kneefaceable

Turn on wifi without buttons?! HELP!

I have a Satellite A665-S5170. I don't know how, but my wifi got turned off. My touchpad doesn't work and my FN keys aren't working either! And I can't find a switch on my computer to turn the wifi on. Is there some other way to turn my wifi on other than pressing FN + F8 [which is the button that has the antenna button on it] or pressing the antenna on my touch pad? Help!!!!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Turn on wifi without buttons?! HELP!

Satellite A665-S5170

Is there some other way to turn my wifi on other than pressing FN + F8..

It's at the left end of your Media Control buttons. See Toshiba's Document 98082993.

2ueipvl.jpg

-Jerry
kneefaceable

That doesnt work on my computer, nor do my Function keys. :smileysad: Any other way?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That doesnt work..

Are you saying the Media Control buttons don't do anything?

-Jerry
kneefaceable

That would be correct.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If none of those buttons do anything, reset the computer as follows. With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for 30 seconds.

Re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
pinoyswap

When the media buttons dont do anything, I fix it by downloading and running the latest TVAP from the support website. I select remove on the first run, restart the laptop, run the TVAP again and select complete install.

After a restart the media buttons work again. If I only need to turn the wireless on I simply click start then type tbswireless.exe into the search. this is the software the switch runs to enable or disable the wireless.

HTH.

kneefaceable

Okay, i did all that and now i have a blue screen that pops up when i start my computer, it doesnt even finish running through the windows logo then it just powers off. I did the repair thing thats recommended but it says it cant complete it. So now, my computer doesnt work at all.
kneefaceable

And tbswireless.exe yea. My computer couldnt find that. Tried that and i cant download files if i cant connect to the internet. Oh, and my computer doesnt recognize when a network cable is in place.
Occasional Contributor
pinoywasp

Sad to hear about your episode.

Not presuming that you still want my advise but...

I have recreated that kind of bluescreen by changing the SATA Controller Mode in the BIOS from AHCI to IDE.

Setting the BIOS to defaults sets it back to AHCI (F9, Enter, F10, Enter).

Never experienced bluescreen nor corrupting Windows by uninstalling/reinstalling the TVAP.

TVAP CONTAINS:
Toshiba Components Common Driver (greyed)
Toshiba Button Support
Toshiba Utilities
PC DIAGnostic tool
Toshiba Powersaver
Toshiba Zooming Util
Toshiba Flashcards
The tbswireless.exe is contained by Toshiba Button Support.
If the Toshiba Button Support is in there, this path should lead to it:
C:\Program files\Toshiba\TBS\tbswireless.exe
If you dont have it you really need that TVAP.

kneefaceable

Sooo if i go and reset the bios again it should fix my blue screen? & then i need tvap right?