Factory Restore

Factory Restore

I am trying to do a Factory Restore on my lap top.  I know I am supposed to press 0 when it is starting up and  have done it before. However, for some reason it is not working.  Is there anything I can do??

Topics: 70
Kudos: 824
Solutions: 482

Re: Factory Restore

What's the model number of your computer? It should be listed on a label on the bottom.

The recovery information is on a separate partition. It is possible you've formatted that partition. Have you ever installed Windows from a Windows disc on this computer rather than using the recovery?

- Peter

I have a Satellite L655D-S5055 and no this did not come with any discs.  Thank you!

What happens when you hold '0' while starting the computer? Do you get an error of some sort?

- Peter

No error message - it doesn't do anything. It just starts normally even though I am holding 0 down.

Topics: 57
Kudos: 1,631
Solutions: 377

[ Edited ]

Are you sure you are holding down 0 (zero), as opposed to holding down O (oh)?

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 10 Home 64 Bit--Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 10 Home 64 Bit and Win 10 PRO Insider Preview--Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit--Toshiba Sat. Radius P25W-C2300-4K Win 10 Home 64 Bit
cfc
Occasional Contributor

Information:

Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk.  From this special hidden image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer.  Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
  5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
  7. Click Yes to continue.
  8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
  9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

Please note that the process may vary slightly from machine to machine, that you may be asked to insert disks (multi-disk packages) and that the process may take one to two hours to complete.  The recovery process will require you to restart your computer several times.

As you use the recovery process you will have several options. One of these may be to create a custom size partition. Follow the directions on screen for this and other options as prompted.  When in doubt, it's usually best to accept the default, or pre-selected option.

cfc
Occasional Contributor

Creating system recovery media using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator utility

Information:

There may come a time when you would either need or simply want to "start over" with the software image on your computer. This "start over" (or "Recovery") will restore the software on your computer back to its original factory condition. The down side of this process is that you will LOSE ALL DATA and programs that were not preinstalled at the factory.

There are several ways to perform the recovery process.  One method is to use CD or DVD** disks created especially for this purpose. You can make recovery disks, with blank CD or DVD disks that you provide, using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator utility. You can make as many "sets" of the disks as you like (please note that the disk sets are specific to YOUR machine and cannot be used to "recover" other computers.) Toshiba recommends you keep at least one set of disks to use in case of an emergency.

Note: Not all machines offer both CD and DVD options. DVDs provide much larger storage capacity thus requiring fewer disks to make up the set.

Steps to create Recovery Media:

1. To use the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator click on the Start button in the lower left hand portion of the screen.

2. Type "recovery" in to the Search bar. As you type results will start populating the menu. The more you type the more "refined" the list will become, giving fewer and fewer options as you "narrow" the search. Note: If the results do not include the "Recovery Media Creator" utility, type "Toshiba recovery" in the search bar and try again.

3. Next, select "Recovery Media Creator" from the options presented to you. Note: The option may also be "Toshiba Recovery Media Creator", "Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator" or "Recovery Disk Creator".

4. Select "Yes" when prompted with the question, "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to your computer?"

5. Within the "Media Selection" area place checkmarks in the boxes next to the options you desire. The "System Recovery Media" option will make a disk set that will perform a complete recovery of your software. Some models include the option to create "Application Disks" (as seen below). This option will allow you to create a disk set you can use to reinstall programs you specifically select from a list of applications originally shipped with the computer. Note: The "Media Set" section allows you to select the type of media you prefer, the example shows the default selection; DVDs.

6. The "information" box indicates what type of disks, and how many of them, you will need in order to create the disk sets you’ve selected. Note: Take the time to label the disks as you create them in order to avoid confusion later.

7. Checking the "Verify" box will allow the program to check the data as it is being written to the disks. Selecting this option will take longer for the application to create the disks but will ensure the disks are in good working order when completed.

8. Place a blank disk into your CD-ROM/DVD drive then select the "Create" button on the lower right of the page. Follow the on-screen instructions as you move through the process inserting new disks as the program requests them. Note: It may take several moments for the disk to become available after you close the drive .

Additional Information:

1. The path to the Toshiba Media Creator Utility is not identical on each machine. If you want to locate the specific location of the application you can use:
    1. Start menu>All Programs>Toshiba>Utilities>Toshiba Recovery Media Creator
    2. Start menu>All Programs>CD & DVD Applications>Toshiba Recovery Media Creator

2. On some machines the application can be found by using "Toshiba recovery" in the search bar while others use simply "recovery".

