[ Edited ]

R835-P56X:i can use SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) Now

1.BIOS Update to 3.0
2.My OCZ Vertex3 SSD firmware update to 2.11
3.install Intel RST Driver

Occasional Contributor
sautaja

Re: R835-P56X:i can use SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) Now

Hmm, does Schreiben mean 'Write'? I thought Vertex3 ocz's write access is ought to be faster eg: max 500MBps for the 120GB variant...

Occasional Contributor
DialMforMatt

Anything else you did? still getting sata II speeds after 3.0 update. all firmware and drivers are up to date as well 

Occasional Contributor
Skeletron

Still getting SATAII with the 3.0 update, a Crucial M4 and the latest firmware (0002).

zardli

In my experience, this is my third successful on SATA III (6.0), the key to success lies in SSD's firmware upgrade, after upgrade, then install the Intel RST Driver, there will be some chance of successfully open SATAIII.

anargyr

zardli wrote:

In my experience, this is my third successful on SATA III (6.0), the key to success lies in SSD's firmware upgrade, after upgrade, then install the Intel RST Driver, there will be some chance of successfully open SATAIII.

So this means that with OCZ Vertex3 we have the first config that achieves SATA III speeds in this laptop? Because the other users reported problems on different SSDs. May be we should get this one we want to achieve this speed.

anargyr

sautaja wrote:

Hmm, does Schreiben mean 'Write'? I thought Vertex3 ocz's write access is ought to be faster eg: max 500MBps for the 120GB variant...

I was very happy with the OP but it seems you are right. Something is wrong. From http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vertex-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

120GB Max Performance

• Max Read: up to 550MB/s
  • Max Write: up to 500MB/s
  • Random Write 4KB: 60,000 IOPS
  • Maximum 4K Random Write: 85,000 IOPS
Occasional Contributor
sautaja

The OP just posted a new screenshot:

http://forums.toshiba.com/tshb/attachments/tshb/brd_Portege/2242/5/atto.jpg

The block sizes range from 64KB to 8192 KB seem to achieve pretty good write speeds, closed to ~500MBps that is.

Occasional Contributor
sautaja

Can Toshiba also officially confirm whether its v3 BIOS solution for SATA III (6.0 Gb/s) limitation only works for OCZ SSD?

Occasional Contributor
raychan

Skeletron wrote:

Still getting SATAII with the 3.0 update, a Crucial M4 and the latest firmware (0002).

No dice for me either, even though I have installed 3.0 BIOS and tried reinstalling RST after upgrade my m4 to 0009 firmware.

hugoazevedo

Dear All,

Can you give more details about the versions that you use bacause i already UPdate the BIOS to 3.0, firmware of ocz agility 3 for 2.11, and install the latest intel driver version but it still sataII 3.0Gbps.

Can you help?

ivyesq1906

can anyone confirm this? i want to buy this system instead of a macbook pro 13 and will get a vertex 3. the only thing i don't like about the r835-p56x is no SATA III and no backlight keyboard. i can live without the backlight keyboard if this system can run SATA III for sure with the newest update.

anargyr

hugoazevedo wrote:

Dear All,

Can you give more details about the versions that you use bacause i already UPdate the BIOS to 3.0, firmware of ocz agility 3 for 2.11, and install the latest intel driver version but it still sataII 3.0Gbps.

Can you help?

The OP specified the versions that he used in his first message. It seems they are exactly the same with yours. So if you don't get SATA III speeds we are in bad luck. Can you post your CrystalDiskMark results? May be we can compare them. 

Hopefully we will have more news from Toshiba soon.

hugoazevedo

Dear Anargly this week i already updated the firmware to the lastest 3.1, but still in sataII 3.0Gbps, in attach i put the CrystalDiskMark result.

Occasional Contributor
AleeTR

I install fresh windows 7 ultimate and lasted RST. but still working sata II..

I hate toshiba customer service and forum.. they dont help us.

ivyesq1906

[ Edited ]

if sata iii were enabled with the latest update, this would have been a big thing and toshiba would have announced it... i'm convinced that sata iii is not enabled and probably will not be.  because we can't even get a straight answer or feedback, going to go ahead and get a 2011 13" macbook pro so i can be sure that i have sata iii speeds with my new ssd.  wanted to give this toshiba system a chance but with sata iii disabled, no backlight keyboard, and toshibia having no urgency in getting back to customers, doesn't seem to really make sense.

Occasional Contributor
sautaja

FYI this model has been marked "This laptop is no longer available at most retail stores, online retailers, resellers, or ToshibaDirect.com." at http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/portege/R830/R835-P56X/

I don't know if it implies something to the current support. Or maybe they are planning for the next wave of ultrabook.

Occasional Contributor
Skeletron

[ Edited ]

I've gathered that they have no intention of releasing a BIOS update enabling SATAIII until they decide to release their own SSD version of the laptop, which is likely not going to happen judging from the above post. Very frustrating.

View this thread:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Port%C3%A9g%C3%A9-Laptops/R835-Limited-to-SATA-II-Transfer-Rate-3-Gb-s-...

Jim:

"There may be a BIOS update to add SATA III support in the future, if this model is updated with SATA III drives built in." ... "Toshiba often releases model family updates with enhanced features, such up processor & storage uplifts, as components become available in volumes and at prices that make sense for a given product's market position. So if a future R835 were to ship with a SATA III SSD (or hard disk) then there would likely be a BIOS update supporting SATA III performance."

Occasional Contributor
AleeTR

so i'm selling my toshiba and buy sony s series or asus.. and i will get no limitation for new technological machine.

mindfulfairy

I emailed Toshiba regarding this issue and this is their reply:

Hi!

"On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Contact Us <contactus@toshiba.ca> wrote:
Hello Tor

The SATA 111 will be launched mid 2012 and do not have any clear details as of yet.

Regards,

Inside Sales
Toshiba of Canada Limited"
I am very happy with my Portege R835, except for the sata-issue....severely limiting my SSD speed, as I as many others bought this computer specifically because I thought it supported Sata 3. It is absolutely horrific of Toshiba to limit the sata speeds without telling their customers about it!! They will definitely lose thousands of customers on this rather stupid move of theirs. Unbelievable!! Why ruin such a good computer. Sell customers a Ferrari not telling them it's speed limited to 80mph. Toshiba; be up front about such vital information to your customers!!!