marys

Deleting pre-installed programs

Hi, I appreciate all the effort that went into the programs pre-installed on my new R835-P50X. However, I would prefer to get rid of everything that is duplicated in Windows 7 or is not absolutely vital to running the computer. I'll take a look and reinstall what I want at a later date. My goal is to have the computer essentially cleaned out entirely before I add any programs.

Can you please list which programs can be safely deleted, as well as which cannot and why?

Thanks,

Mary S

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Deleting pre-installed programs

[ Edited ]

I personally wouldn't delete anything. The Toshiba utilties all have their uses at different times. But, to save memory you can stop them from running or loading quite easily using MSConfig.exe and services.msc. This has the added benefit of making them quite easy to enable again, should you find it necessary.

For programs that run on startup, click on 'Start' and type in MSConfig.exe and click on this file. Click on the 'Startup' tab at top. I have removed the checkmarks from

Adobe Acrobat

Adobe Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Manager

Bluetooth Monitor  - Toshiba Corp

HDMI Control Manager - Toshiba Corp

Install Shield Update Service

Java Platform SE Auto Updater

Realplayer (32bit)

Toshiba Zooming Utility

Toshiba Service Station

But, this will be a little different for everyone, depending on what they have installed, use regularly, and their preferences.

However, for Toshiba items, from my own experience and uses, I have NOT touched

Toshiba Button Support

Toshiba Flash Card Utility

Toshiba Power Support

Kenotify Application - unknown (part of Toshiba Flash Cards)

SVPWUTIL Application - Toshiba (BIOS Supervisor Password Windows Utility)

HWSetup - Toshiba (allows changes to the BIOS from inside Windows)

Remove the checkmarks from what you want, click 'Apply' then 'OK' then agree to the immediate reboot to save all your changes.

Then move on to Services, click on 'Start' and type in   service.msc  and click on this file. I have not stopped and disabled any Toshiba Services. But, it's up to you.

Using these methods, especially if you keep careful note of the changes you have made, makes it very easy to enable these things again, should you find it necessary. With a little common sense, plus some trail and error you can find a workable solution, to free up as much RAM as possible. But, with the confidence you you can put it back the way it was.

Mike

marys

Thanks, MIke, for your response. I appreciate your counsel and experience. As you said, though, we each use different programs. Is there a list of what each one is and does and whether it is vital to operations? I would prefer to make my own decisions about what I want on there and what I don't. For example, I can choose which web browser, media player, etc. that I want to use. But since this is my first Toshiba brand computer, I don't want to remove something that is critical for the machine to run. Is there a list of what is important not to delete for the machine to work at all vs. just the stuff that Toshiba thinks I will enjoy using?

--Mary

Super Advisor
miker643

I am sure that the Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP), and these four related utilities are critical for the stable operation of any reasonably new Toshiba laptop:

Toshiba Button Support

Toshiba Flash Card Utility

Toshiba Power Support

Kenotify Application - unknown (part of Toshiba Flash Cards)

The TVAP and these utilities control the power functions of the laptop, as well as all the 'Fn' + 'Fx' key combinations that control screen brightness, toggle on/off WiFi, bluetooth, touchpad, external monitors, etc. Disabling/deleting any of these can result in the inability to turn on, or control, any of these functions.

You can read up on these for your model beginning on page 207 of your Portégé® R830 Series User’s Guide

However, on my computer, I do not like, nor is it good for my battery life, to run the 'Illumination'. But, if I do not have the HWSetup program running, even if I disable Illumination in my BIOS, as soon as Windows starts the Illumination comes back on.

That is why I advise against 'deleting' ANY of the Toshiba utilities, especially if you are not familiar with them, or how it will impact your computer's operation, for what will likely be a very marginal improvement in performance. But, again, using MSConfig.exe and services.msc allows you to disable them and save your RAM. But, also allows you to enable them again easily, should you find you need them.

However, it's your computer, so you can of course do whatever you want with it.

Mike

marys

Thank you, Mike. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I will just disable some things from the start menu so I don't mess anything up. Additionally, I have the recovery disks made in case I go too far and need them. But it is nice to know what not to turn off.

--Mary