Occasional Contributor
Camino
Accepted Solution

Quick look on how to upgrade the Z935-P300 to 10GB RAM

[ Edited ]

I decided to upgrade the Toshiba Z935-P300 with a 8GB DIMM RAM, and now I have 10GB of RAM. Working great.

Here is quick video installing the 8GB in the Z935.

[admin edit to embed linked video]

JPD12

Re: Quick look on how to upgrade the Z935-P300 to 10GB RAM

Great vid...thanks!

Occasional Contributor
Camino

Re: Quick look on how to upgrade the Z935-P300 to 10GB RAM

Thanks! Glad to help out. :smileywink:

alanmcd

Re: upgrade Z935-P300 to 10GB RAM - not good for me

I did the upgrade with the exact 8GB in the video, and indeed the OS recognized the 10GB and ran benchmarks extra fast.  I went to bed happy, but the next morning the system churned trying to boot and eventually failed out to a cold boot.

I called support and they walked me through restoring the disk image, which also increased the Intel Rapid Start partition to 10GB and the OS hyberfil.sys file to 7GB.  I used the default Intel Rapid Start time in the bios, the default sleep when lid closed, and default OS hibernate setting of 360m, and again everything looked good until the morning, and this time, much longer thrashing.  Much, much longer before the system would fail and cold boot.

I removed the 8GB stick, replaced the 2GB stick, restored the disk image, and the system has been very reliable.  

BTW, running the Eclipse J2EE developer IDE uping the JVM memory setting to 1GB, tomcat, and the Android SDK simulator, the system only used a max of 53% of 4GB.  I have a 4GB stick coming to up the system to 6GB but I have the feeling it may very rarely be used.

alanmcd

Upgraded Z935-P300: 10GB RAM not good for me - 6GB 256GB upgrade is good

Update:  Upgraded RAM to 6GB and SSD to 256GB - system working great

(Note: OS is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with latest updates)

I upgraded RAM with Kingston KVR16S11S8/4  ($25) and SSD with Crucial m4 CT256M4SSD3 ($197) and did the factory software restore from a $14 Walmart 16GB USB2 Cruiser Glide flash drive (16GB USB3.0 Transcend JetFlash would never boot the restore image).  This creates the 6GB Intel Rapid Start partition, a 4.4GB hiberfil.sys, and a 6GB pagefil.sys.  powercfg -H off  got rid of the unneeded hiberfil.sys file and I set the pagefil.sys to custom min:400MB max:1000MB which reduced the pagefil.sys to 400MB thus recovering a total of 10GB of free space.

The windows experience Index increased to 6.4 from 5.9 (with 4GB and 128GB factory) now due to the Graphics score.  The processor index is unchanged, the HD transfer rate is unchanged, but the RAM index went up to 7.3 vs the 5.9 factory.  So the factory index was limited by the RAM, and my new config is limited by the Graphics.

The factory disk had an ATTO disk bench 4096kB overlapped of 524MB/s write and 555MB/s read, while the new Crucial only has 259MB/s write and 540MB/s read, which matches the Crucial m4 256GB reviews, but reviews state that in real world application use the slower write speed does not impact for some reason.  I think I see that the Eclipse startup went from 8 seconds to 9 seconds, but that is counting "one-one thousand..." not with a stop watch.

The 64bit Geekbench of my system went down 1.1% from 7292 with factory settings to 7209 so perhaps the Kingston 4GB memory is just slightly slower than the Samsung M471B5773CHS-CK0 factory RAM.

Interestingly, I loaded everything up - Word, Excel, Eclipse, Tomcat, CoolEditPro, Visio 2003, some utilities, Lotus Notes, four browser tabs in Chrome, IE, MS paint with a screenshot, perfmon, resmon, and our corporate software updater doing its thing -  the memory usage only got to 60% of 6GB, (and paging file use maxed at 60% of my 400MB custom pagefile.sys).  I have the feeling the 4GB might have been enough since I don't do photo or video editing on this machine.

(I have also ordered an Intel Centrino 6235 wireless card $26 so I can use 5GHz band network.)

The 128GB mSATA factory drive runs very nicely in a tiny MyDigital USB3.0 enclosure at 166MB/s overlapped read and write.

I am really pleased with my "lightweight" workstation - with the SSD the Z935 is as fast as the "corporate workhorse"  Lenovo W530 (5.8lbs + 1.7lb "brick" adapter plus giant case needed brings the horse to 8.5 lbs on your shoulder.)  I never thought I would BYOD but after two months with the "horse" on my shoulder, I tapped the savings account to save my body.