elbee
Accepted Solution

how to clear the registered HDD password - i KNOW what it is

i registered an HDD password on my portege M700 because i wanted to see how it worked.  but now i can not clear it.  yes, i know what the password is but the software used to set it up ("Security Assist" provided by toshiba) will only clear the bios password.  i cant seem to clear it using the "security assist" software and i can't clear it after i boot into the BIOS Setup screen.   anyone know how to do this?
Occasional Contributor
oalee

Re: how to clear the registered HDD password - i KNOW what it is

You can do it from the BIOS Setup Screen.  It's usually clustered together with the options for security for bios boot-up password.
=====================================================
Okay, now I've closed all the windows. What do I do next? By the way, it's a bit warmer with all the windows closed...
elbee

i figured it out...i had to enter the existing password in order to clear it.  once i entered the password, it prompted me for a new one then i just hit the enter key.  that cleared it.  thanks.
Occasional Contributor
oalee

Great to hear that it worked for you.  Just a suggestion though, I personally wouldn't play around with HDD passwords.  If you forget what it is then you're definitely screwed and would require to change HDDs.  So, unless you have to secure really important information, you might want to stick to windows passwords or even BIOS passwords which can easily be resetted in case you forget the password that you used.
=====================================================
Okay, now I've closed all the windows. What do I do next? By the way, it's a bit warmer with all the windows closed...