simpsopl
Accepted Solution

unable to turn on wireless communication switch

have a 6 week old Satellite M645-S4114 that suddenly became unable to connect to wireless internet yesterday while out of town. It's definitely not the network itself as I have been unable to connect on multi0ple wireless networks with the Toshiba laptop while there are no problems connecting with my 7 year old emachine. Fn+F8 just gives me the message: "Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on the wireless communication switch". Scoured the boards trying to find a solution that actually works. Have uninstalled & reinstalled the TVAP; device manager says all devices are working properly. I'm at a loss now. Any suggestions would be most appreciated,

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: unable to turn on wireless communication switch

Satellite M645-S4114 

device manager says all devices are working properly

Sometimes it helps to reinstall the driver anyway.

Intel Wireless LAN Driver

-Jerry
simpsopl

Thanks for the response Jerry. Unfortunately reinstalling the wireless LAN driver didn't work either.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Can you access the internet with an Ethenet cable?

-Jerry
simpsopl

will give that a try in the morning as soon as I find where I hid the old ethernet cable

simpsopl

Connected to internet via ethernet cable w/no problem. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

"Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on the wireless communication switch".

Maybe you have another button like the A models do?

Satellite A665- "Wireless Communication is Disabled. Please Turn On the Wireless Communication Switc...

-Jerry
simpsopl

You guessed correctly Jerry. Apparently what we thought was just another indicator light is indeed the wireless on/off switch.  I am now back to having wireless internet on the new toshiba Satellite. Thanks for all your help! Best regards . . . . PAM

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Glad you're back in business, Pam. Thanks for reporting back what happened.

-Jerry
mdf
mdf

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Glad you're back in business, Pam. Thanks for reporting back what happened.

Jerry - This is an old post, but I wonder if you have any other ideas?  I'm trolling all discussion threads for help on this.  The button you mentioned on my A665 doesn't do the trick.  I press it and it comes on for a few seconds and then goes off again.  I've reloaded every driver I can get my hands on.  I backed off the most recent Windows updates.  I updated the BIOS.  Nothing has helped.  Any ideas?

Occasional Contributor
pinoyswap
oscar14744

unable to turn on wireless communication switch

Ok so recently my laptop was repaired, After I got my laptop back the fn menu stopped coming up and evertime I push fn f8 to turn on the wireless nothing happens. I can put the laptop to sleep and dim and brighten the screen with the fn button without a problem. Someone please help me!

Is there any way to turn on the wireless capability without using the fn key?

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976.

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor
pinoyswap

oscar,

The Fn+F8 is the only wireless switch on this model.

Try restarting the Flashcards, Start>All Programs>Toshiba>Utilities>Restart Flashcards.

If you dont have this folder, the image is probably not the Toshiba image.

Download and install Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows Vista/7 from the support site:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=243938...

sina

Hi, I have a problem with the wireless LAN. I'm using Satellite L505-S5990. The wireless adaptor doesn't show in Network connection. and don't have Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC in Device Manager. Please help...Thanks in advance

Occasional Contributor
SLM124

[ Edited ]

I am using a upgraded Toshiba Satellite M105-S3064 with Windows XP Professional using Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU and 128GB SSD with 4GB of 667Mhz RAM and LED Screen upgrade kit.

Unable to turn on wireless communication switch, no light. Fn + F8 does not work - after installing Intel 5100 Wireless Card. Its recognized in Device Manager as success after installing drivers.

If I reinstall Intel 3945 Wireless Card everything works well. If I can upgrade to Intel wireless 4965 I have ABGN network card, or wireless 5100 AGN network card. Intel wireless 3945 is only ABG Network card.

Occasional Contributor
SLM124

This is what I found that Intel wrote:

"Installing or upgrading the various Intel wireless adapters by end users is not supported by Intel. Contact the manufacturer, vendor, or the source where you obtained your computer regarding availability and support for upgrades of the various Intel® wireless adapters."

The fact is, I was told, some equipment manufacturers (OEM)s limit the computer to only specific wireless adapters, a white list is created, causing an installation error when booting with a different wireless adapter than previously installed in the computer - A warning about removing what was installed. Another example: Can not turn on, light does not go on or go off, Fn + F8 does not work, where the only solution is to flash the BIOS to allow the new Wireless Adapter to work right.

My Intel wireless 5100 is safe to use, It has a FCC number on it and certfied to be safe, yet the BIOS tells the Intel wireless card to not come on, Where can I get service to adjust my computer to the new card ?

gogo315

Try this... I called Tech Support and this worked.

Start Button

Computer

C Drive

Program Files

Toshiba

TBS

TBS wireless ON

voila!