Occasional Builder
LordSoth

Qosmio w NVIDIA 460M can run Dragon Age 2 at Max Settings!

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

As a Qosmio laptop owner with an NVIDIA GTX 460M GPU, I can confirm that you can now run Dragon Age 2 with all graphics settings to the MAX!

As at 31st March 2011, I managed to get smooth average FPS of at least 30 with AA set to 8X and AF set to 16x.

All DX11 graphic settings were ticked and maxed out. VSync, which is useless unless you are using an SLI GPU, was turned off.

The game is smooth and stutter free. And more importantly, it is very stable and does not crash.

Yes, to do that, you need the following:-

1. NVIDIA Drivers

Just go to the NVIDIA website and download the latest Beta drivers v270.51

This can be installed onto Qosmio laptops without any hacking whatsoever.

2. MSI Afterburner

You can google and download this.

The 460m GPU can be overclocked safely to 780Mhz Core clock and 1350Mhz Memoory Clock.

Now, proceed to enjoy your Dragon Age 2 game.

The visuals are really stunning with everything cranked up to the max!

I'm glad to have purchased a Toshiba Qosmio X505 laptop.

Very few laptops can run Crysis 1, Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 with maximum graphics and cost less than US$2k (or US$1.5 k for those with slightly less features).

All hail the mighty Toshiba Qosmio laptop!!! :smileyhappy:

Now I'll be getting back to my Dragon Age 2 game.

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q898 8GB Ram Win 7 x64 Ultimate (w USB 3.0)
Occasional Contributor
yossarian

Re: Qosmio w NVIDIA 460M can run Dragon Age 2 at Max Settings!

congratulations to you :smileyhappy:

i heard that its not really a good thing to install graphics drivers directly from nvidia site even when its completely compatible for your gpu. is there any truth on this? is it better to get the drivers provided by toshiba?

would you be able to report your temperature? its a good thing its working for you but overheating in the long run would have its consequences, so its always better to make sure the temps are okay.

Regular Advisor
alexuw

Just so everyone knows, I had a Qosmio q8102X, and it came stock with 265.77 drivers.  So maybe we'll be seeing an update to the Qosmio drivers soon.  [returned and repurchased, had irregular fan noises, I think fan was dying.  Everything else worked great!  Should receive next week]

========================================================
QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
i7-2630QM , GTX 460m , 18.4" screen @ 1680x945p
Occasional Contributor
bobwalt

I am also running those games at Max on my X505-Q893.  I am using the latest WHQL driver 267.76 downloaded from NVIDIA's website.  I am NOT overclocking my card and I get a smooth and fast frame rate.  Overclocking on a laptop is not a good idea.  As to using reference drivers instead of Toshiba release drivers, for most things there should be no problem.  However, using some of the Toshiba specific functions might be a problem.  I find most of those pretty much useless so I don't care.

Bob

Occasional Builder
LordSoth

Hi Yossarian,

With my current overclocked settings, the maximum GPU temperature was 81'C.

I played DA2 for 3 to 4 hrs non-stop.

The NVIDIA beta drivers are safe to install because they are not the "hacked" variety.

If you use "hacked" drivers, you run the risk of not having your laptop fans turn on during heavy gaming use. That is the dangerous part.

Anyway, my laptop's fans turn on to the max by themselves whenever I run a 3D game such as DA2 or Crysis2. They also turn off by themselves when I stop playing any games.

So that's how we can deduce that the beta drivers are safe to use.

As for the OC part, this is also safe because I did not OC the GPU to the max.

I did some Google research on this topic before trying it out.

The gist of my findings from the GTX 460M OC community is that it is very safe to OC to 800/1400.

Some people even pushed their cards to 825/1420+ setting and their temp was 90+'C.

(If you are a Qosmio owner, I strongly suggest that you do not go beyond the 800 mark if you really want to play safe)

Anyway, my OC is based on field experience. I once OCed my card to 810/1450 to test the upper limit.

DA2 crashed after running for about 1/2 an hour. So that was how I discovered the limit for OC.

