aprgrad2004

How can I get what I have playing on my laptop to show up on my TV screen?

[ Edited ]

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G35 AV-600 laptop.
I followed all the directions on connecting my TV to my laptop (it has Media Center on it). What I am trying to figure out is how to project what is on my computer screen on to my TV screen.

For example:
Most TV shows have their past episodes online now. How can I take that episode from my laptop and get it to show up on my TV?

I have all the cables hooked up according to the documentation. I just don’t know what buttons to press to tell the computer this is what I want to accomplish.

Here are some additional details if this info helps:
I have an older TV-DVD-VCR Combo.
To be very specific about it I actually found it on Amazon. Its a Panasonic Omnivision PV-DM2799:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PV-DM2799-27-TV-DVD-VCR-Combo/dp/B00002EQE0

That TV is connected to a Comcast DVR (Motorola brand).

I have this question on Yahoo Answers as well and they have suggested I need a S Video Cable.

Do I connect this cable from my laptop to my TV or from my laptop to my DVR?  Because I don't see a connection for it on my TV, but I do on the DVR.

Message Edited by aprgrad2004 on 12-07-2008 03:43 PM
Message Edited by aprgrad2004 on 12-07-2008 03:45 PM
Regular Advisor
iSkO

Re: How can I get what I have playing on my laptop to show up on my TV screen?

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

If all cables are hooked up already, Have you tried pressing FN + F5 ? If that wont work then you can try lowering down the settings of your display on the laptop.

Follow these steps

Click start > Under the start search type there Display > Look at the top look for the one that says DISPLAY SETTINGS  click it > Lower down the resolution by dragging the little arrow to the right and the click apply and ok and tried pressing FN + F5 again to transfer images from the laptop to your TV

Cheerz !

Message Edited by iSkO on 12-06-2008 07:36 PM
TL2

just adding something from isko steps , under display settings click on display number 2 and make sure that "extend the desktop onto this monitor" is unchecked..
aprgrad2004

Hi Isko,

Pressing FN + F5 didn't do anything.

As far as display settings go, your instructions were confusing to me.

I dont know what you mean when you say "Search Type"

Do you mean click on the word SEARCH and type in Display Settinngs?

Regular Advisor
iSkO

hi there,

Sorry for the confusion since i was replying to your message using a PDA phone.

What i mean is when you click start you will see there a little space that says START SEARCH. type there the word DISPLAY look on the search result at the top to access DISPLAY SETTINGS. then follow the rest of the steps.

Cheers !

since you have qosmio laptop.. you dont need to use the Fn+F5 you need to look for the presentation button right above the keyboard.
Regular Advisor
iSkO

Toshidell is correct. I forgot that Qosmio Systems has this special functions :smileywink:

See the section Connecting external display devices on p. 67 of the Qosmio G35 Series User's Guide

-Jerry
aprgrad2004

Thanks so much for your help, but so far I am just really frustrated.

I went out and bought an S Video cable, it is attached to my computer to my comcast DVR.

My TV does not have S Video cable outlet as it is to old.  Will it work this way?

Anyway, if you say yes to the above .. my issue is I am having trouble with the display properties.

I have the Qosmio G35 Series User's Guide and have been reading over page 67 to about 74.

But if you look at page 71 .... it is nowhere near specific enough for me.

I have no idea what to do. 

Also, when I did the Media Center Wizard it asked me a question regarding if I wanted my fonts enlarged, well, I chose yes thinking it would only be during Media Center Sessions.  Now EVERYTHING is HUGE, IE, Icons, everything.  I tried to change the resolution and I cant fix it there.  Any thoughts?  Cause its bugging the heck out of me!