bodaciousllama

Portege R835-P56X wireless - why does it suck?

I am planning on buying this laptop to use as my main machine, but I have some reservations due to the weak wireless performance.

Do we know where the problem lies: is it the driver, the antenna, or the card itself?

Has anyone here tried to change out the card? 

dtfeld

Re: Portege R835-P56X wireless - why does it suck?

I think its the Intel Wifi 1000 card stock card.  I replaced it with the Intel Wifi 6300 and added a third antenna for around $60 and it was easy.  I have a new Cisco E4200 and I have seen 450 Mbps right next to the router but upstairs where I use the computer, its about 108 Mbps.  I enabled QOS, WMM and prioritize on the 5 GHz band and can easily stream AVHDC Hi def video from my server.

I could not get this from the stock card no matter what I did.  My understanding of the Wifi 1000 is it is a 1x2 card and the 6300 is 3x3, giving the ability to reach 450 Mbps.

I ordered the parts off Amazon, and did the install myself.  Unplug everything including the battery.  Remove the back cover (about 18 little Phillips head screws) pop the cover off, and the card is held in by 1 screw.  Remove the screw and 2 antenna connectors and the card pops right out.  Pop new card in reconnect antenna connectors  Card is now installed.

As for the third antenna, I just coiled it up and taped it to the DVD drive.  Some say take the LCD apart and install next to the others, but I read u don't have to and I'm satisfied with the performance.  If you don't want to fool with the 3rd antenna, just purchase the 6200 (or 6230 to add built in Bluetooth).  You will "only" get a maximum 300 Mbps with this setup, but it would still be a major improvement. 

Shame on Toshiba for shipping with this crappy card.

Occasional Contributor
raychan

Thank you DTFELD for the informative post, I installed a "legacy" Advanced N 6200 card as you suggested and things have improved.

vilma

hi, I can use this Toshiba Portege R835-P56X driver for wireless device and others. Working

Occasional Contributor
tishatossie

[ Edited ]

Are you having good performance with it, Vilma, or it is just mediocre?

Occasional Contributor
gondo

Went to Amazon, want to confirm which 6300 card to buy - the 633ANHMW Mini PCI Express model for $31.93 or the 6300 633AN.HMWG Half Height Mini Card Vpro model for $45.99? I assume one would have to purchase the Tyco Wifi & Bluetooth antenna for $4.99 as well?

Occasional Contributor
samzy

I almost ordered the 6300, but decided to go with the 6230 so I can gain Bluetooth!  I hope I won't be disappointed.

Occasional Contributor
gondo

After using the installed Intel WiFi 1000 card for a few days, I can confirm it is utter crap :smileymad:

Still looking for an answer to whether I need the Intel 6300 regular PCI mini card or half height card version.

Don't need or want Bluetooth, just a badly-needed throughput boost! 

Occasional Contributor
raychan

gondo wrote:

Went to Amazon, want to confirm which 6300 card to buy - the 633ANHMW Mini PCI Express model for $31.93 or the 6300 633AN.HMWG Half Height Mini Card Vpro model for $45.99? I assume one would have to purchase the Tyco Wifi & Bluetooth antenna for $4.99 as well?

The two items you referred to appear to be the same; they are both half height cards.  And yes you would have to purchase and install the extra antenna if you want to take advantage of the Centrino 6300's 3-stream capability.  I just went with a 6200 to avoid the hassle.

Occasional Contributor
gondo

Thanks for the info, looks like they're all half height. I may get the 6200 as well, not only to save on the hassle but my wireless router maxes out at 300 Mbps, so 450 is unnecessary. Less $$ too. 

LindaDN8

A lot of valuable inputs here to help me decide on getting a Portege R835-P56X. 

pandalex

My new r835-56x seems to have the connection to the internet "flicker" every now and again. All other devices connected to our router at home seem fine, on my laptop can't. We have a Vizio router, which runs at 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Reading this thread, it seems that a possible solution to my flakey wireless could be the stock card. I'm wondering if I should get the 6200 so I can have a more reliable connection...?

Any advice would help since I'm not very experienced in the LAN department. Thanks! 

nebody00

[ Edited ]

I just did the upgrade to the 6230 (300Mbps + bluetooth).  It was pretty easy and the only hard part was pulling those little coaxial cables off the old card (need long finger nails or tweezers).

