kthomson
Accepted Solution

Unbelieveably slow internet

I just purchased a P505-S8980 laptop. From the beginning, my internet connection is SLOW. I have a network connection rate of 65 MPS on this computer. Right next to it I am running a 3 year old HP with a connect rate of 56 MPS, but it connects to the internet 10 to 20 times faster, and download speeds are 100 times faster. I have already set all power settings to High Performance with no change. I also turned off the 'autotuning', with no effect.

When I try to download a file it will download a few bytes, then hang. I can sometimes get it to restart by pausing the download, then restarting, but never for more than a few seconds.

I have 4 other computers and 2 Tivos that also use wireless internet. They all work fine, it is only this brand new, high end, computer that is having a problem. Two of the computers are running WIndows 7, two are running XP, and the Tivos use UNIX, all working perfectly and at high speed.

I am currently ready to reformat the HD and reinstall the OS without the unnecessary BS that comes preloaded. That is the only thing I can think of that would make an otherwise high speed computer a complete paperweight when it comes to the internet..

Can anyone tell me what else to try before I resort to that?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Unbelieveably slow internet

Satellite P505-S8980 

1. What happens with a wired connection?

2. Run the following commands at an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe) and let us know if the speed changes.

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

netsh int ip set global taskoffload=disabled

2. Just for a test, boot to Safe Mode with Networking and let us know.

Troubleshooting problems while in safe mode

-Jerry
kthomson

I think I found the problem.  Under my wireless network settings I changed the 'TX Power Level' from 'Auto' to '100%'.

I had been having to click on a link two or three times to get a page to pull up, otherwise it would just time-out. I think the adapter was transmitting at a power level too low for the router to recognize, and it appeared slow because the router wasn't getting the request and it would time-out on the computer. It seems to be working fine since I changed that setting.

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for that report.

Poking around, I found somebody in this thread who claims to have had trouble maintaining the connection during sleep when it was set to high power.

-Jerry
kthomson

I wanted to give it a few days to make sure, but so far I haven't had any problems resuming wireless communication on the network after hibernation or sleep mode. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for reporting back.

-Jerry
oldies100

Confirmed.  I just got my new Satellite P500-ST5806 today.  Wireless Internet was very slow.  I changed the "TX Power Level" from "Auto" to "100%" and now the internet is screaming fast.  My unit has Windows 7.  Here's what you click to make the change.

Went into Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. 

Double clicked on Wireless Internet Connection

Hit Properties.

Hit Configure.

Hit Advanced.

Change TX Power Level from Auto to 100%.

Problem solved.

Toshiba needs to change the setting at the factory so that customers don't have this annoying problem.  I was fortunate to get this fixed in less than 1 hour.  I can see others have spent days.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thank you for the confirmation.

-Jerry
nadimsaab

I have the same problem as the others had very slow internet on my new Toshiba 500 my old one is working fine, I have wired internet connection I tried the same way as oldies explained it. I couldn't find XT power Level. It would be appreciated for any solution

kthomson

The TX level only applies to a wireless connection, it means 'Transmit' level. If your connection is wired you have a different issue.

SCallan

Hi,

I just bought a Satellite M645, and I seem to be having the same problem, but because of the differences in the software, I can't follow those steps to reset the transmission speed. Do you know how to do it on the newer system? Also, the problem seems to be more intermittent, as in it was terrible download time yesterday, this morning seems to be better, though not 100%. What should I do?

Shannon

SonoraKay

I just bought the Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5218 yesterday, and have the SAME SLOW problem.  I changed the power setting and so far I am not noticing any improvments.  The page hangs, so I hit F5 and it reloads quicker, but  still slower than my old desktop, and my husbands 10yrs old laptop. This is unacceptable for a brand new pc! 

jstrat

This seems like exactly my problem --- Netbook 255, Windows 7, but I don't see the options listed when I go to the control panel.

Conntrol Panel

Network & Internet

then I have Network & Network Sharing/ Homegroup/ Internet Options

nowhere do I find Properties or anything that suggests TX Power Level

Maybe I'm old, maybe I'm slow: I know the computer is relatively new and very slow (and it has been from the beginning).

chrisred01

I think we've stumbled on a solution to the slow Toshiba laptop internet problem for those of us who can't adjust the TX power level.

Toshiba has an Eco Utility program that I believe is automatically set to 'on'. Turn it 'off'. Ahhh fixed.

