delta_kilo

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893 can the graphics card be upgraded?

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893 with a M460 graphics card.  Is it possible to upgrade the graphics card to a M580?  If so where do you purchase one of these cards that will fit inside my laptop?

delta_kilo

Re: Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893 can the graphics card be upgraded?

I will say I understand Toshiba doesn't sell graphics cards as upgrades.  My laptop is out of warranty so at this point it doesn't matter.  They must sell or some one must sell graphics card replacements if a graphics card were to go bad.  So my question is will a M580 card fit my laptop and if so where can I buy one?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893 can the graphics card be upgraded?

The graphics cards are a proprietary design.

Only cards specifically made for those laptops will fit in them.  This is not some conspiracy thing either.  Laptops have very limited internal space, so most internal parts have to be designed to fit into the limited space alotted to them.

That being said, I believe that the 460M cards were the fastest offered with the X505's, so upgrading beyond that is not possible.

Many parts vendors carry replacement graphics cards in stock.  The cards are typically drop shipped from Toshiba after the cards are ordered by the customer.  Once a system goes out of production, then no more parts are produced for it.  That means that over time, new replacement parts will become harder and harder to find.

Also Ebay can be a good source for second hand parts.  I've used Ebay quite a few times, and have yet to have received a bad part.  In fact, I just ordered a replacement 9800M GTX card for my X305 laptop from there.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement