James1

Re: Another overheating Qosmio X505 - 880 problem - need help

I received my repaired 880 from Toshiba today and according to the report included with the laptop the motherboard had to be replaced. I made it a point to run the battery complety dead before sending it in so it would have to charge when it was hooked up. I wanted to make sure the power supply was under a maximum load when they checked it out.

The report says -  Symptoms (System Had no Power).

Notes        (Replaced systemboard. Set dmi/bios to 2.6 passed all test)

This unit has never run hot but I also make sure it sits up on a small frame with about 2 inches of clearence between the desk and the laptop.

Repairs to date: 7/4/2010    Replaced the USB/Audio Board

8/17/2010  Replaced Systemboard

Hopefully this will be the last repair it needs.

Occasional Contributor
Kova

Guys... here is my summary:

1st I had no problems at all, I could play all, I was happy to have this machine. 

2nd I started to play little bit more, I found some guys that play online games and I started to play games (problems started)

3rd I started to read about GTS 360M and found out it is lower end graphic card such as 260 something (just overclocked), that pissed me off

4th I found out that if you go to dual display with your Qosmio, it will run 100% GPU clocks and it will heat up.

5th after that heating up, when I play games I have LOTS of problems (Display driver has stopped working and recovered, BSOD, and SHUT DOWN)

6th I did try to run some benches and it did pass all, I do have cooling pad (home made, exactly by holes on bottom of this notebook, two 140 mm vents on max 1200 RPM can't cool it down at all) !!!

7th I know it is mainly nvidia fault for overheating and crushing but I need few answers from you guys before I go to repair or warranty ...

Can somebody please tell me their temperature in °C, idle and max load ! Please do next, download GPU-Z, go to sensors and read idle temperature, then go to dual display and leave it for 5-10 minutes and read temp then. It should be max. 

I downloaded free benchmark program Ozone3D - FurMark, and I did test, extreme test last for 5 mins, 107°C and my Qosmio shuts down !!! 

Guys 100°C in desktop while in dual display mode, and 107°C probably in some games where it shuts down and on this benchmark, and remember I do have cooling pad with 2 140 mm vents it is summer, but it is around 24-25°C in room, even over night it is colder it is 3 am, window opened (around 20°C in room) still overheats ..

What I noticed it takes around 10-30 seconds to hop from 55°C idle to 90-100°C load ...

Please can somebody who thinks that doesn't have this problem let me know those answers:

1. Idle temperature 

2. Load temperature of GPU

3. Drivers that you use for graphic card GTS 360M, if you don't have display driver stopped working problem !! And Dual display 100% problem 

Thanks in advance.

Check temperatures:

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/score.php?id=09b7a26fcea2265e44a6f3ec901a9c5c

wxperson

Can you run the windows experience index two times in a row.. without any problems?

Occasional Contributor
Kova

[ Edited ]

Yes I can, even in dual display mode. ..

Temp is 100°C and it sticks to 100 .. I do have cooling pad remember ..
But yes it passed two times with almost same scores .. 7.1, 7.1, 6.6, 6.6, 7.0  ...
Can you please give me your temps :smileysad: Please ... Idle and Load and Dual display mode if you have external monitor ..

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/699/tempsqosmiox50012dkova.jpg

wxperson

which tool are you using to get the temps?

Occasional Contributor
Kova

[ Edited ]

I use GPU-Z, HWMonitor, FurMark, or even Everest, all display same ..

Can you please help me with answers, this answers will tell everything should I go to repair (warranty) or not.

wxperson

I think you definately have a warranty issue.

I ran the Windows experience index which stresses different portions of the system.. including the video.

The highest GPU temp was 61 C.. the min is 43C and current is 43C.  The rest of my readings are similar to yours.

Hope this helps.

George

PS.. I do not use a cooler

Occasional Contributor
Kova

Well it helps and it doesn't.

I asked something much different,...

