Occasional Contributor
williambuell

Transient Bug Mozilla Firefox

My model number should now be in my signature.

Sometimes after I am on-line for several hours, Firefox acts WEIRD and every time I click something in, say, Facebook, instead of refreshing the current window, it OPENS A NEW TAB. My only remedy is to totally reboot my machine. This is no big deal, I can live with a reboot or two per day, BUT, it is so puzzling.

I do notice on the Qosmio that occasionally my hand seems to touch something and it launches some weird application, or it asks me to accept the terms of Toshiba Books, which I am not interest in. I never use a USB port mouse but always use the touchpad and mouse key.

Just curious if anyone has had this experience. I do not notice the problem in Chrome, but I am in Firefox most of the time. Firefox runs with NOSCRIPT. I have Microsoft Essentials for my antivirus. I uninstalled the trial version of Norton. By the way IF I would ever try anything else, I am tempted to try Panda Cloud AV, but as long as Microsoft Essentials does the job I will stay with that. I do occasionally scan with free malwarebytes.org. Thanks!

Toshiba Qosmio Q7170
Occasional Contributor
williambuell

Re: Transient Bug Mozilla Firefox

I just received THIS reply from my repost in Google Plus =

There may be gestures or hot zones recognized on the touchpad that by default trigger some junkware that shipped with the machine.

As to the new-tab thing, Ctrl-left-click and middle-click are both mapped to new tab by default, so you might drop into mouse settings when it happens and try to see if one of those is being sent instead of simple left-click . . . I'd also try actually doing a ctrl-click and middle-click and see if either of those reverses the effect. That said, if it's global it should affect Chrome once it starts happening (same mappings).

If it is indeed Firefox-only, you could see if the setting for that is being changed:
howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/quick-tip-open-firefox-searches-in-new-tab/
check it when the odd behavior starts (that setting makes normal clicks open new tabs)

Toshiba Qosmio Q7170