GRITSasap

A105-S4284 memory upgrade

To upgrade my laptop Satellite A105-S4284 memory, I recently purchased the following as recommended by TigerDirect:

• Kingston Hyper   KHX4200S2LL/2G; and,
  • PATA enhanced IDE DRIVE EIDE: WD 250GB 5400/8MB 2.5" Mobile PATA.

My questions:

1. Can I use this 2GB RAM in one slot while keeping the original 1GB in the other slot? Or add another 2GB or 1GB in the second slot?
  2. Is it possible to upgrade my harddrive at all, let alone to 250GB?

My Satellite was sold to me in 2007 as new at our local BestBuy, but I learned over the next few months it had been manufactured in 2005, used, infected with numerous viruses, set up for a left-handed user, and had a totally messed up MSWord. But I was a newbie and by the time I figured all this out it was out of warranty.

Any help is appreciated.

Chad08

Re: A105-S4284 memory upgrade

I own the same laptop, also purchased at Best Buy, only mine was bought in 2005. The motherboard can ony handle 3GB of RAM. I know because I replaced mine about 2 months ago. You can put as much as you'd like in, but 3 is all it will see. Also,are you positive that your hard drive is PATA? I replaced mine with a 500GB SATA. Nothing was wrong with either one, I just wanted to run Windows 7 (XP installed when purchased).

GRITSasap

Re: A105-S4284 memory upgrade

Thanks, Chad. I've run into other issues so I'm getting a desktop and will use laptop minimally. I appreciate your help.