klshome

Qosmio x505 q890 -- Can I replace the original SSD with a larger, faster SSD?

I may be interested in replacing the original SSD on my Qosmio x505 q890 with a larger, faster SSD (say 256GB and SATA 3). I have three related questions:

1. Which, if any, 256GB SSDs are compatible with the X505 Q890? 

2. Can the q890 take advantage of the faster SATA 3 transfer speeds?

3. What is the most efficient means for cloning the existing SSD (Win 7 Pro OS) to the new SSD before replacing it?

Many thanks for your help!

Kim

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: Qosmio x505 q890 -- Can I replace the original SSD with a larger, faster SSD?

Yes, you can upgrade the hard drive to a larger SSD drive.

I use Nortons Ghost to copy the system and all files on the drive to a new drive.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
JimfromIndy

Re: Qosmio x505 q890 -- Can I replace the original SSD with a larger, faster SSD?

I have the same issue as Kim. Anybody know the answer to her other questions?

What brand?

What technologies are compatible?

Does a bigger/faster SSD overheat?

Regular Advisor
alexuw

[ Edited ]

klshome wrote:

I may be interested in replacing the original SSD on my Qosmio x505 q890 with a larger, faster SSD (say 256GB and SATA 3). I have three related questions:

1. Which, if any, 256GB SSDs are compatible with the X505 Q890? 

2. Can the q890 take advantage of the faster SATA 3 transfer speeds?

3. What is the most efficient means for cloning the existing SSD (Win 7 Pro OS) to the new SSD before replacing it?

Many thanks for your help!

Kim

1.  Any SSD that is SATA II or below will work.  SATA III may also work if it is backwards compatible (probably is).  But your laptop will not get SATA III speeds.

2. No.  The q890 is baed on the HM55 chipset (comes with i7-720qm or i7-740qm CPU).  The HM55 chipset is technologically limited to SATA II.  

The HM65 is the next generation Intel chipset that comes with Sandy Bridge CPUs (i7-2630QM); HM65 was released January of 2011.  Sandy Bridge (HM65) can do SATA III speeds.  For example, the x505 q8100X series (and x775 series) were the first lines of Qosmios to include the HM65 chipset.

3. No idea.  I have heard some SSD drives come with cloning software to help you.  Could also try using your System Restore Discs to reinstall your OS on the SSD.

Good luck and keep us updated with your results.

========================================================
QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
i7-2630QM , GTX 460m , 18.4" screen @ 1680x945p