JJhon

CPU and GPU for Qosmio x305-q701 and RAM

1.   which processor? I can me update,.. for my qosmio x305-q701....

2.   which video card? I can me update,.. for my qosmio x305-q701....

..........I should consider? for both

3. memory up to 8gb??....:smileyhappy:

...................................................................sorry for the translation, I am Spanish  :smileytongue:

Regular Advisor
Squall_Rinoa89

Re: CPU and GPU for Qosmio x305-q701 and RAM

[ Edited ]

JJhon wrote:

...................................................................sorry for the translation, I am Spanish  :smileytongue:

1) CPU you can go to a 2.66 p8800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111014

2) Unless you wanna spent like a grand for a motherboard that comes with a 9800 GTX or so, you wont be upgrading the GPU. They don't make them separate even thou the 3.0 MXM Type B

3) Increasing the ram past 4GB really wont do anything to increase performance.

You could theoretically upgrade to a m280GTX however, sense no-one sells them and u can't buy them without a insane price tag. Not likely ot upgrade to it.

ex Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 Owner
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV10 Owner
PSN: Squall_Rinoa89
I DON'T SUGAR COAT STUPIDITY
JJhon

Thanks for your reply ...
But I was referring to the maximum UPGRADE... OF THIS CPU AND GPU.....

THIS IS FOR THE FUTURE ... NOT FOR THE PRESENT ...

AND WHAT SHOULD I TAKE INTO ACCOUNT FOR THE TWO?

Regular Advisor
Squall_Rinoa89

JJhon wrote:

Thanks for your reply ...
But I was referring to the maximum UPGRADE... OF THIS CPU AND GPU.....

THIS IS FOR THE FUTURE ... NOT FOR THE PRESENT ...

AND WHAT SHOULD I TAKE INTO ACCOUNT FOR THE TWO?

Well you could go to the Quad Core but from what i understand that you can't really close it togeather cause the quad core sticks out so the best idea would be to use the highest Dual-Core availible. As i said about the GPU you really can't do to much sense they don't sell individual MXM 3.0 Type B cards

ex Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q701 Owner
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV10 Owner
PSN: Squall_Rinoa89
I DON'T SUGAR COAT STUPIDITY
salsutton

hey, you can upgrade your rig. i have upgraded mine. i have the toshiba qosmio x-q. I have upgraded the video card and the cpu.

from 9700m gts to the 9800m gtx. way better.

from p7350 2.0ghz to x9100 3.03ghz.( i got it so i could overclock it, but i still can't find a way. but it still kicks butt)

i never got them form the original manufacturers, i looked all over the web and found great deals.

the x9100 original price is around $800.00, and the 9800m gtx is around $1000.00.

looked on ebay and got the x9100 for half and looked on google shopping and got it around less than half.

my x305-q701 is just like the x305-q725. saved about $800.00 and just as good. hope you can find a better deal than me. 

as for the ram, it will make a BIG difference. this machine can hold up to 8gb. i haven't up graded the ram, so good luck. hope it helped

Occasional Contributor
zeno2

Squall_Rinoa89 wrote:

JJhon wrote:

1) CPU you can go to a 2.66 p8800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111014

2) Unless you wanna spent like a grand for a motherboard that comes with a 9800 GTX or so, you wont be upgrading the GPU. They don't make them separate even thou the 3.0 MXM Type B

3) Increasing the ram past 4GB really wont do anything to increase performance.

You could theoretically upgrade to a m280GTX however, sense no-one sells them and u can't buy them without a insane price tag. Not likely ot upgrade to it.

hi, i went from 4gb to 8gb and immediately noticed a differrence.  it wasn't really speed but in a way it was because now multiple windows open much faster than before and more windows open as well without causing problems.  i think i had 12 windows going at one time and no problems but with 4gb i couldn't do it without something freezing up so it does definitely help.

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

I know this is an old topic, but I am posting this for future reference if any decide to read it.

Ebay has had the 9800M GTX cards for about 350.00. I bought one to upgrade my X305-720. It will have to be a 9800M GTS or GTX that was made for the X300 or X305 series of laptop.  The systems that had the 9800M GTS and GTX''s all had two cooling fans.  You will have to purchase and install the second fan (K000061940) to get proper cooling. (the 701's only has one of the fans installed (K000067450) and it cools both the CPU and GPU, but you will need both fans for the faster cards)   

More memory can increase graphics performance because when you increase the amount of system ram, it also increases the amount of system ram that is shared with the graphics card. Currently I have 8gb's of system ram and about 4 gigs of that has been allocated to the graphics in Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, and it did make a difference.

I bought a 2.4 ghz extreme quad core CPU off of ebay for a bit over 200.00. Do not exceed the wattage of your factory installed CPU when upgrading by more than 3-5 watts or you will run the risk of overheating the system. You should be able to upgrade to the same CPU I have, or even the 2.53 quad core.  The 701's and the Quad core 720's have different heatsinks X305-720 (K000063170) and the 701's had this one, (K000063160)  You will need to purchase the heatsink part number K000063170 to run Quad core CPU's.

The heatsinks look alike, but the one for the 720 is rated for a higher wattage.

A very good way to get a faster system is to invest in an SSD drive, they will speed up the whole computer. Get at least a 120 gb SSD drive, and read the reviews on them before you buy, some brands of SSD are not that good. I've suped up quite a few laptops, so I do know what can be done.  The heatsinks look alike, but the one for the 720 is rated for a higher wattage.

This link shows a complete disassembly of an X305 with the dual fans.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Qosmio-X305/laptop-disassembly-1.htm

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
JJhon

thank you very much for your reply, I will help much to update ...

Now I could help with the buy pages where each piece to get update

I'm from Peru so I need to buy pages to order ...