tgombar

Toshiba Satellite Won't Connect to Unsecured Wi-Fi Network

We have a campus-wide connectivity issue on an unsecured wi-fi network. It seems the only PCs that cannot connect to the wi-fi on campus are Toshiba Satellite laptops. They all are running Windows Vista. However, these same machines do connect to the Internet on secured wi-fi networks on the student's home network and will connect if hard-wire connected to the LAN.

The IT staff at the school has jumped through numerous hoops attempting to connect to the campus unsecured network without any luck. They continuously end up with "media disconnected" prompts regardless of the attempted fixes.

Anyone have any suggested resolutions?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Satellite Won't Connect to Unsecured Wi-Fi Network

Somebody with that problem removed Adobe programs and was able to connect!

No wireless connectivity on campus w Windows 7

Can't hurt to pull on that string and see where it leads.

-Jerry
tgombar

Today I was able to resolve [fingers crossed!] the wireless issue that has been plaguing Toshiba Satellite laptop users on our campus on one student's PC. Only time will tell whether the fix I tried will permanently resolve this issue on other Satillite laptops. The PCs could not communicate with the Primary DNS server although all indications were that the laptop was operating/configured correctly.

This is the procedure I followed [VISTA OS]:

Start, Programs\Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt window.

- Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

- Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

- Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine

I hope this helps someone with a similar issue.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for reminding us of that one. It's a good fix for Winsock and TCP/IP problems.

TCP/IP stack repair for Vista and Windows 7
===========================================

Start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt > select "Run as administrator" to open an elevated command prompt.

In the command-prompt window that opens, type the following three commands, each followed by the Enter key to reset them to installation defaults:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

-Jerry
Raincoat

I was having the very same problem.  This solution did not fix my problem, but  what did work is as follows:

I installed Kapersky Internet Security.  During installation it said it would turn off Windows Defender and now resume the firewall duty.  I took that at face value, as Defender was showing it was off.  I tried dozens of solutions to connect to a public wifi spot, but nothing worked.  Even turned Kapersky's firewall off.  Finally I went to take a much closer look at Windows Defender and noticed that it was shut down to everything EXCEPT public network connections.  It was still blocking those while Kapersky was set to allow them.  It seems to have solved my problem.  Norton may work similarly, but I can't say for sure anymore as I have not used it since 2007.  But I do know back then Norton said it would shut down Windows Defender for me during installation.

Possibly this could be helpful for others.  I hope.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..closer look at Windows Defender and noticed that it was shut down to everything EXCEPT public network connections. 

Thanks for that, Raincoat.

Norton's software (even after a normal uninstall) has also been known to cause this.

Can not connect to unsecured networks

-Jerry