Robert7408
Accepted Solution

Wireless Network will not Connect at Home - But will At Work and with a Cable - Please Help

I have a new Toshiba Laptop that will connect at work and Starbucks to their network. I also can connect to my home network with a cat5 cable. I can not successfully connect to the home network via wireless. I am running Windows 7 OS. I have tried the following:

With and without Firewall.
Network does not require MAC address confirmation.
Can connect with a Windows XP machine to wireless network at home fine.
I have tried with and without Anti-Virus (AVG)
Can ping Yahoo but can not view Yahoo.com
Can ping 192.168.0.1
Can search Google but when I press the search result link I cannot go to the website.

Peter

Re: Wireless Network will not Connect at Home - But will At Work and with a Cable - Please Help

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop.

You can search with Google over the wireless but not load any of the actual result links?

If you click back to go to Google once more, does it still work?

- Peter
Robert7408

Re: Wireless Network will not Connect at Home - But will At Work and with a Cable - Please Help

Sorry, I believe this is the model number: Satellite P775-S7232

No none of the links work from Google, but yes I can search from Google and get results to the search.

I can not click back to Google because I never leave it.

I am thinking about trying another router.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P775-S7232 

will connect at work and Starbucks to their network.

That implies some setting at your router, Robert.

I can search from Google and get results to the search.

On wireless at home? Try resetting the browser.

Reset Internet Explorer settings

-Jerry
Robert7408

It turns out that the Comcast Netgear Router / Modem CG814v1 has a known bug when working with Windows 7 with WPA. Changed to no security on the router and it worked like a charm. Changed security to WEP and was able to get it to work.

URL for the solution: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26022-43-problem-netgear-cg814wg-cable-internet

Hope this helps someone else with this issue.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It turns out that the Comcast Netgear Router / Modem CG814v1 has a known bug when working with Windows 7 with WPA.

Who would guess that, Robert?!

Thanks for reporting back what happened.

-Jerry