FredW77

Wifi keeps dropping on laptop

Hi, I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, but I have a Toshiba Satellite C660 laptop and are using a BT Home hub modem.. and I just find that it keeps dropping the wifi. Really frustrating at times. Sometimes it drops it every few minutes, and the modem is still running ok, because another pc that is using wireless as well, but with an adapter, doesnt drop... So I wonder if this is an issue with the laptop, as I've read on some forums that there are some issues with some laptops.... does anyone know if there is a fix for this? Oh and I am using Windows7 if that helps. Thanks. Fred

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Wifi keeps dropping on laptop

[ Edited ]

Fred

We need to know what specific model of C660 that you have, like Satellite C660-1LD. Also, if your is not a USA model we need its part number, like PSC0QE-03M00CEN. There's a Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer, check that. As well, please confirm that you're running Windows 7 64bit, or?

Click on 'Start', type in  dev  , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters', and give us the exact name of your wireless/WiFi device.

Further, please give us the exact make and model name of your Internet modem/router. There should be a label on the side or bottom. If you know how, please login to the modem/router and also give us its current firmware version.

What happens if you take your C660 to another WiFi hotspot, like your local coffee shop or public library? Do get the same problem or is the connection stable?

Please get back to us with the above info.

Mike

FredW77

Hi Mike,

thanks for getting back. The model is: Satellite C660-220

part number: PSC0QE-05000CEN

Windows 7 64bit

modem is: Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

with the Hub it just says, BT Home Hub 2.0

Don't remember how I got into the hub settings before, so I have to pass on that, sorry.

As for going into wifi hot spots, I don't do that, but the desktop pc stays stable while the laptop keeps loosing connection.

Thanks, and if you need any more info please let me know.

Fred

By the way, just lost connection again while typing this..

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

SATELLITE C660-220 PSC0QE-05000CEN Specifications

SATELLITE C660-220 PSC0QE-05000CEN Downloads

...with the Hub it just says, BT Home Hub 2.0

Don't remember how I got into the hub settings before, so I have to pass on that, sorry....

Plug your notebook or your desktop into the BT Home Hub 2.0 router with an Ethernet cable to make the connection that way. But, essentially you just need to use your web browser, Internet Explorer or whatever, and type in this address and hit 'Enter':

http://bthomehub.home

Scroll down to the bottom of the homepage. The 'Software version' (firmware version) is shown in the bottom left of the screen. Give us this info.

As for going into wifi hot spots, I don't do that, but the desktop pc stays stable while the laptop keeps loosing connection...if you need any more info please let me know...

We need the information previously asked for. We need you to do this test. Whether or not you normally do so, take your notebook to your local coffee shop and/or public library that has free WiFi, and test your unit's connection in those places. Is it stable? We're trying to find out if this is a problem your notebook has with all WiFi connections, or only with your home connection.

In the meantime download this driver and install it. This is a zip file so you'll have to extract the .exe file to install it. See if this helps the stability of your connection at all.

Realtek Wireless LAN Adapter 8188CE/8192CE v.1005.19.0420.2011

Get back to us with all the above requested info. Good luck.

Mike

northstart

Had the same problem with intermittent internet.  Very frustrating. After searching the net found the following 2 actions that have eliminated the problem for me:

If you are running Windows 8 and your laptop keeps dropping the WiFi signal intermittently, try going to Control Panel>Device Manager>Network Adapters>Wireless LAN>Properties>Advanced>Bandwidth>the default is set to "20_40MHz" set it to "20MHz Only".

Also find the power management tab for the wireless LAN and make sure the ability to turn off power to this device is disabled. (known issue with Wi-Fi on some Win laptops is that the Wi-Fi card goes into power save mode, dropping the connection. This also can be "fixed" changing a setting in "Properties")