dwemp

Wireless slow L655-S5150

Bought a Satellite from Best Buy.   Wireless has been slow from the start.   Did have an issue with DSL at first, which I thought was the problem, but that is fixed.   Now it's too late to take back.   Upload speed is faster than download.   I have a 3M connection and can only get 512k at most.   Gateway 3 feet away gets 2.5M download.    Wireless NIC is Realtek RTC 8188 CE which I updated the driver to 1005.15.223.2011.  Tx power is set to 100%.    Anyone have any ideas?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Wireless slow L655-S5150

[ Edited ]

Satellite L655-S5150

There have been problems reported with the RTL-8188-CE Toshiba supplied driver, specifically with regard to an unstable connection while running on battery power. The fix appeared to be loading the latest Realtek supplied driver, which you have done.

Realtek Wireless b/g/n Driver Downloads

What specific make and model of wireless router are you trying to use? Have you installed the latest firmware for your router? If you are trying to use 802.11n to connect with your router, take a look at this article:

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

By all means let's try to resolve your wireless problem. And, I know it's not really my business, but if your 'gateway' is only 3 feet away, why would you not just use an ethernet cable to plug directly into your router? Any ethernet connection's download/upload speed, should surpass any wireless connection's speed.

Mike

dwemp

Mike,

Thanks for responding.   When I said gateway, I meant gateway laptop, not gateway as in router.   I'm using a Westell DSL modem/switch/router which is updated to the latest firmware it cannot do 802.11n.  

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I have to assume you've tried to ensure you have the same configuration on both your Gateway and Toshiba WiFi NICs. As well, I know a couple of regular users who will probably contradict me with regard to dropping the Realtek driver, but if it's not working well for you, let's try another Toshiba driver.

This is the latest Realtek driver from Toshiba Europe, give this a try and see if there is any improvement. First, go into Device Manager, click on 'Start' and type in   devmgmt.msc   and click on this file. Click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters', right click on the 'Realtek WiFi' adapter, click on 'Uninstall', and put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device' and then click 'OK' to confirm uninstall. Then try to install this driver, this is a zip file so you'll have to extract the .exe file to install it.

Realtek Wireless LAN Adapter 8188CE/8192CE Win7-32/64 v1005.8.1101.2010

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

dwemp

Haven't had time to change the driver yet.   I did borrow a USB wireless NIC from work and connected it to the laptop.   I was able to get 3M download with it.   So something is definitely wrong with the built it NIC.

Super Advisor
miker643

Let us know when you have time to download and try the driver. Give the Toshiba one a try first. But, if it doesn't work well, is unstable, bad connection speed, etc, there was a new version of the Realtek supplied RTL8188CE driver released on 04/26/2011, we could also give that a try.

Mike

dwemp

3rd driver was the charm.   Updated to the new Realtek driver and its working much better now.  thanks

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.