JerJer123
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Qosmio x770 Webcam very Dark and Other issues

Hello. So my brand new Qosmio x770 arrived earlier today. I was very excited, but when I tested out the webcam, it was very dark, and I mean dark. There was alot of light in my room - blinds open and everything - and it looked like the lights had been turned off - that's how dark the camera was. I definetly knew it wasn't a lighting issue because I compared my other laptop's camera (in the same room), which is lower quality than the qosmio's and it worked perfectly and its lighting was fine.

Is anyone else having this issue? Also, the screen seems kind of glared to me and it's hard to look at at times. I've never had tos issue with another laptop, and I have to tilt the screen back to have a decent view, without the screen looking super glared. There's like a grayish tinge or the screen loooked as if it was too bright. I tried to turn the brightness down - and the brightness of the screen itself went down - but the grayish/white tinge still remained. Again, it may be just me, but I compared my other laptop and it was far easier to look at.

As far as the camera issue is concerned, I tired redownloading and reinstalling toshiba's camera software to try to configure the webcam, but that didn't help. I could hardly see myself in the image it was so dark. So i don't know what the problem is.

As it relates to the screen, I know things are going to look different when viewing from different angles, but when I'm sitting like directly infront of it I have to til the screen back about 15 degrees to see things clearly.

Anyone who has had similar issues, or any comments, I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm not bashing this laptop at all, as I really love it overall.

It sucks to have to send this laptop back for an exchange due to these minor, yet annoying little issues.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Toshiba Qosmio x770 Webcam very Dark and Other issues

If you will look very closely at your camera, you will find a clear piece of plastic put over the camera lens during shipment to protect the lens during shipment  It pulls off very easily and then your camera will be much brighter and clearer.

I can't address your display concerns. Maybe someone else has some experience with that issue.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
JerJer123

[ Edited ]

I've already done that, cbwilsha - the moment I took it out the box, that was done.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Have you played around with all the Settings, particularly Brightness? The Settings folder is the first button below the one on the control box that starts the camera. And the next button is Effect that could be causing your problem according to how it is set.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

The more I think about it, Jer Jer, I'm not sure we're talking about the same piece of plastic.  There was also a clinging piece of plastic covering the display edge and display which included the camera. The piece I am talking about is only about an inch wide and a 1/4 inch high covering the camera lens and the indicator light.  Unless you specifically remember removing that little piece, look closely again.  It can easily be mistaken for something that belongs there.

And please don't feel insulted by my suggestion because others have had the same question. Also, the reason why I am so familiar with it is because I did the same thing  with my first laptop with a camera and even called Tech Support complaining about the quality of the camera.

C.B.

JerJer123

Nope. There's nothing else covering the camera. I took of all the plastic covers and what not and it's as dark as midnight.

Going off topic here -The screen also has too much gamma or something that makes it seem overly bright (even when I turn down the brightness) it seems. It sucks out the color out of everything because the screen is so gray toned. I've tried to adjust the settings via graphic properties with intels graphic and media control panel. The only way I seem to can get a decent view of the screen is if I tilt it about 15-30 degrees back.

Please, if you've had this issue (or if you haven't) with the screen and viewing the screen, please leave a comment. I'd really like to know if it is just me that is having this issue.

JerJer123

Returning notebook.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Good move.  Good luck with the next one!

C.B.

JerJer123

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all your advice C.B, but I'm sorry to say I won't be exchanging it, but just returning it for a full refund. I had a hard time putting my words together before. But the main problem with this laptop is that the screen was just too washed out. The camera was not working that great, which was bearable, but the screen was what did it for me. Being that this was a gaming laptop, I expected the screen and games to look amazing (the games ran well), but color wise, they were completely washed out, compared to my other laptop. Even sitting with the laptop facing perpendicular (90 degrees) the viewing was awful. I had to tilt the screen a pretty decent way back to have somewhat of a normal view. I tried fiddling with the color settings, brightness, contrast, etc, but I was getting the same results.

I've done some research online and I came across a lot of laptops with 1600x900 (mine was this resolution) resolutions with this "washed out" problem. It really is sad to return this laptop, because for everything else it's perfect, but I literally can't stand to look at the screen for more than a few minutes without having to adjust it (tilt it, turn it every 10 minutes). And I'm pretty sure the full HD versions of the qosmio would have better viewing ( I would assume), but they are out of my price range. I have seen another brand's gaming laptop (wont mention here, out of respect) that offers full HD, and some slightly better specs, for the same price (around $1250).

But to anyone considering buying a laptop with this resolution, I would suggest just going full HD. Some folks might not mind the washed out screen or a screen that looks foggy or smokey, but full HD is the way to go.

Occasional Contributor
cbhattarai

You can increase the brigthness by going into the video settings. If it is not working then your cam has been corropted..

JerJer123

I've tried that with the camera, never worked. It was probably corrupted, but I could have dealt with that if I didn't have issues with the computer screen. I couldn't deal with the washed out colors, and I figured that it was just the screen itself and the type of screen, and making an exchange wouldn't make any difference