I then retested the OC and started with 750/1350. DA2 was running very stable then and did not crash at all.

I then performed a series of slight incremental OC from the 750/1350 base. That's how I ended up with the 780/1350 OC setting.

As for how smooth the graphics are, with all the settings maxed out, I can hold the right mouse button and rotate the view in DA2 such that the surroundings can spin around me without any stuttering.

SMOKESKULL

Dont overclock the GPU. The performance gain is simply not worth the potential harm it can do to the system. I used to think the same thing about overclocking the GPU untill I fried the GPU on my Dell laptop. THat cost me $250.00 to get it working again. If you love your laptop and plan on keeping it or selling it to family or friends latter on, take care and dont overclock.

Regular Advisor
alexuw

Has anyone tried Crysis 2 on the Qosmios?  

I'm thinking of buying this game..

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
Regular Contributor
lee7n

[ Edited ]

Runs on extreme but you may want to turn the graphics down 1 notch but so far extreme seems adequate on my X500-Q900S.  I haven't had time to get very far but it looks great I would recommend getting it.

Occasional Builder
LordSoth

[ Edited ]

I can also confirm that Crysis 2 (and 1) both run very smoothly at the maximum graphics settings on my Qosmio.

DA2 runs with DX11 and is a more GPU demanding game than Crysis 2 (and 1).

So you can definitely run both Crysis games with the maximum settings.

Crysis 2 is worth purchasins as it is set in an urban "jungle" and has a different feel to the whole game. The cinematics are also very good. There are times when I feel like I am watching a Japanese Anime movie.

Occasional Contributor
bobwalt

I must warn against purchasing Crysis 2 at this time.  There is are a number of truly horrendous bugs in the PC version that cause problems for many people in both single and multiplayer.  I would wait until they have a firm fix for those issues.

Bob

Regular Contributor
lee7n

The console versions are a lot worse from what I understand plus a patch just came out the other day

Occasional Contributor
bobwalt

I found that the patch did not fix my nano catalyst issue. On my game the issue was really screwy.  Fortunately, I was able to accumulate enough to get the most useful upgrades before they quit completely.  I will play it agan after the issue is truly fixed.

Bob

tomasowa

it already runs perfect maxed out on nvidia 360m thats in my qosmio x505-q880 factory vanilla,so not quite sure whats with this post ...

Occasional Contributor
bobwalt

[ Edited ]

As long as the nano catalysts updates you're OK.   I have not had any graphics problems and the game runs great the problems I have had are all game bugs.  It appears to be something in the profile or game save because when I start a new profile it it seems to work but my original profile the nano catalyst is still fixed at zero.

Bob

sbha200

Looking to get the Qosmio X505-Q8104 so I'm super stoked at the capabilities of running everything - hoping to run BF3 on it

hsb250

Impressive what it can do ! Nice!

Regular Advisor
alexuw

sbha200 wrote:

Looking to get the Qosmio X505-Q8104 so I'm super stoked at the capabilities of running everything - hoping to run BF3 on it

There was an owner of a x775 Qosmio on another forum who had access to the alpha version of BF3.  He said he was able to play BF3 on very very high settings on 1080p (he had the x775 3D version).

Considering the x775s have a GTX 560m which is a slightly higher clocked GTX 460m, we can assume BF3 should run very good on x505 Qosmios.

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
Stereoscopic

I bought a Qosmio F750 yesterday. The 280.26 nVidia WHQL driver works great once properly modified!

Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing the nVidia stereoscopic 3D tab. VERY disappointing when I bought the computer specifically because of the glasses-free 3D screen!

daveharris118

Semi-hard to believe this as I had heard that DA2 pushed at GTX 580 pretty hard...

R_in_NC

Crysis Warhead works fine!  ... but its an old version ... not sure what your comp is ... but this (i7 4 core) yet to show a problem in ANY game .... tis is my second qosmio ... smashed the keyboard on the first one -- didn't know the modem and router were so out of date   O.o  now that they is fixed and the new laptop is on a really good chiller pad ... everything rocks ... and IT STAYS RUNNING OVER 15 HOURS A DAY all month long ....