Porsche650

R100 will not boot up CD-rom

I recently acquired a r100 for work.  The computer operated slow and had a ton of junk so I decided to reformat the computer and start with a clean slate.  I used a win98 floppy to reformat the drive since my XP-CD was giving me an error and I was in the process of getting another one to try(old one had surface scratches).  So I reformatted and found out especially after a few posts that's it was not that easy to reinstall using the external cdrom.  I ended up reading http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=32996 and http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=19232 which I in turn got the recovery floppy off Toshiba's website and win2000 boot up floppy in which I used forum 19232 and recommendation to modify autoexec.bat and config.sys to get the cdrom to work.  It did work once I copied the floppy information to C: and used fcpoint then autoexec which allowed me to copy I386 to C: and use winnt to install windows (now my mistake) I ended the install and reformatted the C: to see the exact steps I took get the cdrom to work which since then has not worked.  If I boot up from the cdrom it reads starts installing the files for xp then gives me a 0x0000007B error and trying the boot discs it said it cannot find the cdrom.  I am clueless at this point why it worked before and not now?  I reset the bios to 1.60 version I do not know if one of the bios options switched on or off would be the problem.  Any ideas on what to try?

Porsche650

Re: R100 will not boot up CD-rom

Maybe get a really big hammer break it and get a new one a better idea?

Regular Builder
Daschiba

Re: R100 will not boot up CD-rom

Sorry mate, maybe you consider that nobody here really has an idea what's your actual problem is - narrowing things down may help. as far I gathered you've got an R100, a floppy a suitable CDRom and a scratched original R100 recovery XP CD. scratches don't matter both sides on that CD (i.e. the vulnarable labelled top side) are sealed. just grind them off with super fine ointment you can get for mobile phone displays too. regards Damian