Occasional Advisor
kshrine

How to turn off the system control panel

I’m satisfied thus far with Q505 model, except for one annoying feature.  The system control panel is setup on the left side of the keyboard.  I constantly turn on the computer accidently by touching the area.  Whenever I put the keyboard dust cover after just got turning off the computer drive me nuts.   What kind of design engineer thought this out, why not above the keyboard like everyone else.   Or at least create buttons with positive pressure to engage this media contraption; not brushing your pinky pressure to activate this control panel. (I have yet to use this setup.)  Does anyone know how to turn off this media control buttons?

Does anyone have any other beef with well-meaning design flaws of new Qosmio model?  I have also have a recent Sony laptop, which has an ear phone jack in the front, which has annoyingly way of interferes with many manual functions.

TS

Occasional Contributor
grampa

Re: How to turn off the system control panel

Go to your CMOS settings, (press F2 at start up) and the advanced page turn off the function keys.

Occasional Contributor
howarde

I found a way to turn off the ECO amd Media Player button.

1. Open Notepad
  2. Type 0
  3. Copy and paste the 0 value into target path.
  4. Register.
  5. Close

Enjoy

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

howarde wrote:

I found a way to turn off the ECO amd Media Player button.

1. Open Notepad
  2. Type 0
  3. Copy and paste the 0 value into target path.
  4. Register.
  5. Close

Enjoy

Thanks for the response.   I’m assuming you’re talking about the registry key.  When I run regedit, I still cannot find the source; if you can clarify your statement little more, I would appreciate it.

TS

Occasional Contributor
bobwalt

[ Edited ]

It is so much easier to:

1. Open the HWsetup utility
  2. Click on the Buttons Tab
  3. Then select the "disable" radio button and click OK.

The utility is found in the Toshiba utility group.

Bob 

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

Bob thanks for the tip; it worked. When I checked into the Toshiba Utility for BUTTON SETTING, the wording is definitely confusing. “The tab lets you set conditions for Power Buttons and/or the other buttons” It should’ve specified what the function buttons meant.  Elsewhere in the manual the buttons were referred to as system control panel.

But I would still like to know where the registry key is located as stated above.

TS

Occasional Contributor
howarde

No. Not the registry.

1. Open Toshiba Assist.
  2. Open Toshiba Button Support.
  3. Select Button Name
  4. Set target path to 0
  5. Register

You can set the other buttons the same.

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

howarde wrote:

No. Not the registry.

1. Open Toshiba Assist.
  2. Open Toshiba Button Support.
  3. Select Button Name
  4. Set target path to 0
  5. Register

You can set the other buttons the same.

Thanks for the info to disable some annoying button features.   BTW, what is disabling QUICK START as an option?  Registering as null doesn’t seem to do anything on my computer!

TS