Flashphan

Wireless Not working

I have a Toshiba E105 S1402 laptop, Windows Vista OS, where the wireless has quit working, in that it does not recognize/find available wireless networks.  Not specific to a router as it quit working while on a recent vacation trip and would not work in hotels or vacation home.  However it will work when connected directly to a router with an Ethernet cable. 
Actions Taken
*Device Manager indicates the wireless network adapter is up to date and working.
*Reloaded the adapter.
*Turned off the” wireless switch”, powered the PC down, powered it up and then turned on the switch again – “No Networks Found”  - The switch indicator lights up as it always has
*No new programs or software installed in the last several months

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Wireless Not working

Satellite E105-S1402 (PSE10U-002003) 

Device Manager indicates the wireless network adapter is up to date and working.

Sure doesn't seem like it. This is the card.

Network Adapter W-LAN 802.11A/G/N (Part Number V000123020)

One way to find out is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

I have had the same issue before. Wireless light is on but nothing shows on available networks.

Device manager looks ok. 

What resolved the issue is to power cycle it.

Shut down the computer, 

Unplug charger then remove battery.

Press and hold down power button for at least 10 seconds to drain residual power.

Replace the battery then plug in the charger and restart the computer.

Hope that helps.

Flashphan

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried to power down and recycle but it did not seem to do the trick but I'll keep that in mind in the future as a possible troubleshooting step. 

So last evening, I picked a restore point from about 6 weeks ago when my wife knew the wireless was working and tried that.  I was able to recognize wireless networks and logon to our network.  Other than Windows and A/V updates, nothing had changed over that period.  I have since re-installed these updates with no adverse effects.

Flashphan

Jerry:  A windows restore to six weeks ago brought the wireless back up - so no need for drastic action of a new card or restoring the hard disk.  This is my wife's laptop and if there was a "lemon law" - it would have gone back.  She has had 2 hard drives go bad and replaced under warranty in the 2 years she has had this so having a wireless card go bad seemed unbelievable.  Not sure why this worked but for my sake it was a lot less painless than doing a full backup and restore of all her programs.  Thank you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I picked a restore point from about 6 weeks ago ... was able to recognize wireless networks and logon to our network. 

Good for you. For those who don't know what you're talking about...

What is System Restore?

-Jerry