tacevac

Wireless Network Device Disabled

I have a brand new X500 series notebook and when I first turned it on, it identified all the local wireless networks.  Now it won't "see" any networks and only will let me log on using the actual ethernet cable.  When I use the Toshiba "radar", it tells me the wireless network device is disabled and that I need to turn it on but it won't tell me how to do that.  I've searched everywhere I can think of but I can't identify what I am supposed to do.  I have made sure the wireless device button is turned on on the front panel.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Dave

Occasional Advisor
doofus

Re: Wireless Network Device Disabled

config free auto switch is on, when you are connected thru ethernet is disables wirelesss try unplug ethernet and connect wireless, make sure to toggle FN+F8 for wireless.

tacevac

That didn't work, whatever the actual wireless device in the computer cannot even recognize that there are wireless connections available.  I keep getting the response that the device is turned off.  When I click on FN/F8, the only options that come up are Bluetooth (I don't have any blue tooth devices) and the cancel button.  F8 indicates the wireless is "On", however but the computer is not able to "see" the other networks.  The only connection option I have available is via ethernet cable.  I don't get an option for wireless connection so I can try to configure it.

When I use configfree and click on the WPS Setup, the setup item opens and says to click on it to start the setup but it won't let me actually ckick on it.

Occasional Advisor
doofus

have tried scanning for local wifi ? if still same problem coulbe be the wireless card contact toshiba support for repairs.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which X500?

-Jerry
tacevac

It's the Qosmio X505-Q830.  I have tried to scan for local wireless networks and that's the problem, it won't "see" any networks.  When I first turned it on, it identified about five local wireless networks,  including mine.  When I tried to connect, however, I had password issues which I've had every time I connected a new computer to the network.  I'm currently stationed in Germany and I connected to the network via the ethernet card which worked previously by allowing the computer to then become identified with the network.  When I tried it with this computer, however, the ethernet connection works fine but now the wireless aspect seems to no longer work.  The computer no longer identifies that there are any wireless networks present and I don't even have the option to tell the computer to scan for them.  It seems like the wireless card has been disabled and I don't know how to reenable it.  If the card has become damaged, I don't even know how to troubleshoot to find out.  I can't find any thing that will even tell me where to look.  I just get that unhelpfull error message telling the I need to turn on the wireless device but I'm not provided with a link or button to take me to where I can accomplish it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Qosmio X505-Q830

Try reinstalling the driver. There are two listed for your model. Never mind that they are the same version number. Try them both if necessary.

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64) (Version 2.00.0006 - Released 10/23/09)

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for windows 7 (32/64) (Version 2.00.0006 - Released 10/01/09)

-Jerry
tacevac

Thanks, I'll try that when I return from my deployment in a few weeks.

weezy2736

I'm having the same problem with a Satellite U500-ST5305 on Windows 7. I made sure the WiFi switch was on, checked Fn-F8 (which didn't have a WiFi option, only Bluetooth and Cancel), and tried reinstalling the drivers to no avail. I also tried to do a system restore, but I got a message that said that System Restore couldn't access a protected file, check your virus scanner. Even when I turned that off, still no dice on the system restore. Also, with the 'Radar' Utility, I get the 'enable WiFi card' message.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite U500-ST5305 

Fn-F8 .. didn't have a WiFi option, only Bluetooth and Cancel

Certainly not available.

What happens when you try to reinstall the driver?

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

-Jerry
lutijo

[ Edited ]

Hello there, I am having the same exact issue with my Wireless network.   Just like the other person stated, my wireless network device has been disabled and when I go to the device manager, there is no "Realtek Wireless device" under the network adapter tab.  My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5962 running on Windows 7.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

rylan

Having the same problem on my Toshiba U500.  When I download the drivers you've suggested, the driver isn't able to install (it cuts out just before the setup stage)?  The window appears for a split second in the lower menu bar and then disappears every time it gets to the setup stage.  thanks for all your time and help

Shotgunbill

I'm having the -exact- same problem as the OP.

I can only connect through ethernet cord and configfree tells me that  "The wireless network is disabled. Please turn on the device" even though it is on. Furthermore, it tells me in the bottom right corner of the screen that the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" is disconnected. I've already tried enabling, disabling and re-installing the Family controller, but its no use. Oh, yes, Wireless is on thanks to F8-FN and the switch is glowing orange on the front.

My computer is a brand new Toshiba Satellite A500-02J

Please make my computer work again, internets. :smileysad:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Work your way through the possibilities in this thread.

BIOS 2.50 erased my Wifi - Satellite L25-S119

-Jerry
rylan

I attempted the HWSetup avenue, battery-out + F2 and F9 restart, and my wifi switch on the front of my toshiba u500 is turned on (and the light is on). 

When I go to the device manager, the only network adapter showing is "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" (and no WiFi adapter). 

I have installed Realtek WLAN Driver and it shows up as a program that can be removed in my control panel.  However, when I installed it, it came up with a message mid-installation that says: "Atheros 802.11a/b/g/ Wireless Adapter - The Device may not be present or could have been ejected/unplugged from the system. Insert or Reinsert Now."

When I go to Network Connections I only see one adapter (LAN).

My wireless was working for about a week after I bought the laptop but seemed to go down after I installed a new wireless network at my work (more specifically, it went down upon reboot after getting home from work).  I've since uninstalled the software that came with the n-gig wireless router but my computer still won't recognize the existence of a wireless adapter device/driver?

Is it possible that the wireless hardware could have ejected/become unplugged?  This seems highly unlikely but perhaps I need to open the computer up and have a look??

I feel like I'm running out of options and non of the threads I've poured over have offered any new ideas...anything you can think of is - obviously - very appreciated.

Many thanks for your charitable time,

-Rylan.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Rylan, it does appear the wireless card is malfunctioning. A trip to the shop to try a new card may be the easiest way to test it.

-Jerry
michaelscarn007

I just registered on these boards to report that the F2 - F9 fix worked for me.  I know it hasn't worked for some, but to everyone else experiencing this problem, there is hope!

I have a Satellite L505-GS6000 that suddenly stopped receiving wireless signals.  The device manager said the driver wasn't working properly, so Windows 7 downloaded the "latest" driver for me (Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller).  Suddenly I didn't have a wireless adapter AT ALL, just the Family Controller.  I went to the Toshiba site to download the right driver myself, but after installation the wireless adapter still didn't show up in the device manager.  I tried uninstalling the Family Controller and then installing the new wireless driver - that didn't work either.

Finally I called tech support, thinking I would have to send the notebook in for repairs.  Turns out, all that had to be done was open the "Insyde Setup Utility" by hitting F2 when the system first starts.  Then hit F9 to return the system to setup default (F10 to save) and voila!  Next time the device manage boots, I've got all the original drivers in there and my wireless internet is already connected!  

Just make sure to go to the Toshiba site to download the latest driver - don't rely on 7 to do it for you.  Thanks tech support. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for reporting that.

Had you tried to reset previously by closing the power-on switch while the battery and AC adapter were disconnected?

-Jerry
michaelscarn007

No Jerry, I haven't tried that type of reset.  Is that supposed to do the same thing?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know. Some folks do one, some the other. Sometimes whatever they do works and sometimes it doesn't. Many mysteries.

-Jerry