Ordered from:  http://www.amazon.com/6230-IEEE-802-11n-draft-Bluetooth/dp/B004PG08SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313603... (don't mind the pic of the motherboard it was the wifi card they sent)

Performance is 2x faster than the stock card (usually got 100-125Mbps from router sitting next to it now I get 240-270Mbps).  Moving a 2 gig file over the wifi network used to move at 1.25MB/sec now it jumped up to 5Mb/sec. The bluetooth works great after installing the Toshiba Drivers (the BT stack Atheros then the BT drivers).  For some reason the Bluetooth drivers from Intel didn't work but the Toshiba ones did.  It automatically picked up a BT mouse I was using. 

Occasional Contributor
gondo

Nebody, thanks for the update, glad to hear your wireless performance has improved. I bought a 6200 card on Ebay yesterday, hopefully I'll have similar improvement as with your 6230.

Another major gripe I have about the wireless on this laptop involves it reconnecting coming out of Sleep mode. It usually has to be manually reconnected to the router signal, and then it usually takes nearly a minute to connect, terrible! I had updated the wifi driver to the latest one on the Intel web site, which made no difference. I rolled back the driver to the Toshiba one, and it still does the same thing. I disabled any power saving modes for the wireless card as well.

Anyone else having this problem? 

jim_joh

On my R835-P5xI changed my network card to 6230 and after sleep it connects at once and always stays conected Also now have bluetooth. I also upgraded the ram to 8gb and replaced the hard drive with a Samsung 126gb SSD Oh what a fast unit I have Believe me when I say startup from sleep in 4 secs and a full startup in 18 secs. I am so appy with this notebook. I kept the dvd drive. jimjoh

Occasional Contributor
gondo

I think I fixed the wireless reconnect returning from sleep, I uninstalled the updated PRO/Set software and uninstalled the WiFi driver in Device Manager, then reinstalled the original Toshiba WiFi Link 1000 driver without the PRO/Set software, seems a lot better now. Although the point is relatively moot, as I will be getting my Intel 6200 WiFi card

shortly.

First thing I did to my 56X was install a 128GB SSD and Windows 7 boot times are zooooom! I'll upgrade the RAM to 8GB soon and this thing will really fly then. I'm gonna keep the DVD drive installed as well, will be great for the occasional movie, software install, audio CD, data save, etc.

As with any new tech toy, there are glitches, but for the most part I am happy so far. This is my first Toshiba laptop and I'm hoping it's a keeper. 

Occasional Contributor
gondo

Got my Intel 6200 Advanced-N card, installation was easy, as pointed out earlier in the thread. The only hiccup I had was the latest Intel driver for it (v14.x.x.x) did not work, so I had to install the previous driver, v13.5.0.6, which came out in Jan. 2011 and worked fine. What was a bit strange was that Intel mentioned that if you have the 6200 "Ultimate-N"card, as opposed to what I assume is the more common Advanced-N card, you had to use that older v13 driver. The description on Ebay said Advanced-N and when I installed the v13 driver, that's what it says in Device Manager. Go figure.

Anyway, wireless performance is improved and no problems coming out of sleep now. I would definitely recommend this update. If you're uneasy about opening up the bottom of the laptop, recruit your neighborhood (or whatever) geek for the project :smileyhappy:.

joxerthemighty

I am probably getting a portege for xmas.  does the wifi really suck that bad.  I think what best buy has is the r835-p70.  im sure the card is still the same.  will i be able to get on my home network from back on my house at least - probably around 50 feet.  will this pick up at hotels when I travel.  I am not a novice but def not an expert. I have changed out hard drives(with xp and older only-due to me having the discs), changed ram , used a hard drive adapter to make a new drive work in an old computer, partitioned hard drives, built external hard drives.  I would prob want the easiest upgrade.  the 6200 I would think.  can anyone point me to the part on amazon or ebay.  I would get the one that had bluetooth that was linked.  just not sure id use the bluetooth.  lastly, are the drivers hard to find to get it to work.  this seems like the best bang for the buck computer for me-size, specs, battery.  I was ready to pull the trigger until I heard that the card sucks that bad.  only other thing i might do is add ram and maybe an ssd over time.  they dont give you the disc anymore.  how did you get the os on the ssd.  a restore disc wont work unless its the same hard drive i was told by someone.  thanks for the help.

joxerthemighty

this will be my first experience with anything other than xp  btw.  well I have messed with linux a bit and of course used coputers with mac os and windows 7. I am a late adopter i guess.  hate that they dont give you the discs anymore also.

joxerthemighty

would there be anything else anyone would recommend if i didnt wanna change out the card.  needs for computer - 13 or 14 size, relatively light, aluminum case, great battery life, like to have a dvd drive-guess that doesnt matter as much now though with no one giving you discs-lol, good wifi, i3 or i5,  budget of 750 or so.  thanks again.