Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Problem installing windows 7 on a Qosmio X875.

[ Edited ]

I just got a new Toshiba Qosmio laptop X875 with the virus known as Windows 8 installed on it.  I want to install Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

I have already set the boot order to dvd drive first, but it refuses to see the dvd in the drive.  The disc is known to be good, so it is not the disc.

I also want to use my Intel SSD drive in it too.

Has anyone installed Windows 7 on their X875?

Is there some trick that I am missing?

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Problem installing windows 7 on a Qosmio X875.

[ Edited ]

You have to make two changes in the UEFI (AKA BIOS) first, lorddethstalker. One is to disable Secure Boot and the other is changing something I unfortunately can't remember.  I think it is changing AHCI to CSM boot (whatever that means) and I believe these options are under the Advanced tab.  I have a W8 machine now but it is upgraded rather than pre-installed like yours so I still have the BIOS. Jerry and/or Peter will be along soon and they know exactly what must be done.  In any event, I believe that is your problem; what I describe is required on a W8 machine pre-installed to go back to W7.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Here are the procedures.

Before you begin, make sure there are adequate Windows 7 drivers and utilities for your model.

Windows 8 Pro comes with downgrade rights (to Windows 7 Professional). Otherwise, you will need to pay for activation.

In order to boot using UEFI from the Windows 7 installation media, follow this procedure.

-Shut down Windows 8 while pressing the Shift key to completely power off.

-Power on and press F2 while the Toshiba logo is displayed to enter the UEFI Setup Menu.

-Go to the Security tab and set the "Secure Boot" setting to "Disabled".

-Go to the Advanced tab, enter "System Configuration" and set the Boot Mode to "CSM Boot."

-Press F10 to save and exit.

In order to successfully install Windows 7, you need to remove the existing GPT partitions during Setup and create new (MBR) partitions.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

I stumbled upon that shortly after I made the post.

I used the program Driver Genius to find and install all of the drivers that were needed.

Thanks for the comment with the instructions Jerry, perhaps some other poor unfortunate soul will stumble upon them and be able to get Windows installed.

One thing I do want to point out to the person who may read this in the future.  Get the Lan or Wifi drivers before you wipe Windows 8 off the drive.  Windows 7 does not have the drivers for them.  I think I got the lan driver from the X875-Q7280 which came with Windows 7 installed.

Other than the pain in the butt getting 7 installed, I love this laptop.  It has even more upgrade potential than my X305 had, and for only about $300 bucks I can get everything needed to give it the exact same hardware specs as the top of the line system that cost $1,000 more. :smileytongue:

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
jakesteam

Hello,  I recently bought the Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390 3D and have been fighting with the Windows 8 for the past two months.  I love the computer but it has been very frustrating.  I am fair with computers but would love some very specific help to put this back to windows 7 if it will still function correctly?   I know you mentioned something about saving the drivers,  but I am not sure just which ones I need or exactly how to do it.   I dont want to loose the Bluetooth or 3D functions and any help your or anyone that can explain it very simple so I have some success will be greatly appreciated. 

Also someone mentioned that Microsoft allows you to move backwards,  but I did not understand that or how to do it.

Again,  thanks for any help

Michael

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X875-Q7390 (PSPLZU-003002)

I know you mentioned something about saving the drivers..

Michael, your US drivers are here. But there are insufficient Windows 7 drivers there.

Fortunately, the European site for models in your part-number family (PSPLZx) have plenty of 64-bit Windows 7 drivers and utilities. They are here.

Also someone mentioned that Microsoft allows you to move backwards,  but I did not understand that or how to do it.

Only Windows 8 Pro comes with downgrade rights (to Windows 7 Professional). So those without the Pro version would need to upgrade to it or pay for a Windows 7 product key.

-Jerry