raj119

built-in WIFI adapter won't turn on

My wife has an A355D-S6889 laptop w/Vista home 64bit and the wifi just stopped working about a month ago.  I bought her the laptop in November of last year and the wireless was working fine until recently.  The adapter shows up in device manager (atheros) as working properly, no ? or ! in front of the adapter.  The wireless connection icon is present in the network connections folder of Vista.  The wired connection works fine, which is what she is using right now but obviously she would like the convenience of the wireless option. 

The on/off wireless switch on the laptop does nothing and neither does Fn/F8.  The wireless icon never lights up and no animation pops up when the switch or F8 is used.  I'm currently deployed so I'm trying to troubleshoot this remotely.  I've had her uninstall the adapter and let windows reload it and we've updated the drivers with no results.  The system just acts like the adapter is not on, which I'm sure it isn't.  I just can't figure out how to get it back on.  Sorry for the long post but this one has stumped me.  Any thoughts? 

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

Re: built-in WIFI adapter won't turn on

Alright, so do you mean when she turns the wifi switch on, the light does not come on?

Have her try to load the BIOS defaults and see if that fixes it.

raj119

Yes, the light never comes on when the switch is on and Fn/F8 does nothing either.  Is there a setting in BIOS to enable/disable the wireless adapter and is that something that could randomly change?  I know she's never been in the BIOS of this laptop.

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

Sometimes when a device is not working properly you have to refresh the BIOS to get it working again. She doesnt need to specifically turn something on. Just have her tap F9 when she is there and F10 to save and exit.

raj119

Well, BIOS refresh did not improve the situation.  She also used system restore to go back to a point when the wifi was working and that did not help either.  Any other thoughts or is the adapter most likely shot?

dkostelecky

try checking your TCP settings for the device.

are you scamming a neighbours wireless? if so they may have enabled MAC filtering and that would also prevent you from accessing the wireless.

if your TCP are set to DHCP, disable your wired connection and try to connect to a wireless connection. if successful, ping a website, and do a trace route to check and see if there is anything blocking you.

raj119

First, I am not "scamming" a neighbors wireless signal.  Second, if you had read the earlier posts you would have seen that I am not having trouble connecting to existing wireless networks.  The problem is that there are no networks available to connect to because the wireless adapter in the laptop will not turn on. 

Frequent Advisor
lilmaqi

I couldnt say yet if the wifi card is shot. The ultimate test is to restore the hard rive to factory settings. If it still doesnt work after that then definitely its a hardware issue.