savan411

Wireless Internet keeps disconnecting

For some reason my wireless internet keeps disconnecting after a few minutes. It disconnects and then automatically reconnects. My router is very close by (within 5 feet) and it is an Belkin N1 wireless router.  It stays connected for about 3-4 min. and then disconnects and automatically reconnects. The router does not have any problems because it shows that it is connected and I can access the internet on my desktop and my dad's laptop without any problems. I have an Intel WiFi 5100 AGN built in wireless network adapter and my computer is the Toshiba L505-S5971. I looked at the wireless adapter in the device manager and tried updating the driver but it said that I have the latest version of the driver. The signal strength shows as excellent when it is connected. On my dad's laptop the wireless internet connection is strong and never disconnects so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with this specific computer (L505-S5971). The driver version for my wireless adapter is 12.2.0.11. There is another device under the Network adapters category in the device manager called "Realtek RTL8102/8103 Family PCI-E FE NIC". I tried updating the driver for this but it also said that the driver was up to date.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Wireless Internet keeps disconnecting

Satellite L505-S5971 

What happens when connect to the router with an Ethernet cable?

The router does not have any problems because it shows that it is connected and I can access the internet on my desktop and my dad's laptop without any problems.

Do they use Windows Vista?

If not, check out the router.

Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool

-Jerry
mish_mm

I am having the same problem.  It is the intel 5100 agn wifi card.  If you search the Internet you will find a lot of people with this problem.  I have updated the firmware on my router linksys befw11s4, updated the driver for the intel card (used intel's site as the Toshiba drivers sucked).  Also I have tuned in the intel card as tightly as I can to only use the b bandwidth of my router and the same channel setting as the router.  This is the second laptop as I returned the first one because I did all of this and couldn't get it to work so I thought it was a dud.  Turns out this is a bigger problem with the intel card.  I have not solved my problem yet.  Some people say it works if you turn off encryption on the router, but that didn't work for me on the first laptop and you can't very well operate without encryption long term.  It isn't Vista, I was running vista on my old latpop and had no troubles with my wireless.  Also this wireless card has been causing my router (which previously had no problems) to freeze, so that my ROKU can't get out either.

I'm tempted to get a different external card, but that pisses me off as that gets cumbersome and the wireless setup should be much simpler than this.

andnkuhn

i have the same issue. i will lose conection but it will continue to say that i am conneted correctly. Also when i update with windows updates and am downloading them, if i open a browser the internet will disconnect stoping all the downloads.

Kevin-Emmotech

cybernezz

I had the same issue guys - found the answer - read on.

I have a P300 - 20H, Wireless speed went really slow - down to the speed of old dial up. Then the wireless kept kicking off every five minutes.

Tried everything - changed my router with a spare - bought a BT Iplate for my line incase there was interference updated all drivers - on and on and on - still dial up speed.

Restored my wireless driver to an older one and also updated the chipset/bios (if I recall correctly) - jobs a good one - working fine now - c6mb on standard bt line wireless- 7mb wired.

If I recall correctly - the wireless on these is built into the chipset or something - updating that ultimately sorted it out.

I also have a Toshiba M9 Tecra laptop I use for work - started getting the same issue with that now... only a matter of time until the IT guys tell us to do the same??

good luck.

Neil

Occasional Contributor
MiThRaZoR

cybernezz wrote:

I had the same issue guys - found the answer - read on.

I have a P300 - 20H, Wireless speed went really slow - down to the speed of old dial up. Then the wireless kept kicking off every five minutes.

Tried everything - changed my router with a spare - bought a BT Iplate for my line incase there was interference updated all drivers - on and on and on - still dial up speed.

Restored my wireless driver to an older one and also updated the chipset/bios (if I recall correctly) - jobs a good one - working fine now - c6mb on standard bt line wireless- 7mb wired.

If I recall correctly - the wireless on these is built into the chipset or something - updating that ultimately sorted it out.

I also have a Toshiba M9 Tecra laptop I use for work - started getting the same issue with that now... only a matter of time until the IT guys tell us to do the same??

good luck.

Neil

I don't get what you did. I understand you downgraded your wireless card driver. But how do you update the chipset/bios? Where do I get the drivers for that?

I have a Satellite A305. Don't know the specific model. But that's what I have.

jsmedina25

I was having the same problem, also with the Intel 5100 AGN card. What worked for me was going into the routers settings and disabling the WPS function on the router. After that its worked fine.

Occasional Contributor
MiThRaZoR

What's the WPS function? The wireless security?

I tried that. It still doesn't work. Plus, that's won't really work because there are leechers out there.

Is there another work around?

jsmedina25

WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup. A lot of routers come with that funtion now. Well thats what worked for me... Waht type of security are you using on your router. WEP or WPA???

cybernezz

To update the BOIS firmware - goto the toshiba website - http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp#

from here choose your specific model and check to see if there is a download for your BIOS.

Again - I am sure I ended up updating mine as the wireless is possibly built onto the board - and the BIOS update affected the wireless too.

cybernezz

sorry meant to add - I played with removing all firewalls - my router firewall / my vista firewall / my AV firewall and so on - with no protection on at all - my speed was still restricted as was my connetion.

At the end of the day - this isnt fixing the issue -this is getting round the problem and potentially opening you up to other issues - when someone jumps onto your wireless connection.

Fix the problem - dont put a plaster on it :smileyhappy:

cybernezz

Something else you can do to improve it too - if you wirelessly connect to a number of networks - make sure the one you connect to most is top in your desired connections.

Goto your wireless network options, open the properties and in there you will see a list of networks you have connected to. In here you can move them up and down the list - order them in such a fashion that they are most often to least often connected to.

hope that makes sense......

Occasional Contributor
MiThRaZoR

[ Edited ]

cybernezz wrote:

sorry meant to add - I played with removing all firewalls - my router firewall / my vista firewall / my AV firewall and so on - with no protection on at all - my speed was still restricted as was my connetion.

At the end of the day - this isnt fixing the issue -this is getting round the problem and potentially opening you up to other issues - when someone jumps onto your wireless connection.

Fix the problem - dont put a plaster on it :smileyhappy:

Wait so did removing all the firewalls help or no?

And that's not really a good solution. That's just inviting viruses to come to my computer. =\

My router is secured with a WPA-PSK setting. I tried disabling it. Didn't work.

cybernezz

no definately didnt help and yes your just asking for trouble opening up firewalls...

I kept using http://www.speedtest.net to benchmark all improvements as my speed was slow too.

Theres alot of advice out there - once you have updated / restored firmware & drivers - there are alot of improvements that can be made:

• Plug your router into the first main BT socket
  • Remove anything that can interfear with the router (other electronic equip)
  • make sure there is no other wireless networks broadcasting on the same channel as yours
  • Increase the power output of the signal from your router - mine was a 2wire router with the power setting set to default 4. Signal around the house wasnt great - increased it to 10 - signal is solid as a rock now!
  • consider buying an iplate from Ebay - helps with interferance from other equip - added 1mb instantly to my line.
  • if your laptop only supports b wireless / not G / G+ / N or whatever - amend your router to broadcast to just that 
  • lastly - make sure you have telephone filters in every socket you are using - so your sky box - your telephone - your router - xbox/ps3 etc...

I dont know if this helps - its all the tips I found over various websites - hopefully in 1 place now...

rgs,

Neil

eddiet29

Get the update from the Intel website, I haven't had a problem since I got the updated drivers for the wireless card.

Cheers