Z935er

Z935 space bar

I'm considering buying the Z935, but then I read the reviews (http://bit.ly/RSZY9A and http://bit.ly/PngoDl) saying the space bar doesn't work, and sure enough I tried it at a Best Buy yesterday and pressing on the right side of the space bar repeatedly, it failed to register at all.  It only worked if I pressed in the middle or on the left, pretty hard.  This is a dealbreaker for me (and frankly pretty unbelievable that it can be shipped with such a disabling defect).  Toshiba -- how can I be sure that if I buy it, the space bar will work every time without fail?  (Please don't just say if it doesn't work I can return it, but respond with an actual answer about whether this is a known problem that you have addressed.)  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor
EmailGuy

Re: Z935 space bar

I have a Z935 that I purchased at Best Buy and all the keys are a little stiff. I believe this is because they have very little travel to keep the form factor slim. I do notice that when typing fast I am missing spaces. I had to slow down my typing a bit and it seems to work better. I have had to adjust my typing style to press the spacebar mode in the middle and it seems better.

I agree that the spacebar doesn't work like I would like it to, but I've learned to adjust to it. I love this laptop, so I'm willing to overlook this one failing.

Z935er

Thanks for the reply. After extensive comparison I had decided to get the Z935 because it does seem to have great specs, but I really can't see how to overlook a nonworking space bar, since I do like to use spaces fairly regularly -- seems kind of like saying "it's an amazing car except it can't turn left 10% of the time."  I hope someone from Toshiba can jump in here and convince me to buy it by saying they've fixed this.

Z935er

Just read another review mentioning the space bar problem -- see review by "Betsy" at http://bit.ly/QtBALJ -- and still no response whatsoever from Toshiba here.  I'm still prepared to buy the Z935 if I hear that this problem has been addressed, but it appears Toshiba does not want my $1,200.....

laptoplovers

you are right.. i returned mine for a terrible keyboard. I have been asking around if it is hit or miss or if all these have the same spacerbar problems. 

laptoplovers

this may or may not solve anything, but you can buy replacement keys here.

http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-24296/Toshiba-Z935-Laptop-Keyboard/Detail

Z935er

Aargh. I realize, of course, that Toshiba is not likely to post on this forum "yes, we know the space bar didn't work on all the units we've shipped to other customers, but we will fix it on the ones we ship in the future, so you should feel comfortable buying it" -- but I wish they could address this somehow. No other ultrabook seems to have the same combo of high power/low weight/low price, so it's really frustrating that this otherwise-ideal laptop is essentially useless at the main function of a computer (typing).  I guess I'll just have to let this go, and spend more for a heavier i7 ultrabook.
Regular Contributor
17incher

Well, if you'll take consideration of the 2012 Apple Macbook Air then yes. I returned my Z935 (i7, 6GB) for a Corei5 with 4GB RAM. Not much difference there if you considered the size, it only weighs just a tad more at 2.9lb vs 2.5 for the Toshiba. Talk about an amazing beyboard (all lit with various levels of dimming) and no prblems with the space bar. The creen is also solid as a rock, no flexing of any kind. Speakers are like hidden underneath the beyboard but gives a very high output and spatial sound! The price? $1,139 shipped!

Z935er wrote:
Aargh. I realize, of course, that Toshiba is not likely to post on this forum "yes, we know the space bar didn't work on all the units we've shipped to other customers, but we will fix it on the ones we ship in the future, so you should feel comfortable buying it" -- but I wish they could address this somehow. No other ultrabook seems to have the same combo of high power/low weight/low price, so it's really frustrating that this otherwise-ideal laptop is essentially useless at the main function of a computer (typing).  I guess I'll just have to let this go, and spend more for a heavier i7 ultrabook.

Dell XPS 17 | corei7 andy Bridge | 8G DDR3 | 1TB x7200 | BD-RE | 1080P
Z935er

....and now all of a sudden all Z935 models have mysteriously disappeared from the Toshiba website and are no longer being sold....hmm.

Occasional Contributor
EmailGuy

Best Buy still sells the Z935-P300 for $849.

jeffk69

Do you think we might have invested in the wrong machine emailguy? I just got mine from BB.

Occasional Contributor
EmailGuy

I'm happy with my purchase. Of course now I see that buy.com has the Z935-P300 for $749.99. As usual prices fall and then there is a new model. I keep thinking I'd love a Windows 8 tablet, but it would be hard to give up the performance and a stiff keyboard for far lower performance and no keyboard at all.

For me this Ultrabook is perfect. When working in my office I use an external keyboard, mouse, and second monitor. When traveling, just the laptop is all I need. I don't even carry the power brick in my carry-on. I pack it in my roller bag and usually leave it at the hotel. When I'm traveling I'm moving between customers and meetings and average only about 4 hours of computer time during the day. I end up spending several more hours on the computer at the hotel in the evening. A good charge at the hotel and I'm ready for the next day.

If I were to use the built-in keyboard for 8 hours a day, I would probably look at a different model.

So far there is no other computer in this price range that fits my working style better. We'll see in 3-6 months when all the new models come out. If Toshiba took this same laptop, added a touch screen, made it flip all the way around so you could use it like a tablet, and didn't add a lot of bulk or weight, that would become my perfect computer. Of course models like that will probably be much more expensive.

jeffk69

Wow, sounds like you and I are using this in the same manner. At least this is what I had been doing with the 5+ lb outdated Toshiba I am cleaning off as we speak :smileyhappy:

Can you share the details of the external stuff you are using while in the office? Your feedback would be welcomed....and much appreciated.

BB is selling it for 100.00 less! Oh boy I have a store run to make for Price Protection :smileyhappy: Thanks for the heads up!