Mark_Robson2000

Turn wireless on button is greyed out

Hello, 

I cannot turn on the wifi in my laptop i have Toshiba Satellite A500-138 and i bought this laptop two years ago and never had such a probelm. i try the FN/f8 option and don't work, I tried to reinstall the wifi in netwrok adapter also did not work.Also the wifi switch in front is lighted and on. When i go to windows mobility center it says wireless is off and it wont let me click on the turn on wireless button because its greyed out.

Please i need help, i tried everything and searched in google.. can anyone help me how to solve this problem? 

Thank you so much,

Mark

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Turn wireless on button is greyed out

Satellite A500-138 (PSAM3E-013011G3)

Mark, try reinstalling the Toshiba Value Added Package and the Intel Wireless LAN driver.

Your downloads are here.

-Jerry
Mark_Robson2000

Thank you for replying -Jerry

sorry for late reply, i had exams i was busy. 

I tried reinstalling these from the link you gave me.

Wireless driver was installed succesfully but the Toshiba Value Added Package when i try to install it, it says that i have an older version and that i should remove it by going to remove/add programs in the control panel, but when i go there i can't seem to find it. I searched for it in program files in the folder Toshiba and it wasn't there.

I forgot to mention i have vista 32 bit.

And my wifi is still off :smileysad:.

Thank you for your time again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

i should remove it by going to remove/add programs in the control panel, but when i go there i can't seem to find it.

Look for Value Added Package and for Toshiba Value Added Package and for TVAP here.

Control Panel > Programs and Features

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand Network devices. Tell us which Intel Wireless LAN you have. It says something like 2200, 2915, 3945, 4965, 5100, or 5300.

-Jerry
Mark_Robson2000

I still can't find the Toshiba Value added package in the programs and features. Although it says that i have an older version and that i should remove it before installing the new one.

In device manager it says: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Somebody else here (with a Toshiba machine) should be able to tell you how to find the TVAP.

Again..

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand Network devices. Tell us which Intel Wireless LAN you have. It says something like 2200, 2915, 3945, 4965, 5100, or 5300.

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

In my wife's machine with Vista HP, it is listed under Control Panel, Programs and Features as "Toshiba Value Added Package". It is also found at C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Toshiba Value Added Package.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Mark_Robson2000

In device manager it says: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN.

so 5100

And the TVAP is not listed in the programs and features nor in the program files in the toshiba folder. And still when i try to install it, it says i have an older version that i should remove first.

Thank you for replying it helps me a lot since i need my WiFi to study for exams :smileyfrustrated:, meanwhile i use my brothers.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

This is the correct wireless driver.

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945/4965/5100/5300 for Vista 32, 12.4.3.9.0

wlan-intel-3945-4965-v124390-vista32.zip

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Mark, try installing the TVAP this way. Go to Control Panel\Toshiba\TOSAPINS\Toshiba Value Added Package\Manual\ Click on the file shown there. You will get an installer wizard and then follow instructions. The installation will be the original TVAP that was on your machine when you bought it without you doing anything further.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Mark_Robson2000

I installed the  wireless driver its still not working.

Also in control panel there is no icon with the name Toshiba.

My friend told me to try and format my windows, will that work?

Thank you so much.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Sorry about the TVAP false reference, Mark.  I meant C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TOSAPINS\Toshiba Value Added Package\Manual\Click on the file listed there.

C.B.

C.B.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

My friend told me to try and format my windows, will that work?

If the problem is due to software (not hardware), restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media will fix it. But that requires you to back up all your important data files and later reinstall all of your added applications.

See the section System Recovery Options, which begins on p. 3-10 of the User's Manual (attached).

-Jerry
Mark_Robson2000

There is no TOSAPINS in the Toshiba folder in the program files.

Also when i press f8 to recover the computer it wont show the option "repair your computer" maybe this is because i have booted my laptop before and the recovery option is removed.

i will try to boot my laptop next weekend.
If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

My last suggestion is to do the complete recovery Jerry referred to in his last post.

C.B.

C.B.