elliotty

Wifi hardware switch off

I have purchased the Satellite A665-6050 and i was using the wireless internet when i got a message saying that the hardware switch is off. I have tried to turn it back on using the button in the media controls and also have updated the drivers and tried to enable it in Intel Proset/Wireless Utility. All have failed and i cannot get on the wifi connection. im still getting a message say wifi hardware switch is off. how can i fix it? 

Thanks

drminnsx

Re: Wifi hardware switch off

Elliot,

It would make my day if I can resolve your problem. I spent almost 6 hours last night and this morning trying to trouble shoot this exact problem. I have the same Toshiba Satellite A665, which I purchased in June.

I tried everything you did and so much more. I won't go into all the gory details, but I finally fixed it with no help from Toshiba.

Finally gave up at 3:30 am this morning and about 20 minutes ago I resolved the problem. I spent over an hour troubleshooting the issue with Toshiba's tech support and we tried a laundry list of things too. Finally, the tech said I should back-up everything and do a full system recovery. I really didn't want to do that, so I continued to search the internet for hints and solutions.

Without further a due.....Here's how I resolved it (less than 5mins.) I shut the laptop down, unplugged it from the charge, removed the battery and finally repeated these simple three steps in the reverse order (battery, plug-in charge, turned laptop on). This time instead of getting that annoying pop-up that my "hardware radio switch is off" the little bars icon by the clock said network connections available. I right-clicked, selected my router, and connected.

Whaaaa Laaaa!

I hope this works for you. It was so frustrating and I'm so happy it finally fixed. Toshiba said if the system recovery didn't work I'd have to send it out for repair. Thank goodness I ignored that ridiculous suggestions.

GOOD LUCK!

hgrey

Whaaaa Laaaa is right.... I spent sooo many hours on rebuilding my network connectivity and then just turned the laptop (Satellite L305) off took out the battery .... yadda yadda ... and everything is working fine now.... THANK YOU!

hgrey

Never mind... the fix worked for 1 night and now I am back to connecting through my LAN.

Occasional Contributor
bxpeters

I was about to give you that same sad news but you saw it for yourself before I could warn you. So, here's something that the Forum & Toshiba hasn't recommended yet. This will either work flawlessly, or you will get the same error message that I got (for which I am waiting for Microsoft to provide a solution).

Goto http://support.microsoft.com/gp/hardware_device_problems/en-us

There you will find a group of MS Fix-It solution links. Make sure you click the "Windows" tab on the far left. Now, look on your right and see the Fiixt-it solutions. Select and download the one called "hardware devices not detected or not working".

Once you run the application, you will either get an error message (hopefully not), or, it will completely fix your prooblem. Please let me know the results.

elliotty

i tried doing that MS fix but it didnt do anything. i have now spent probrably a good 10 hours trying to fix the darn thing and i can sometimes get it back on but then i just shuts right off again and tells me the hardware switch is off again. By the way this is the second exact same laptop i have had and i keep getting the same problems. i might just return this one and get one from another company.

John777

Have the same labtop and it happened to me. it probably is happening to everyone who bought this thing. Tosbiha knows about the problem cause when i called they said Windows sometimes uninstalls the driver for the hardware switch which causes it to malfunction. I was told to go to downloads and reinstall the drivers for the wifi. it seemed to have worked. but i had to reinstall my op due to my error during upgrade so now its happening all over again.

WW
WW

[ Edited ]
Go to the folder on your c drive "Program files\Toshiba\TBS. Then scroll down the list of program files and double click on the file named TBSWireless.exe and hey presto, the wireless communication will turn on (Amber Light will come on on the front bottom right panel of the computer). From now on the FN-F8 Key combination will turn it on and off.
dlgarcia5

[ Edited ]

That was IT!  Oh my gosh... so many hours of trying to figure that out... I was just about to take it back.

Thank you!

