bankshot84

Wifi and LAN not working L305-S5955 Window 7

Hello, I am trying to get my moms laptop working right. First I had to reset the bios password, after that flashed bios to most current, then I installed a new HD and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 home. Everything seemed like it went perfect but after setup completed I log onto my network and then wifi just drops with an x over the signal bars, tried to plug it directly through a ethernet cable but nothing. I used a usb wifi adapter to get online with it to update and install all drivers recommended on toshiba(downloads windows 7 upgrade instructions). I've tried unistalling the realtek drivers the installed(many versions for my model) , reset tcpip and winsock, changed the power management for the wifi. Not sure what else to do, please help and I would appreciate your time. Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Wifi and LAN not working L305-S5955 Window 7

[ Edited ]

Satellite L305-S5955 Specifications

Satellite L305-S5955 Downloads

Your mom's system originally came with Vista 32, and is only capable of handling a maximum of 4GB of RAM.  So, you should have only installed Windows 7 32bit edition, not the 64 bit edition.

As well, Toshiba laptops are very finicky about only working properly with the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers and hardware utilities, not with those from Windows Update, the chip makers, or some third party source. In addition, this system will still need to use a few of Toshiba supplied Vista drivers/utilities, as well as some Windows 7 ones.

Ideally your mom has the set of the Toshiba Recovery disks she should have made when she first got the system, as per page 60 of her User's Guide. Rebuild the Vista installation with that, then upgrade to Windows 7 32bit following the directions below and using the utility. If she never made, or no longer has, a set of Toshiba Recovery disks, you should be able to get everything working still following the directions to make sure you have the correct Toshiba supplied Vista drivers loaded, then using the utility.

How To Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - Sat & Sat Pro L300, Sat 305/350/355

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

bankshot84

[ Edited ]

Hello and thank you for your quick response. Only 4gb of RAM is installed and is running win 7 32bit. She didn't make any recovery disc or have any of her discs. After I got through the bios password  found that the HD wasn't good so installed a new one and used an extra copy of win7 home since I upgraded to pro. Since I have Win7 on the PC do I still use some of the Vista drivers? I have already installed all of those drivers from top to bottom of the list on page 7.1 (upgrade instructions win7) Thanks

[Moderator edit to remove white space. Two pages worth of blank lines on my screen. I assume it was unintentional.]

Super Advisor
miker643

Scroll down to the bottom of this list. This will show which Toshiba supplied Vista hardware drivers and utilities you should be using. Except for the Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator software, all of them should be available for download on your model's download page that I linked above.

Mike