Occasional Contributor
1point5volt

Things I don't like about my Qosmio X870

Don't get me wrong, it's a great laptop, but...

The touchpad disabled light is BRIGHT

The vent is on the right side, which is also where I have my mouse while gaming at a desk. So my hand gets warm lol

You can push the keyboard down. makes it feel cheap

That's actually all I can think of :smileytongue: will put more as I think of them

Occasional Contributor
richnrockville

Re: Things I don't like about my Qosmio X870

I have the same complaints.  The light is bright and I can't figure out how to turn it off.

Othewise, it is a screaming machine.

Once I figured out how to get to the memory and hard disks.

I want to replace the 2nd hard disk with another SSD.

Rich

Learn_>Teach or it is all wasted.
Occasional Contributor
1point5volt

Hey I just figured out the memory and HDD thing for you. Uplig it and take ou tthe battery.

Remove this thingy and theres a screw under it:

and gently remove the cover! and you see this:

You have access to both hard drives and 2 RAM slots. If you figure out where the other 2 RAM slots are, please let me know :smileytongue:

Occasional Contributor
richnrockville

Thanks, I got there after a bit of trouble prying the back off after taking out the 1 phillips screw.

I was concerned because it took a lot of force to pry it up.

I was able to replace the 2nd hard disk with a 256gig SSD (Intel) which really made it scream.

Rich

Learn_>Teach or it is all wasted.
Occasional Contributor
1point5volt

Did it really take that force? I recall it being easy. Anyway, do you have any idea where the other RAM slots are?

CPTCa5hTSV69

Re: the RAM Slots:  They could be under the Keyboad, like they were for my Asus G2S and with out a manual I can not confirm that yet.  Hope to get my NEW (Win8 Qosmio X870-016003) before the 20th November 2012.

But if there is no other place that looks like RAM would fit, then try under the keyboard, and the keyboards are usually an easy thing to remove.

**Check the MANUAL** or ask Toshiba!

Regards,

CPTCa5hTSV69  :smileyhappy:  I hope I could help!

Moolasaki

[ Edited ]

2 memory slots are at bottom with HDDs and other two memory slots are under the keyboard

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Qosmio-Laptops/Qosmio-X870-memory-upgrades/td-p/348022

tjo posted pic

I just finished upgrading my memory to 32GB.. bit pain to upgrade memory...

Moolasaki

is it just me or Qosmio X870 doesn't came with windows 8 product key?

CPTCa5hTSV69

Re: the other 2 HIDDEN RAM slots,  the first 2 slot are easy too locate, but the other 2 are under the keyboard. You got to remove 3 screws then pull out the keyboard.  (The MANUAL and associated literature has these as a return to Toshiba to replace the two 4GB 1600 RAM modules)  I am unsure if the warranty would be voided if a END User did the upgrade themselves!  One might have to talk to Toshiba about this issue when the 24GB RAM becomes too little for you.

I hope this helps thoese that need to know!  It is an upgrade that I for one will be doing before I buy GTA V for it!  :smileyhappy:

CPT_Ca$h_TSV :smileyhappy:

CPTCa5hTSV69

Is not the Win8 KEY on the base of the X870, sorry, I'm still waiting for mine so I can't tell you yet!  :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
98snakeeater

Well, I can't stand the big bucket of fail called Windows8

I feel like I have to relearn everything all over again.

I didn't even know how to turn it off!!

Actually had to Google "How to turn off Windows 8".

I had no idea how to get to "MyComputer" to access files and external drives, so I had to Google that too.

Ended up installing an app called "pokki" that somewhat makes W8 look like W7 (still iffy, but much more tolerable)

There's no button for the 3D emitter.

nvidia's little booklet states that if I have a desktop, that I can hit "CTRL + T" to enable it, but everytime I try that, all it does is open up a new tab in Chrome.

For some strange reason, I never have to touch the main power button.

Whenever I open up the lid, it automagically powers up.

Not from Sleep or Hibernation, but from a full shutdown.

I don't like the feel or the position of the touchpad.

The one on my old Satellite was centered and felt much better.

Flat keys will definitely take some getting used to, but I love the backlit board.

What really irks me is that in the 6 weeks it took to deliver my X875, the folks on the Toshiba Direct chat line were extremely helpful and would go out of their way to answer each and every question I had (and I had plenty)

Once they knew I already had it in my hands, they now refer me directly to the customer service line (which is ALWAYS BUSY!!), even for the simplest question!!

That being said, I still love it :smileyhappy:

Very impressed with the speed, power and excellent picture and sound

Power1

Shipping times have improved. I just ordered mine 1/31 and it shipped today (2/7). Expected delivery 2/14.

Sounds like they are continuing making great laptops. I have a X505-862 I bought 2 years ago and it's still a great laptop, though heavy as sin (9.5#'s) and I loathe the softkeys on the left side (one of them opens Media Player anytime you brush it and that happens a LOT when gaming). Hopefully the quirks of the new one are less painful.

One thing I really wish they would change is the power connector. I wish they had a more solid connection. My old one I took a paperclip and bound the plug to the security port to keep it from falling out.

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

There is a program from Stardock called Start8 that hides the media screen and gives back the start menu.  I bought an X875 and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it, but used Start8 on my X305 for a few months.

Microsoft seriously dropped the ball on this version of Windows with their forced use of the media screen, and I refuse to support them by using Windows 8, and giving the false impression that I approve of it.

If enough people refuse to use it, maybe the next release will see the return of the start menu, and the media screen being made optional as it should have been in the first place.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
ntt1409

there is only one thing i don't like about this laptop is the keyboard build quality. My keyboard is sticking up about 1mm at the bottom right conner. I push it down but it bounces back up. sadly i dont know how to deal with it.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

There are locking tabs that should hold the keyboard in place.  You should be able to massage it into place.  When I replaced the RAM in the top slots on mine, I had to work the keyboard to get it all popped into place, but once it was, it lined back up nicely.

As for my system, I did not like the fact that it was slow out of the box.  Norton Antivirus was causing the system to lock up during the setup process of windows, and I had to hard boot multiple times.  It also locked up during the uninstall process with Norton, requiring a hard boot.  Once uninstalled, and Windows Defender enabled, the lockup issues went away.  Once I cleaned off all of the junk, and optimized the computer, it started running better.  Installing an SSD drive finally gave me the performance I was looking for.

I like my X875 now, but it would have been nice to be able to just boot up, go through the setup, and start using it without any issues.