erikklass

Toshiba Satellite L655: wireless connection is very slow

I have a brand new Toshiba Satellite L655-S5096 and an old Netgear router (WGR614 v.1).

Two problems:

1) My computer won't connect automatically to the router. I have to type in the IP address, etc. This is not a big deal, except if I go somewhere, I need to return to "obtain IP address automatically." Again, no big deal, but a hassle. I only mention in case it has something to do with....

2) My wireless connection is very slow, about 0.5 Bbps. My old (2002) entry-level Dell on the other side of the room gets around 3.0 Bbps. My new computer seems to work fine using other routers (at other locations). My guess is my wireless adapter (Realtek RTL8188CE) is not communicating well with the router.

I've tried connecting in run-safe mode. I've tried installing the newest Realtek driver. I've spent hours on the phone with Toshiba phone support. Nothing seems to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Toshiba Satellite L655: wireless connection is very slow

Satellite L655-S5096 

It's pretty common for Windows 7 to have trouble with an older router. You can test it.

Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool

Let's see what you learn from your question in the Netgear forum.

WGR614 runs slow

-Jerry
erikklass

Thanks for the quick reply, Jerry.

The UPnP Support Test was "not supported." (All other tests passed.) So I enabled UPnP on my router and reran the test. Everything passed the second time. But...

...no change in connection speed.

No responses from the Netgear site (but lots of views, in just one day). I also emailed Realtek yesterday. No response. Any other ideas?

Occasional Contributor
vipergg

Go to the realtek site and use their driver , its much newer and will probably fix your issue.It fixed my continually dropping connections instantly.Don't use toshibas driver.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Is it also slow when you use the Ethernet connection?

Is it slow on both battery and AC power?

I've spent hours on the phone with Toshiba phone support.

Be nice to know what else you tried.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

If you've tried the Toshiba drivers to no avail:

Go to www.realtek.com to download the latest driver RTL8188CE driver.

Nll
Nll

Mynew  Toshiba same problem, and my adaper Broadcom.  My Dell laptop, no problems! download 9.0 mbps download on Toshiba .52mbps ..  Way different.  There are way too many complaints on Toshiba board about the same thing.   Toshiba needs to step up and fix this!

Zapper

I recently starting using WiFi with my Toshiba Satellite L655-S5155 and although the connection was strong the internet connection would drop every couple of minutes for a minute or longer and then return.  I followed TheWarrior's suggestion and downloaded the latest driver (RTL8188CE) from www.realtek.com.  No more problems.

Thanks

Router, Asus RT-N56U