With our particular laptop, we found that the internet speed was normal when plugged in, and unbelievably, rediculously, unacceptably, can't believe this bs slow when unplugged. Now, a non issue.

For the people at Toshiba - seriously?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I think we've stumbled on a solution to the slow Toshiba laptop internet problem    ...    Toshiba has an Eco Utility program that I believe is automatically set to 'on'. Turn it 'off'. Ahhh fixed.

With our particular laptop, we found that the internet speed was normal when plugged in, and unbelievably, rediculously, unacceptably, can't believe this bs slow when unplugged. Now, a non issue.

Please tell us more, Chris. Which computer and Windows?

In case you have Windows Vista or 7, a power-level problem when unplugged is well known.

You may experience connectivity issues or performance issues when you connect a mobile PC that is ru...

-Jerry
AG102869

so I've had this C855D-S5900 for a week. internet is awful. I have tried everything listed above and still have issues. I have seen a bit of improvement, but not a whole lot. This has Windows 8 and I thought initially that was my issue, but it seems that it is not the OS since others were having issues with Win 7. I play a specific game on the internet and I can't really play it now. I was able to do it on my old laptop without issue, which was a Lenovo running Windows 7.

I see posts on the internet about how Windows 8 is so fast and so great, but I am not seeing it. Is my problem this laptop or this OS?

should I return this laptop and get a different model? I agree with a comment from someone else "unacceptable for a new pc"

any thoughts or suggestions? please

Andy

P.S. my wife is sitting next to me on the internet with her Acer laptop running Windows 7 and has no internet issues.

Vince67

After six months of frustration, with trying to maintain a connection with the net, your solution rocks!

Really a simple fix! How do we get Toshiba to annonce this to all users!!!

Mine C875 D S7331 Toshiba Sattelite

A slight change for Win 8 Laptops

Control Panel

Network and Internet

Change Adapter Settings (LH column)

Right Click on Wireless Internet Connection

Properties.

Configure.

Advanced.

Change TX Power Level from Auto to 100%.

Problem solved.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C875D-S7331

Good for you, Vince!

Just wanted to add..

In any recent version of Windows, you can get to that Advanced tab by opening Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and double-clicking on the wireless device (which is under Network adapters).

How do we get Toshiba to annonce this to all users!!!

Trouble is you'll find not all wireless adapters have a TX Power Level setting. Your spec doesn't say which adapter you have. I believe Realtek has that setting.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Advanced tab from other computers. The one on the right is from a Windows 8 machine.

both2.jpg

-Jerry
SFSympa

Recently bought Toshiba Satellite C55-A5285 laptop and have practically no wi-fi due to slowness. It's currently at about 15 Kb/s which is a heck of improvement over my 5 Kb/s previously but still worthless. If this thread is representative, this is a perennial problem with Toshiba laptops. The solutions are all over the place and make little sense. I may install Win 7 to see if the problem exists with it. If so, I think I'll return the unit and get my money back. I've worked with quite a few laptops and tablets and this is the worse I've ever seen. I had the impression Toshiba was a good brand but I'm beginning to wonder.

SFSympa

I was going to install Win 7 as a dual boot to test Wi-Fi. Talk about a head ache. I can't figure out who has screwed things up the most - Microsoft or Toshiba. This is a step by step Google search repeatedly just to get into bios. At any rate, I did get Toshiba security turned off so I could dvd boot to Win 7 disk. The problem is that it loads part way and then freezes. At this point, I don't have a month to continue trouble shooting. I really don't want to wipe out the hard drive to install Win 7 assuming it will install with fewer problems than I encountered trying to dual boot. Then, reinstall the origonal system from my recovery disks wiping out a weeks worth of work making Win 8 work the way I want it. I guess I'll keep tinkering with wi-fi trying all the half-assed answers I find on the net trying to get it to work. The net answers tend to consist of turning off various wi-fi services. It works for one person, not another. Generally, I can't think of any rational reason why it should work. One method I would like to try involves using netsh commands to turn off several services. The only catch, one needs full administrator priviledges. To turn that on, you need to buy Win 8 Pro. Good luck with that. At any rate, I'll check back here from time to time to see if anyone has further luck and will add anything I discover. We should not have to be doing this. Toshiba should ship their laptops so they work out of box, particularly with a service as basic as wi-fi.