KMenon
Accepted Solution

WiFi conection problem Satellite L675-S7048 - drops connection when on battery only

I have a new Satellite laptop  L675-S7048. The WiFi connection drops very often  when I use it with battery. Works okay (steady) when the power cord is connected. When the WiFi coonection drops it comes back on after clicking the trouble shooting option in the window that pops up. (And drops again after a very short time).

The wireless adapter is Realtek RTL8188CE Windows Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

I have tried going to the device manager and un checking the box which says - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  The problem still exists.

I checked the driver and it is up to date - version 1002.2.428.2010    Date: 4/28/2010

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue.

Thanks,

-Karun

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: WiFi conection problem Satellite L675-S7048 - drops connection when on battery only

Satellite L675-S7048 

I have tried going to the device manager and un checking the box which says - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  

Try this too, Karun.

Open Power Options in Control Panel. For the power plan chosen, click Change plan settings and then click Change advanced power settings. Under Wireless Adapter Settings/Power Saving Mode, choose Maximum Performance.

-Jerry
KMenon

Re: WiFi conection problem Satellite L675-S7048 - drops connection when on battery only

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the suggetion. I tried it out - selected maximum performance for wireless adapter on battery mode.

No luck - the WiFi still drops the connection very quickly.

Thanks,

-Karun

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which card do you have? Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, or Realtek?

-Jerry
KMenon

The WiFi adapter is Realtek.  Windows says the driver is upto date.

Thanks,

-Karun

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..the driver is upto date.

Drivers can change. Won't hurt to reinstall it. I would try them both.

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver (Version 2.00.0013.L_100501 - Released 05/03/10)

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver (Version 2.00.0012.L_100302 - Released 03/12/10)

-Jerry
KMenon

Hi Jerry,

I tried both versions - no luck. The propblem still occurs.

Thanks,

-Karun

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Beginning to sound like a hardware issue. Too bad we can't try another card.

Can't hurt to reset the hardware as follows.

With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for ten seconds.

Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry
Tomek

Hi !

The same problem.

Brand New comp. on battery no connection.

Maybe Toshiba support can answer !!!

I can not find any support contact exept phon # - no e-mail support ???

Tom

KMenon

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem remains after trying evry thing out. So, I thought this was a hardware issue and exchanged my laptop (since it was new) for another one. This also has the exact same problem - wireless works fine when power cord is plugged in - but drops very quickly when it is on battery. I guess this is an issue with this model of the laptop.

Will call up Toshiba support and see if there is a solution.

If nothing works will get a wireless adaptor which plugs into the USB port.

Regards,

-Karun

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sheesh! That is a problem, Karum.

Will call up Toshiba support and see if there is a solution.

Please be sure to come back here and tell us what the Toshiba techs have to say. Thanks!

-Jerry
TerryB

Re: WiFi connection problem Satellite L675-S7048 - drops connection when on battery only

I have had the same problem with a new Satellite L655-S5096. Over the last three nights I have contacted the Toshiba tech support (each night) and my internet service provider(first night). Toshiba tech support has had me update my bios, reinstall drivers, completely remove all power from the computer (shutdown,disconnect external power supply, remove battery and hold power button for 10 seconds, reconnect power, boot and reset the bios). The ISP thought it possibly could be a defective battery. The Toshiba tech support tonight also finally came to the conclusion that it could be a defective battery. I just ordered one form acclaim.toshiba.com

Guess I will see if the new battery helps  

TerryB

Re: WiFi connection problem Satellite L675-S7048 - drops connection when on battery only

I am still wating on a battery, it's back-ordered. I may have solved the problem with my laptop though. I found a new driver on the Realtek website, installed it, and have been connected wirelessly for about an hour or more without any problems. The other thing that is interesting is all of the other network signals in the area are stronger

Hope this may help someone as the toshiba tech support was not any help.

Jerry20195

Brand new laptop L675-S7048 and I have the exact same problem.  It works fine when plugged into the power outlet; but will not work on WiFi nor on 3G aircard when running on battery.

cmfair2003

Brand new L675-S7062 right out of the box.  Experienced repeated WiFi dropout when on the battery.  Tried to update driver.  Didn't help.  Went to Realtek site and downloaded a new driver for the RTL8188CE network adapter.  Problem solved!  Connection is rock solid now.  Here's the Realtek link:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownType...

Civis

Thank you ! I have the same problem with my brand new Toshiba L675 - S7044. I went to the RLT site, but I have a question: Where should I extract the RTL 8188CE Adapter ? On  C//Windows ?

Civis

utlisa82

[ Edited ]

@Civis--I extracted to my downloads folder..I don't think it matter where you extract it.

Thanks all above for your help.  I had the same internet issues.  For anyone else reading this, the upgraded driver is version  1005.8.1101.2010.  Once this is installed, I received a wireless connection without having it plugged in.

steved03

Being a newbie, have a question.

I have same problem with my new laptop.

Downloaded suggested driver, but then how do I install it or whatever I'm supposed to do??

Frustrated, confused

steved03

Just got off phone w/toshiba...very good csr (Loretta).  Confirmed all info. and suggested return of laptop and exchange for another with intel adapter stead of realtek.

Place i bought from (B&H Photo, in NY) indicates on sales ticket they don't accept returns of opened computers??

Loretta confirmed their policy as accepting returns, so I'll try on monday.

Don't know that I'll buy another toshiba though...kind of bad to have this experience with a brand new unit.

Any further suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

BRMK

Same problem...works fine now after updating driver as suggested...thanks!