hciman77

A105 cannot read recovery dvd disc or usb drive or hard driive - will not boot

My A105 will not boot from any drive .

Windows starts then goes into the safe/normal boot option screen , booting from hard drive causes a screen full of windows/system files to be displayed then it starts again

I have been into the Biios to set the DVD drive to be the primary boot drive , when I try to boot from this it attempts to read the dvd displays a flashing cursor clicks a few times and then starts up again at the Toshiba screen. I have copied the files from the recovery dvd to a USB flash drive and set that to be the primary boot drive in the bios, same result, it displays a flashing cursor then starts the cycle all over.

It may be coincidental but yesterday when I shut down I had two usb hard drives, I routinely shut the notebook down with one usb hard drive connected and have never had any issues with this, the notebook is conveniently out of warranty of course.

The recovery disc is ok as I can read it on another llaptop and the dvd/cd drive has been working fine - to date.

Any ideas ?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: A105 cannot read recovery dvd disc or usb drive or hard driive - will not boot

booting from hard drive causes a screen full of windows/system files to be displayed then it starts again

Assuming Windows XP with SP2, to learn more use F8 to reach the Advanced Options menu.

You should find an additional option there: Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Select that one and report the Stop error and any file name mentioned.

Which Satellite A105? There are somthing like a hundred of them.   

-Jerry
hciman77

Re: A105 cannot read recovery dvd disc or usb drive or hard driive - will not boot

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply - It is the S4324 - Windows XP media edition, F8 does not appear to interrupt the boot sequence - but oddly it will boot from a Windows 2000 Pro boot CD ????? but not the recovery DVD ????

Ah, F8 worked this time, error messagge

unmountable_boot_volume

STOP 0x000000ED

(0x8A56E030,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

but oddly it will boot from a Windows 2000 Pro boot CD ????? but not the recovery DVD ????

Message Edited by hciman77 on 01-01-2009 08:05 AM
Message Edited by hciman77 on 01-01-2009 08:06 AM