3. On some machines the application is called the "Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator" utility as opposed to the "Toshiba Recovery Media Creator".

Unplug the ac adapter and remove the battery, then press and hold the power button. Then connect the ac adapter then press and hold the 0 (zero) then power on the laptop, thats how i got mine to give me the menu option to factory reset the toshiba satellite, c55-A

This is how I did mine:  Remove battery and unplug the AC adapter, press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds.  Let go the button, plug in the AC adapter, press the power button, when the Toshiba splash screen appears, press F8 right away (you may have to tap it a few times) until the Windows startup menu appears, select the first option,which is repair your system or something like that.  Follow prompts and voilla.  I have a brand new operating system when it starts up again.  It took about 1 hour and 1/2.  Good luck.

So after 1 year and 3 weeks I get the blue screen of death.  I took my disks that you told me to make when I first bought it, I went thru the first disk with no problem, when I put in the 2nd it told me I needed repair.  I just wanted to put it back to factory settings am I now go ok ng to be able to do this

Can you please contact me

Christina Siino

Then I will be able to give you more information

Thank you for your time

Usually if the recovery media doesn't work, it indicates a hardware failure of some sort. However, it could be possible that the media has become corrupted.

StephenG, the recovery media would still work.

- Peter

So what do we do if the media does not work......because that has happened to a laptop a guy I no has

I've appreciated all of the prior posts on this forum topic..and have tried them all...but to no success.

I apologize for this long forum post but I wanted to succeinctly describe the troubleshooting process I have already tried.  Points 1, 2 and 3 below detail that process.  POINT 4 (AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST) DESCRIBES WHAT I AM HOPING IS A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE FOR RESOLVING THE BELOW-DESCRIBED PROBLEM THAT MY FRIEND IS HAVING WITH HIS TOSHIBA COMPUTER.

And, thank you in advance for taking the tme to read this long detailed post and for offering amy suggestions you might think might help resolve the bootup problem.  Here goes:

My friend owns a Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5206 (with Windows 8.1). Part # PSCN4U-00V005. Serial # 7E144326P.

Recently, he began being unable to boot up this computer and, despite everything he tried, he keeps getting the following  light blue error sreen stating:

"RECOVERY

Your PC needs to be repaired

The application or operating system couldn't be loaded becasue a requested file is mising or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media.  If you don't have any installed media (like a disc or USB device) contact your system administrator or PC manufacurer.

Press ENTER to try again.

Press F8 for Startup Settings.

Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings."

The Results?

1.  No luck following any of the instructions on this screen.  In fact, despite trying the "Enter", "F8" or "Esc" options listed above,  the computer. basically stayed locked onto that error screen measage and the computer did not do anything.

2.  I also tried to get into the computer's hidden partition to reformat the computer to the factory settings.  I've pressed "0" both normally, and after removing the battery and pressing and holding the power button for 15-30 seconds.  And then, with or without the battery being installed and using only the AC power cord.  Limited luck here; after the Toshiba splash screen, I was now able to get to a new screen that stated something like "Loading Windows Repair".  But, nothing loaded, and, after a pause of approximately 20-30 seconds, the computer either shut off completely or it dis[played a screen simialr to the above-described quoted screen message.

3. In an effort to get to the bottup alternative screen (i.e.,. the SAFE MODE and Command Prompt options screen), after removing the battery, I also tried booting up by turning on the power button and immediately hitting "F8" repeatedly.  I could never get into the SAFE screen options screen but, instead got booted into the above-described "Loading Windows Repair" screen page.

Toshiba Customer Support advised me that if  we were not able to get into the hidden partition following the ")" key procedure above-described then, the machine either had a corrupted hiden partition or the computer had had a hard drive replacement and the Toshiba Windows OS was not installed thereon. They then suggested that if my friend wanted to resotre his computer back to factory defualt settings (including the hidden partition), the only viable solution might be to purchase a thumbdrive from Toshiba that has the Toshiba version of Windows 8.1 personalized for this computer.  AARGH!  (grin)

4.  Anyway, I'm open to trying anything constructive that any forum members might be able to suggest.  I'm particularly curious to learn if there is any way that I can gain access to this computer so that I can go to the \Windows\system32 folder and replace the corrupted (or missing?) "winload.efi" file.  If such is possible, it would be appreciated it someone could also point me to a link where I could download the winload.efi file applicable to this Toshiba computer.

