samborsu

network problems

I have a Tashiba Satellite A135-S4527. The wifi connection is Atheros AR5006EG. Everything worked fine up to a few days ago.

I cannot connect to the Internet anymore. There is a red X above the connection icon. When I check, it says that it's working. I tried everything. I have Hughesnet connection with a D-Link router. My other laptop is connecting with wifi, my desktop with ethernet cable. Only the Toshiba is not connecting.When I connect ethernet cable to Toshiba, it's not working either. It says cable missing.

BUT, I can connect wifi in safe mode with networking. When I restart in normal mode, no connection.... What do I need to do? Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: network problems

[ Edited ]

Satellite A135-S4527 Specifications

Satellite A135-S4527 Downloads

samborsu wrote:...When I check, it says that it's working. I tried everything....

Where exactly did you check that it say's it's working? In Device Manager on both the LAN and WiFi adapters, or where?

What specifically have you tried? Saying 'Itried everything' is not very descriptive. We need to know exactly what you've tried, so we're not asking you to try the same things again, wasting your time and our time.

Mike

samborsu

Thanks,

It used to work last week, then I could not connect anymore. I did a restore system and it worked a few days, then the same thing. I went into the Bios, and did a factory restore. I unplugged the router and internet connection, and re plugged them. I clicked the Fn and F8 on the keyboard, but nothing happened. I went back with the older driver of the atheros, reinstalled the new one.

Yesterday, I started in safe mode and it worked. But, when I started in normal mode it did not work. After I wrote my question on this board, I re restored my system and it worked, but this morning, when I turned the PC on, again no connection. The PC has never moved and is always at about 4 ft from the router and Hughesnet receiver.

Thanks for a prompt answer

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Given your description, let's try this first.

Unplug your ethernet cable connection, and use the Fn+F8 key combination to disable your wireless connection. Do another System Restore to a restore point when the system was working properly. But, still leave your Internet connections disabled.

Click on the 'Start' button, click 'All Programs', click 'Windows Update', on the menu on the left side click 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu arrow, select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', click 'OK'.

Now, test your ethernet cable Internet connection first. If it works, use the Fn+F8 key combination to re-enable your wireless connection. If they work, test them for as long as you feel necessary, leaving Windows Update disabled.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

samborsu

Thanks,

I did what you told me, but it is not working

1) the keys Fn + F8 do not do anything. (I read that there was something we could download to make it work, I did it, but cannot install the program)

2) instead of Fn + F8, I turned of wireless with the switch on the laptop.

3)I resored to a previous date, and turned off the automatic windows update. The laptop recognized the realtek ethernet connection, the the wifi. When I turned down the system and back up again, I had no wifi or ethernet again.

I did step 3 again, and could connect, but when rebooted, it is not working

Super Advisor
miker643

Take your laptop to a couple of other locations. Like a local coffee shop or a public library that has free WiFi, test your WiFi connection at those places, does it work? Is it a stable connection?

Also, you need to test your ethernet cable Internet connection somewhere else, like at work or at school.

We need to know if these connection problems are just happening at home, or everywhere.

As well, look on the bottom and sides of your D-Link router. What is its exact model number? Also, click on the 'Start' button, type in   dev   , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters', what make is your WiFi card? Is it an Intel card or an Atheros card?

Mike

samborsu

Hello, the card is an Atheros card.

I think I found the problem. Each time I started the PC there was an update from Avast antivirus. (all other updates were deactivated).

I uninstalled Avast and installed AVG . I turned the PC on and off a few times. and it seems to be working....I will do it again a few more times, and if it is still working good, I will reinstall the microsoft updates and see how it goes.

Michele

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Good for you! Because the System Restore was working at first, something must have been changing after you restored. That's why I wanted you to disable Windows Updates.

But, even if your Internet is now working, I would advise you to leave Windows Updates set to 'Never check for updates'. Only manually check for updates. The Windows Updates come out the 2nd Tuesday of every month. So, if you wait until after the 3rd Tuesday of each month, and manually check for updates, Microsoft will have fixed any problems with the updates that came out the week before. Check over all the Important and Optional updates carefully. Never let Windows update change any of your hardware drivers.

Good luck.

Mike

samborsu

Thanks.

I re-installed all the windows updates and it is still working. I wull now update one by one so I can uninstall if it is  not working after 1 update

Super Advisor
miker643

No worries, you're welcome.

You just need to look at the available updates very carefully. If you see a hardware driver, remove the install check mark, right click on the driver, left click on 'Hide update', then Windows Update will never give this driver again.

Good luck.

Mike