart' not 'shutdown'. My computer restarts while am working.....it does not shut down by itself....it restarts.....and NOT when i shut it down after am done with my work, but while am working. It can restart several times within an hour.

Again, i meant 'Automatic restart' NOT 'Automatic shutdown'. Since i unchecked the "Automatically restart" option, it did not show any blue screen whatsoever......it just continued normally.

- Richard

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Since i unchecked the "Automatically restart" option, it did not show any blue screen whatsoever......it just continued normally.

Now I'm confused again. Please explain "continued normally."

Sudden restarts are sometimes caused by intermittently bad RAM. Arrange for a test to run overnight.

How do I know if my computer has a memory problem?

-Jerry
richardkk

[ Edited ]

When i said "continued normally", i was responding to your statement:- "Did you mean "Automatic restart"? If not, uncheck that box and tell us about the blue screen you get". Therefore, i said that when i unchecked the 'Automatic restart", i did not get any blue screen and the computer continued functioning as usual - until after a while when it restarted again - by itself.

Nevertheless, let me run the test first and then i will get back to you.

Thank you so much for your help.

-Richard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jerry, i just finished running memory diagnostic test and after completion, the following message came up:-

"No memory errors were detected"

So am not sure how to proceed from here, please advise.

-Richard

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Two thoughts..

1. Let's see if we can gather more information. Note the computer-clock time of a restart.

Open Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc), expand Windows Logs, and inspect the Application and System logs for the corresponding event (at that exact time).

Don't try to copy anything from there. Double-click the event and then click the Copy button. That will put the details on your clipboard.

Paste it without editing into your reply - except we want only what's above the line Event Xml:.

2. Let's make two experiments to see whether the restart occurs then or not. It helps to find a way to make the restart more likely - some situation or sequence of events.

a. Boot into Safe Mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

b. Boot normally into another user account. If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

-Jerry
rickrvo

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I think I'm having the same problem... I think it's not software related since I had windows 7 when it first sarted to restart by itself mostly when booting up windows and rarely while using it. I've changed the HDD thinking that it may be a HDD problem... but the restarts still persisted.

Yesterday I formatted and installed a clean Windows 8 setup and it still restarts randomly sometimes on boot and others after 30 mins up to 1 hour running time...

I've even updated BIOS to the latest version (2.20) and nothing...

It's not overheating problem because I've had that problem once a year ago and cleaned the fans and did it again 3 days ago.

The restarting started to happen about a month ago. No blue screen.. It just restarts like if pressed and hold the Power button and then pressed it again to power up.

please help! thanks in advance

rickrvo

[ Edited ]

I just found an interesting fact... it began to restart like crazy today... I always use it plugged in the eletricity. I took the battery out and still was restarting. Then I plugged it off and used only with the battery and it's working... but my battery life only lasts for like 40mins...

I plugged in the eletricity and few seconds later it started restarting the system again... any ideas how to fix this?

I don't know if it's the same as the problem I've read in other posts regarding restarting while plugged in the solution seamed to be to replace NEC/TOKIN Proadlizer... but I want to be sure.. does the restarting the system happen when the battery is full or not connected to the PC?  Because when the battery ran out, i plugged it in and so far the baterry recharged to 20% and the system hasn't restarted.. yet

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

installed a clean Windows 8 setup and it still restarts randomly

For sure that indicates a hardware malfunction.

Sorry I missed your earlier message.

-Jerry
Miodrag

Hi,

Got a similar issue with a Toshiba Satellite A300. 

A fresh copy of Windows 7 is installed and it keeps restarting by itself (without Blue Screen Of Death). It used to do the same with the old Windows 7 installation.

Instead, in Safe Mode it works fine. No restarts occur.

What could be the culprit ? 

Have you guys managed to fix your issues ?

Thanks !

smart1500

The same problem happens in my laptop A300-1G3. Unexcepted restarting occurs after opening laptop. It is not the harddisk error surely coz I changed new laptop harddisk. And also not the battery and adaptor.

If someone knows about that pls help me ...

belmot

I have the same issue with my A-300.

It keeps restarting .

I suspect it is an hardware issue.

Any thoughts from the Toshiba support?