In this regard, is it possible to boot up into the F8 screen by first using a Windows XP or a Windows 7 installation disc, go to the Command Prompt, install the Winload.efi file, exit out of the process (i.e., shut down the computer) and then turn on the computer and, VOILA!,  have his computer now boot up in his Win 8.1 OS?  I don't own any Windows OS discs except for Win XP and Win 7.  Hence, my concentrating on those OSes relative to this question.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this long post and for any suggestions you might have to resolving this problem.  My firend is disabled and is on Social Security.  So, if there might be any solution short of buying a thumbdrive with the Toshiba version of Windows 8.1, that would be much appreciated.

Mike

Topics: 83
Kudos: 8,928
Solutions: 3,169

Satellite C55D-B5206

You should be able to access the recovery environment (Choose-an-option screen) one of these ways.

ChooseAnOption.jpg

Restart the computer and immediately start tapping the F12 key until the Boot Menu appears. Using the arrow keys, select <HDD Recovery> and press Enter. When you are asked to confirm if you want to continue with recovery, select Yes.

If that doesn't work, download a Windows 8.1 installation drive.

Create installation media for Windows 8.1

At the beginning of the installation process, you can reach the recovery environment at the lower-left of the screen.

repair-your-computer-windows-8.jpg

Once you're in the recovery environment, there's no end of things to try. If you just want to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents, try this.

Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

-Jerry
Channel 9

[ Edited ]

(EDIT UPDATE (from post set out immediately below).:  Following the instructions provided by Jerry, above, I was able to successfully create the "Windows 8.1 Instalation drive" disk both on a USB flash drive and burned to a DVD disk.  Armed with thosetwo  items, I'll be attempting to use them on my friend's Toshiba computer. and get his hidden partition repaired.)

Hi, Jerry,

Thanks for that prompt reply. It is very much appreciated.

After reading your message, I think I might have screwed something up.  Here's why:

In anticipation that the F12 option probably will not work (or get my friend into the hidden partition or the Troubleshoot-->Reset your PC" option, I was trying to make a copy of the "Windows 8.1 installation drive" disc to bring along with me to his house., I decided to copy the needed file(s) to a DVD or a USB drive.

I inserted a blank DVD into my computer and I clicked on the URL link you provided.   I was presented with a number of options as to how to create this file(?). I chose to copy the file(s) via Windows Internet Explorer. I had previously also chosen to make a master disk (i.e., closed and not able to be modified or added to) as opposed to the option of making an open "flash drive disk (which could apparently be added to or have files deleted from).

Ultimately, I clicked on the "Create Media" button on the Microsoft "Create installation media for Windows 8.1" Internet website (i.e.,

Choosing that option immediately downloaded a file into my download folder called "Mediadownloadtool". Clicking on "Mediadownloadtool" brought up a screen that gave me two option to either "Run" or "Cancel" running that file. I chose "Run" and was immediately presented with the following message and option :

"User Account Control

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?

Program Name: Microsoft Windows

Verified Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

File origin: Hard drive on this computer

YES     NO"

Well, I certainly don't want to make changes to my computer (running Windows 7). All I want to do is to copy certain "Windows 8.1 installation drive" file (or files) to either a DVD or to a USB drive...and then take this DVD /USB drive over to my friends house and try to run the program at bootup.

So now, I am in a quandary. I cannot get back to the original screen that gave me the option to burn the DVD using Windows Explorer or Microsoft's DVD burner program, etc. I seem to be stuck in 1) the "using Windows Explorer" option and 2) apparently stuck with running the resulting program and modifying MY computer hard drive.

How do I get back to the screen(s) that 1st gave me the option of using either DVDs or a USB drive and also the options of using Microsoft DVD burner program to accomplish the coping?

HELP! (grin)

Thanks again for all the prior information. I can see light at the end of the tunnel IF I can create the DVD/USB drive that can be run at bootup.

Mike

P.S>  Please see attached PDF file which is a pcture of the origianl error message screen that started this whole fiasco. (grin)

[ Edited ]

I inserted a blank DVD into my computer..

You can download the mediacreationtool.exe file to any place on your hard drive. But when you execute it, I think you need to choose USB Flash Drive for it to be usable on that UEFI computer with a GPT drive. It will install several things on that flash drive..

Create installation media for Windows 8.1.jpg

See Option 1 here.

"User Account Control  ...   Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?

That's normal when you have User Account Control enabled. The warning comes because Windows doesn't know what the program will do. In this case, it's from Microsoft. So you know it's okay.

