RedHenry

"Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Hey Guys,

I'm running on a Satellite: A215-S5837 and I haven't been having any problems with my network recently until yesterday when my computer started showing the error " 'Wireless Network Connection' doesn't have a valid IP configuration" after it failed the troubleshooting process. None of the other computers on my network are having any problems. I've tried updating the WLAN Drivers, I've tried restoring the computer to the earliest restore point (which was two days ago because I did a lot of activity yesterday that created restore points), and I even tried running CHKDSK... obviously this is all after I tried restarting the modem and router three times...

Some additional information that might help are that I'm running Windows 7 Professional which I updated to from Windows Vista about two months ago and I recently reconfigured my network about three weeks ago. I haven't had any problems with my network connection since either of these until yesterday. Basically, my network is saying "unidentified network" then "no network access" or "limited network access" and won't connect to the internet on anything. Right now, I'm on the laptop, but only because I'm plugged in via ethernet cable to the router at a desk which is very inconvenient -.-

Can anybody help me?

Here's what Windows Diagnostic is saying:

Free Image Hosting by FreeImageHosting.net
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: "Wireless Network Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Satellite A215-S5837

32-bit Windows 7?

What happens when you remove encryption from the router?

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand Network adapters, and double-click the Atheros wireless device. What is there for Device status?

-Jerry
RedHenry

Yeah, it's 32-bit. Removing the encyrption doesn't do anything and the Atheros network adaptor says it's working properly.

I'm finding that several people are having similar issues with Windows 7 and older D-Link routers (which is what I have). Apparently, some people have solved the problem by going into Services and finding  "Bonjour DNS Responder Service" and stopping it. I tried stopping it and restarting my computer and still nothing. So I uninstalled Bonjour altogether and still nothing... Then I tried restarting a few services that have to do with WLAN and I'm still having the same problem... 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Won't hurt to try this driver.

Wireless Lan Driver for Windows 7, 8.0.0.258.0, 10/01/10
   atheros-wlan-win7-8002580.zip

If that doesn't work, try this one again.

Atheros Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

-Jerry
RedHenry

Still nothing... Something strange that did come up is that it brought up an error saying "Windows cannot connect to the hidden network '[network name]' ." The router is set to broadcast the SSID so that seems a little weird to me... I tried setting it to hidden and connecting and still nothing, so now it's back to broadcasting it. I really don't think it's a driver problem because my drivers appear to be working fine.

I'm going to try reinstalling iTunes and trying to see if Bonjour left something behind that is causing this to keep going. I guess it could also be another program causing it. And by the way, I looked at my windows firewall and antivirus firewall and didn't see anything weird and I have tried closing them both off and connecting...

RedHenry

Problem solved! Writing that last post, I realized that I hadn't actually tried disabling the Windows Firewall, just my antivirus. Turns out, after I disabled it, it works fine! Even after I reenabled it! Genius! Lol

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Disabling and then enabling the Windows firewall fixed things? Sheesh. Should we put that on the list?

-Jerry
RedHenry

I know, right! Seems a little weird... something tells me it could happen again, but the same fix should still work.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Please let us know if that happens again. And especially if the same black magic works.

-Jerry