:smileywink:

ChairmanMao

[ Edited ]

This problem finally hit me yesterday - I'm running a Qosmio x770, but it seems to be the same issue over and over.  F8 gives the option of "OFF" only, and the driver manager says all is well. The problem seems (to me) the intel Wifi Technology switch.  But intel says its not their problem. 

After many driver un/installs and a lot of frustration, I decided to load safe mode with network support.  Simple drivers load in and get the WLAN going.  And your functions won't, well, function.  But the wifi is now going.  Then reboot. The wifi gets going again - you can see it the light come on.  Now I have the F8 wifi switch operable again. 

I suppose if the wifi wasn't kicked into gear on this safe mode boot you could try and jump it through Windows. 

Worked on this machine.  Seems that everyone has a different work-around for the issue. 

But you can give it a go and try.  It's a frustrating problem.  Hopefully Intel, MS, and Toshiba can get on the same page one day and stop saying it's someone else's problem.  As an edit: I am not running intel's wifi tech anymore - it is completely disabled - not that I ever printed anything on the other side of the house anyway.  I have a sneaky suspicion that interferes with the F keys on the laptop.  Just a guess. 

Scott 

AnnJay

I'm using satellite L510 model no PSL-Q0L-00V00E for over a year and recently faced with this problem, FN+F8 does not respond! Luckily my WIFI is already on. My other laptop is L645 (not sure of the model no because it's in the office) also having this problem recently and I cannot turn on the WIFI. I've tried some of the solutions provided as follows with NO LUCK;

1) turning off, taking out battery & power

2) cannot find the file named TBSWireless.exe in Program files\Toshiba\TBS 

3) start in safe mood with networking/restart

4) tried the fix-it diagnostic once, it didn't resolve the problem

Any other advice? Or can I use the file named TBSWireless.exe from any other toshiba laptop?

Thanks

AnnJay

Hi, found this solution posted by Shima on another thread. It works for me!

_go to START then open ALL PROGRAMS and under TOSHIBA go to UTILITIES and then press RESTART FLASH CARDS_

this is it_this will solve the problem_

gin_s

where is the restart flash cards? I've got a satellite doing this, but can't find the tbs file or the restart flash cards when I follow the paths.

Citrano2012

WW:  THANK YOU!!!  I should have checked the obvious Toshiba Utilities first!!!  That was driving me nuts!  I was helping a friend fix this issue.  After trying everything and checking everywhere online for the solution, this fixed it!!!  Thanks again!!!

X775Usr

I ran into this problem after upgrading a brand new Qosmio X775 from Windows7 Home Premium to Professional.  It was a clean system out of the box.  I upgraded to Win7 Pro and BAM! No wireless.  Running C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TBS\TBSWireless fixed it...at least for now.  I don't know if the fault lies with Microsoft of Toshiba but this stinks.

gibranazeez

WW i love you! its fixed..my wireless is fixed! haha! die evil anti wireless demons :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

grmccandless

[ Edited ]

I too spent hours trying to fix this, went to the  C drive then Program Files/Toshiba/TBS/ TBSWireless then double clicked and it turned the radio button on and it worked!!! Thanks and God Bless!

ivbell

WW - that did the trick. I have an A665-S5170. All of a sudden the wireless wasn't working. I'd done everything I could think of. Thanks!

nateskinner

Holy finally found a solution, Batman!

I've been trying to fix this problem for hours. Toshiba support was zero help and from how many times this issue was submitted to various message boards, I have no idea how this wasn't the very first thing they suggested to me. Instead, they escalated my problem to the top level of support due to the complexity of the issue and were going to charge me an exhorbitant amount of money to "try" to fix it with no guarantees. I am very happy that I decided to keep trying on my own. I owe double double you a great deal of thanks!

nateskinner

If I wasn't clear about the solution that worked for me, it was the following posted by WW in this thread:

Go to the folder on your c drive "Program files\Toshiba\TBS. Then scroll down the list of program files and double click on the file named TBSWireless.exe and hey presto, the wireless communication will turn on (Amber Light will come on on the front bottom right panel of the computer). From now on the FN-F8 Key combination will turn it on and off.