How do I get back to the screen(s) that 1st gave me the option of using either DVDs or a USB drive

It's not clear to me what's going on. If you're confused, just remove whatever you've done so far and start over.

-Jerry
Channel 9

Jerry, thanks again for all your help, time and patience with this struggling neophyte.  It is very very much appreciated.

Per your last post, you are indeed correct...and, following your excellent insturctions,  I did start the process of running the mediacreationtool.exe file...and it opened into the  "What Type of Installation File do You want to Create?" screen.

On that fist screen (i.e., "What Type of Installation File do You want to Create?"), for the language drop down menu, I chose "English".

I have two brief questions regarding the two remaining drop down menu items options presented on the first screen. 

Both questions are dependent on which version of Windows 8.1 is the FACTORY INSTALLED (I.E., out of the box?) VERSION on my friends computer (i.e., his computer information is:   Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5206, Windows 8.1, PART # PSCN4U-00V005, SERIAL # 7E144326P ).

The two questions:

1.  On the 2nd drop down menu on this screen, I have a choice between:

Windows 8.1,

Windows 8.1 N,

Windows 8.1 Pro,

Windows 8.1 Pro N and

Windows 8.1 Single Language

(Which should I choose?  Which option(s) does his computer have available on his hard drive's hidden partition?)

2.  On the third drop down menu on this screen, I have to chose between:

32-bit (x86)

64-bit (x64)

(Which should I choose?  Which option(s) does his computer have available on his hard drive's hidden partition?)

I'm assuming that once I choose both the version of Windows 8.1 and the 32-bir or 64-bit version, I will then be taken to the screen you are depicting (i.e., "Choose where to Install the instalation file")...where I then choose whether or not to put the installation files on USB flash drive or create an ISO file (and then later burn it to a DVD.

So, with your patience and help, it looks like I'm shortly going to be in the home stretch and able to create the necessary installation disk that will allow my friend to gain access to his hard drive's hidden partition.  (YAY!)

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

P.S.  A few anticipatory questions I just thought of.  (sorry)

1.  Do I have to do anything (i.e., a possible BIOS setting?) to have his computer first check the DVD player (or USB port) at boot-up?  Or, will this intallation disk automatically first check those options before going directly into a hard drive boot-up sequence?

2.  In my research, I have been reading that this installation disk process will eventually be asking for the Product Key # for the version of Windows 8.1 being installed/repaired, etc.  Is there such a thing as a Product Key # with this Toshiba Sattellite laptop computer?  Or, will the version of Windows being installed recognize that my friend's factory installed version is legitimate...and then proceed with the instalation/repair process?

3.  Must the installation file be the only thing on the USB flash drive (or be written to a balnk DVD)?  I have a number of USB flash drives that have way more than 4 GB avaialble...BUT WHICH HAVE MANY FILES ALREADY WRITTEN ON SUCH FLASH DRIVES).  If installed on such a (paritally used) USB flash drive, will the installation file be automatically found and run?  Or must I have the instalation file on a blank USB flash drive..regardless of its size having 4 GB or greater available space?

4.  Exactly what will running this installation file from a USB flash drive/DVD being accomplishing?  Will it just get me into the hard drive's hidden partition...where I then make required repair/restore choices?  Or, will the installation file override Toshib's hidden partition options..and automaticlaly install a factory default version of Windows 8.1 to the hidden partition of the hard drive?  Or will it install a version of Windows 8.1 to the open partition of the hard drive?

5.  Finally, after this is all over and, assuming that the hard drive has been restored to factory default settings, will I be then able to make him a set of DVD installation discs (takes 5 DVDs total?) that hw eill then be able to use if replacing the hard drive later on?

Thanks again for all the help.  It is very very much appreciated and your patience is truly remarkable.

Choose 64-bit Windows 8.1. Be sure to create a USB flash drive. It will probably replace all the existing files on that drive. There will never be a disc involved. We expect to boot the sick machine from that drive.

Remember that we are not going to install Windows. We just need the installation screen in order to access the recovery environment. Please consult my first message to you.

Let's take this a step at a time. Let us know when the thumb drive has been created.

I know how to do this on my computers. But I'm not sure I can walk you through every tiny step, since I don't have a Toshiba machine here. Maybe somebody else can help.

-Jerry
Channel 9

Thanks, Jerry.

I have many small capacity USB flash drives.  I'll take an 8 GB and transfer all my files on it temporarily over to my hard drive and then use it to D/L the installation file.

Crossing my fingers...

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike