Occasional Contributor
havant

How to delete files in winsxs

My laptop, a 705, has an Intel cpu but in the c:\windows\winsxs directory there are many files of names starting with amd64_

Do I need these? They take up a lot of space.

How can I delete them? I changed ownership of the winsxs directory but still unable to delete. I get an error "You require permission from System to make changes to this folder." I ran the cmd files:

takeown /f c:\windows\winsxs /r /d y
icacls c:\windows\winsxs /grant administrators:F /t

but still can't get rid of them.

Suggestions?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: How to delete files in winsxs

in the c:\windows\winsxs directory there are many files.. 

How can I delete them?

Best to leave them be. Let Windows do its thing.

The Secret Of Windows Vista / Windows 7 Winsxs Folder.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
havant

It would seem that the supplied OS is for both amd and Intel cpu systems. I can understand why I would not want to delete any of the Intel files but why keep the amd stuff on my Intel system? There are an awful lot of them and they take a lot of space. I would think I should have the option of getting them off if they are not needed.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Just because you have an Intel cpu doesn't mean that programs having amd in the name should not occur.

Which "707" model do you have? What is the part number? Which country?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
havant

The computer is a Portege R700-P25, and I'm in California which I think is still part of the USA.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Peculiar that Toshiba doesn't have that model listed on this site (yet?). I see it's got Windows 7 Home Premium and an I3-350M processor.  The hardware is probably similar to this one?

Portege R700-S1310

In my opinion, you're chasing windmills.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
havant

No problem finding it listed on Toshiba's site. I login to the site and look at updates for it often. Maybe the confusion is due to the dual naming. It part of the Portege R700 series and the specific model is the R705-P25. I believe it was a model made for Best Buy, at least that is where I bought it. Perhaps you're correct about my Don Quixote efforts.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Portege R705-P25 (PT314U-00U014)

I was looking for an R700.

-Jerry