mwolf

Wi-Fi Hardware Radio Switch off

I have a Satellite A665-S6050 that was working great on Wi-Fi early last week. On Thursday, I tried to go on the internet and my computer can't find any wireless networks. It's not my wi-fi, we have multiple computers accessing the internet no problem. I have added all the latest updates to my machine. I've even tried to restore my computer to a day the wi-fi was working, but it didn't work. I'm on Windows 7 - 64 bit. I can only access the internet when I plug into the router directly. I've checked the wi-fi button and it appears to be working (the red wi-fi light at the bottom of the computer goes off and on. Does anyone know how fix this problem?????? I'm so frustrated!!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Wi-Fi Hardware Radio Switch off

mwolf

I've tried the wi-fi button and the function keys numerous times and it doesn't resolve my problem. I've had this computer for almost 1 1/2 years with no problems. Any other ideas on how to solve this problem?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Can't hurt to reinstall the driver.

Intel Wireless LAN Driver

-Jerry
mwolf

Hi Jerry,

Thanks, I updated the intel driver and now my hardware radio switch is on again. I still can't connect to the internet via wi-fi - I can't find any wi-fi networks. The new error message when i run diagnostics is "problem with wireless adapter or access point." I have other computers on wi-fi so I know it's working. Any ideas?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have other computers on wi-fi so I know it's working.

Still can't hurt to power-cycle the wireless router.

What do you learn from this?

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7

-Jerry
mwolf

I ran the Troubleshoot several times & it couldn't fix the problem. I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but it's already taken up too much of my time.

I gave up and bought a wireless USB adapter for $35 and I'm in business.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sometimes we just need to plough ahead...

-Jerry
Steve_in_Denver

I have battled this a number of times on my Toshiba M645. It always seems to happen whenever the battery dies when I am using the notebook. From what I have been able to dig into, people have been able to reset it by opening up their notebook, taping pin 20 on the wireless card, causing the voltage to drop to zero, and effectively turning the radio switch back on.

Not that I would recommend that, but it does point out one of the gotchas of trying to design an inexpensive but highly complex computer - not everything works perfectly, and getting to the root cause is often difficult. Still, this is an issue that a lot of people are having. To my surprise, I have found a lot of tech advice consisting of "wipe your hard drive and start over". Sort of like saying "Oh my - you have an ingorwn toenail but we can fix it if we cut your leg off."

Now that I have finished my rant, hopefully something helpful:

1.)  Download and install the latest Intel wireless drivers from Intel. Get them from Intel - no one else

(assuming that you are using the Intel Proset Wireless adaptor)

2.) The software swtich to 'brute force' your wireless adaptor back to a healthy communicative state  (i.e. WI-FI HARDWARE RADIO ON) was conveniently ommited from my HWSetup utility. If you installed the latest Intel Drivers, you should have a utility called TBSWireless.exe

You can find the program by navigating to C:-->Program FIles-->Toshiba-->TBS

Look for TBSWireless in the TBS folder. Click it twice to run, and your Wireless radio should now turn on.

kennyg007

L645, W7, all software updated, BIOS 2.1

No F8 to turn wireless on, no light indicating wireless on.

Tried TBSwireless.exe - no effect - wireless still off.

Any other ideas?

kennyg007

I unstalled the wireless driver.  Unplugged the lan, unplugged the AC and removed the battery.  Turned it back on and the wireless lan came back on.  Go figure!