I want to know about DUAL DISPLAY MOD (is your GPU on 100%), I want to know about 100% load GPU not few seconds load of GPU (so you should ran FurMark or any other real stress program)

Dual Display Mode heats up my computer higher than Windows Experience Test ..

You didn't tell me which drivers you use .. :smileysad:

Well I think my cooler on graphic card got loose or something, .. temperatures are jumping too fast.. 

wxperson

cant help you with dual display and I am only using the laptop screen.

How hot does your get in normal display mode running the Windows experience index?

My driver is the one that came with the system

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M... Version 8.16.11.8829 (12/6/2009).

Occasional Contributor
Kova

I was reading around about overheating problems and stuff..

I noticed few things, I'm not sure if this means something.

But faced towards laptop left exhaust is hot and right one is not. 

When I stress out GPU, I don't hear fans go faster. Stressing out CPU I hear fans go faster !!! 

I did read about USB sleep and charge, it was turned off whole time, I turned it on, I don't have 90% fan problem and never had. Well I will turn it off again.

What I noticed and this kills my theory that left exhaust doesn't work is that I hear it on start up (restart) speeding up and down ! 

I'm now 90% sure it is fan speed and fan control :smileysad:

I can't control it in any GPU program like riva tuner or EVGA P. hm.

wxperson

how hot does the GPU get when running the Windows experience index?

Occasional Contributor
Kova

It gets around 95°C for my computer..

wxperson

that is all the information you need to call support/repair.

Mine is 61 C.. yours is 95C running the same "test".

Occasional Contributor
Kova

wx can you please confirm this:

- your maximum temperature for whole WET is around 60°C 

- your toshiba is plugged in AC network (not on battery)

- your GPU not CPU temperature is around 60°C

please do it. Cause on Battery my laptop is pretty cold... 

Thanks.

wxperson

- YES (61C actually)

- YES

- YES

On Battery unit would not overheat (shut down).... only on AC power.

George

mfjacks

I just got my X505-Q887 and got a cooling error within the first 10 mins. of turning it on.  I noticed that the error always coincided with the GPU fan spinning up to a higher speed.  Upon closer inspection I realized what was happening.  The fan was making slight contact with something inside the case and it was not able to run at slower speeds, but was able to overcome the resistance when the GPU needed more cooling.  The error would appear, but the fan was providing enough cooling at that point, so the computer would continue to operate fine until the fan slowed to the point that the contact made it stop again.  I fixed the problem, or at least think I fixed the problem, by loosening all of the bottom case screws and re-tightening them.  The fan no longer makes a noise and the cooling issue has not reoccurred.  Hopefully I won't have anymore problems.

Occasional Contributor
marceloaziz

This fan is for GPU or for CPU ??

Or it is a general fan ??

Aziz

Marcelo Aziz
Qosmio X505-880
Occasional Contributor
Kova

Well I see on internet page from Toshiba (waiting for part) - SMALL PCB IO BOARD, and I read around silly answers what this is.

By logic it is input output PCB board .. but in plain language it is MEMORY from graphic card.

Description: VGA BOARD - N11E H-GD5 64M*16*8(1GB) 
 Toshiba Service Part

I just hope this solves my problem.

Occasional Contributor
Kova

Well today I see two more components, ordered from Toshiba:

FAN COOLING MODULE - this is 75W heatsink

PCB - Mother board, yes this is mother board..

Well instead of giving me new one, they will change lots of parts..

I was right, its not just memory :smileysad:

wxperson

Just as a reminder.. this is how they fixed my system... 

(from their report)

Diagnostic ACtion: System powered on and boots to Windows OK.  SYstem shut down itself due to overheating after less than 30 minutes of running test and DVD movie paly not smoothly.  Checking inside found that upper memory modult no seated properly (pops up when open the cover).  Keyboard holder found with broken tap.

Repair Action: Reassembled whole unit, cleaned and regreased CPU and chipset.  Replaced heatsink VGA, thermal module and keyboard holder.  System passed all test without overheating issue and shutdown normally.